Old 07-31-2019, 01:11 PM   #1

Bad transfer switch?

Hello
I was coming home from vacation and I stopped my generator while I got gas. When I restarted it it sent no power to the camper. No power to AC, microwave etc. could the transfer switch be bad? Or could it be something else. If something else what could it be? Also where is the transfer switch in a 2019 3010ds.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Might be any of a number of things, but a frequent cause is the circuit breaker on the generator itself. Mine has tripped a couple of times. Mine is on the generator baseplate accessible through the external generator door.

JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:40 PM   #3

Ok. Iíll try that. Thanks
Old 07-31-2019, 02:26 PM   #4

Just checked the on off switch on the generator on the baseplate was in the on. Position
Old 07-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #5

On off switch is not the circuit breakers. They are down low on the right side. They trip sometimes.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #6

Ok. Iíll look again. Thanks appreciate the help.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:40 PM   #7

Success! The on off switch is the circuit breaker in the new Cummins qg4000 generator. Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-31-2019, 07:31 PM   #8

i'm assuming you were running the generator so you could run the a/c while travelling. how did you turn off the generator? just flip the generator switch off? and then how did you start the generator? just flip it back on? did you turn the a/c off before you shut off the generator? and did you get the generator started and allow it to stabilize before you restarted the a/c?

remove the loads from the generator when you start it. you may have tripped the circuit breaker as soon as the generator tried to produce power and it saw the start up loads from the a/c and other devices.

i find it very hard to believe that the on-off switch for the generator is the circuit breaker. the circuit breaker is on the output 110 volt wiring. the generator on/off switch is on the 12 volt input wiring. (i am assuming an onan generator).
Old 07-31-2019, 07:32 PM   #9

did you ever find the transfer switch? if not this would still be a good time to locate it. find the 120 volt output cables from the generator and follow them. they will go to the transfer switch.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
i'm assuming you were running the generator so you could run the a/c while travelling. how did you turn off the generator? just flip the generator switch off? and then how did you start the generator? just flip it back on? did you turn the a/c off before you shut off the generator? and did you get the generator started and allow it to stabilize before you restarted the a/c?

remove the loads from the generator when you start it. you may have tripped the circuit breaker as soon as the generator tried to produce power and it saw the start up loads from the a/c and other devices.

i find it very hard to believe that the on-off switch for the generator is the circuit breaker. the circuit breaker is on the output 110 volt wiring. the generator on/off switch is on the 12 volt input wiring. (i am assuming an onan generator).

Yes running ac. My son switched it off and on while i was driving. Donít know if he properly shut off ac before restarting.

As for the circuit breaker the on off switch was the only switch in my Cummins generator. I looked everywhere and could not find another switch like a circuit breaker.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:14 PM   #11

Quote:
did you ever find the transfer switch? if not this would still be a good time to locate it. find the 120 volt output cables from the generator and follow them. they will go to the transfer switch.

Never found it. I will look thanks!
Old 07-31-2019, 08:16 PM   #12

https://www.rvautoparts.com/assets/images/320-1572.jpg

This is what the on off switch in my generator looks like.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:26 PM   #13

that is a circuit breaker. is that what you flip to start and stop the generator? it can't be. there is no 120 volt power present in the generator when you first turn it on.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:34 PM   #14

No there is a separate toggle switch to start and stop the generator. It has a red light on one side of the switch.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #15
Usually Confused Member

The transfer switch is probably I. The storage compartment immediately behind the pax side tires. You have to remove the black side wall cover (easy). It’s the one with the door to access the water pump and filter.

The transfer switch on my unit was acting up a lot. When I opened it up I found a lot of sawdust debris. Used high pressure air to clean it and haven’t had any problems since.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #16
Usually Confused Member

Quote:

Items mentioned not a problem. The Onan will run 30-45 seconds and be fully stabilized before sending power to the transfer relay. If the switch sees voltage dropping (during shutdown) it instantly opens and removes power to the coach. In that case itís no difference for the AC than if you just hit the AC shutoff switch.

If you leave the AC switch on then when it gets power from the generator it only starts the fan, followed by the compressor 6-10 seconds later. No problem at all for the Onan. The microwave wonít start until you walk back and push the button. If it was ďonĒduring shutdown it defaulted to an off condition. The only other high amp 110 v system is the water heater, but thatís under 10 amps and shouldnít be a problem.

I always leave the AC on when removing power. The only time I use the generator is for short rest stops or other short events where AC is nice to have. Five minutes before stopping I start the Onan using the iPhone app and 30 or so seconds later the AC starts doing its thing. That way the back of the coach is nice and cool when I stop.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker, switch, transfer switch