Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #1

Batteries Dead Again

2006 Forester Class C
When I remove the power cord and turn off the DC switch it take about two weeks and I loose all battery power including starting battery. Something must be draining the batteries but I have no clue. ANY SUGGESTIONS
carlcaudill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcaudill View Post
2006 Forester Class C
When I remove the power cord and turn off the DC switch it take about two weeks and I loose all battery power including starting battery. Something must be draining the batteries but I have no clue. ANY SUGGESTIONS
Assuming you use a battery disconnect and assuming those batteries are original, I believe they are at the end of their useful life. Batteries rarely last 7 years and retain capacity, reliably.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd also do a load test on batteries.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #4

The battery that starts the vehicle was replaced about 6 weeks ago and I thought when you turned the DC switch off you turned everything off so there would be no drain on the battery
Old 10-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcaudill
The battery that starts the vehicle was replaced about 6 weeks ago and I thought when you turned the DC switch off you turned everything off so there would be no drain on the battery
Nope the chassis battery is similar to other vehicle batteries, any drain should be tiny like a radio preset mem. Your situ is remarkable though i can leave mine for a couple months ant still starts. Anyway heres a test you can try. Lift one lead from the battery with no load on it. If it does spark beteem cable and post then remove other cable and returm to vendor. If it does spark big time then look for chassis drain
Old 10-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

But when I turn off the DC switch shouldn't that keep the coach battery from draining and doing dead. The coach battery and the chassis battery are both going dead after about two weeks. Sorry but still confused.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Aren't motor homes a bit different than campers where a cut out switch should actually remove power to the entire camper. I would think your "front end" will still use power to maintain engine computer settings and radio presets and run the clock, right?

Also looking at this wiring diagram it seems the BCC to propane detector is always hot. It uses about 700 milliamps all the time. That will kill a fully charged battery in a few weeks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Georgetown Battery Connect Center 113174 1 OF 1[1].pdf (318.6 KB, 33 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #8

Thank you herk7769
I think you are correct about the chassis battery, but I would think it would last a lot longer then two weeks. I wouldn't think it would have any more every day drain on it then my pick up truck and it will last a lot longer then two weeks
Old 10-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #9

Thank you VinceU
Tried your test and removed the neg lead from the battery and touched it to the post and there were no sparks, tried it with the pos lead and still no sparks. The battery has been charged and will start vehicle.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thank you herk7769
I think you are correct about the chassis battery, but I would think it would last a lot longer then two weeks. I wouldn't think it would have any more every day drain on it then my pick up truck and it will last a lot longer then two weeks
I agree. Something is on. Maybe the radio muted.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Thank you VinceU
Tried your test and removed the neg lead from the battery and touched it to the post and there were no sparks, tried it with the pos lead and still no sparks. The battery has been charged and will start vehicle.
Couple questions, what's the charging source. Newer unit have chassis and coach parallel charging while travling and on shore power. Do you have meters on these batteries? How old is the coach battery? Any chance the start battery can be leaking through defective circuits back through the coach battery? And lastly how do define "charged"?
Old 10-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #12

Plugged into 30amp outlet and charged both batteries. Do not have meters on batteries and the coach battery could be original but when they checked the batteries about 6 weeks ago and told me the chassis battery was bad and replaced it they said the coach battery was ok but I don't know.
The generator and the engine would not turn over because the batteries was run down and after plugging them into the 30amp outlet for a while both the generator and engine would start
Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Plugged into 30amp outlet and charged both batteries. Do not have meters on batteries and the coach battery could be original but when they checked the batteries about 6 weeks ago and told me the chassis battery was bad and replaced it they said the coach battery was ok but I don't know.
The generator and the engine would not turn over because the batteries was run down and after plugging them into the 30amp outlet for a while both the generator and engine would start
It's a real possibility the converter is putting out less than needed voltakge. You should pick up a inexpensive voltmeter and using the DC scale measure + and - terminals at about 13.6+ VDC or more. Gotta believe a meter will help. Take readings every couple hours see if things improve. Does not sound like poor connections, wouldn't start at all. Both batteries are involved for engine, chassis bat. And coach bat starts gen. One start each sounds like surface charge, not deep charge you need.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Vince has a great point. Deep discharge batteries need HOURS and sometimes DAYS on the charger to replace capacity.

A 100 amp hour battery being charged at the (attached chart of 3 stage charging current) rate at each stage will step down from about 8 amps to less than 400 milliamps at "trickle" which kicks in at 90% capacity.

A fully discharged 100 amp battery on the converter will take 3 days plugged in to replace that 100 amp/hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	20713  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Automobile Alternators as Chargers.pdf (805.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf Trojan battery user guide.pdf (548.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #15

After the new chassis battery was installed the RV was plugged in for three weeks, we went on a weekend trip that was about 80 miles away. The RV was plugged in to 30amp service while there and return trip was another 80 miles. Parked RV without connecting any electric and turned off battery disconnect and both batteries was dead after two weeks.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
After the new chassis battery was installed the RV was plugged in for three weeks, we went on a weekend trip that was about 80 miles away. The RV was plugged in to 30amp service while there and return trip was another 80 miles. Parked RV without connecting any electric and turned off battery disconnect and both batteries was dead after two weeks.
When you are plugged into campground power, what is the voltage reading AT THE BATTERY?

When you are plugged into the running truck, what is the voltage reading AT THE BATTERY?

BOTH scenarios require the voltage to be above 12.9 volts Should be at least 13.2 if the converter/alternator is outputting correctly.

Also 2 weeks is about right to completely discharge an OEM battery with just internal parasite draws (about 900 milliamps).
Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #17

My coach batteries will run down in about two weeks with the CD batt d,is connect off. If I shut off the propane detector, the batts will last a little longer.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #18

Sent post too soon.... My engine battery doesn't seem to be affected by house drain. Will actually last months. My car sits in storage three months while we are in FL and starts upon our return...

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302
Sent post too soon.... My engine battery doesn't seem to be affected by house drain. Will actually last months. My car sits in storage three months while we are in FL and starts upon our return...

Bill
Yes deep cycle do self discharge quicker, but two weeks is premature. Can always try the spark test removing the neg cable. If big its outside load. If none batt is self consuming and gettig weak. Can always have a load test performed, this will give yoi idea how to proceed.

Tags
battery