Old 11-22-2016, 09:54 PM   #1

Batteries run down...nothing being used.

2016 Forester 3011DS.

When I park it but do not turn on the battery disconnect the batteries will be almost dead within 24 hrs. The only thing I can see that is on is the LED time on the stereo (over the door) and the carbon monoxide detector.

As I type this I thought of the vacuum cleaner charger being plugged in but nothing in it to be charged but.... ??

Anyway, any ideas what might be the big draw on the batteries??
Just looking for ideas or suggestions.

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forester 3011DSF
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:30 PM   #2

Tried a different search process and found some threads regarding this issue. I am surprised how fast it appears the batteries can be drained.

Will have them checked to make sure they are okay. Will not leave it parked without turning the battery disconnect on. Considering getting a battery tender.
Not necessarily that brand but that idea.

If I do that I assume (gee, that never gets me in any trouble) that I would hook up the red clamp to positive and then hook up the black clamp to the other battery (there are two) on the negative post. ????

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forester 3011DSF
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:56 AM   #3
Site Team

Or you could plug into shore power and let the converter keep the batteries charged.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #4

I have a 16' 3011 myself and had a few days this summer where I had no shore power and had to keep the fridge running using propane. I did not take any steps to turn off or disconnect anything else and was never less than 12.25 volts then next morning when I would then run the generator for about and hour to charge up the batteries. It would seem that your batteries are not charging correctly or something else is draining the battery faster than it should.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #5

i have killed one with the carbon dixoide sensor
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #6

Carbon Monoxide detector

Left my fifth at an rv dealer and battery died quickly and was told the detector will kill the battery
hguld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #7

Batteries run down...nothing being used.

I left mine unplugged(after bringing home) ...it was dead in a few days. I guess it didn't hurt the battery...seems fine after plugging up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon View Post
2016 Forester 3011DS.

When I park it but do not turn on the battery disconnect the batteries will be almost dead within 24 hrs. The only thing I can see that is on is the LED time on the stereo (over the door) and the carbon monoxide detector.

As I type this I thought of the vacuum cleaner charger being plugged in but nothing in it to be charged but.... ??

It sounds like you haven't performed any testing.

1) Describe "dead". So dead the LED lights won't work... or the slide won't work... how dead?If you mean stone cold dead (sorry to get so technical the batteries are probably shot.

2) Informational only, but when you say you have two batteries, do you mean to 2 house batteries or a house and a chassis battery?

3) When you parked, was this at the end of a long drive?

The parasitic drain "issue" you will read about on this forum until your eyes bleed, is tiny, but even a tiny load is discharging the battery or battery bank. It will eventually kill a nice set of new batteries, essentially ruining them, but what has to be the most common issue is the battery (or more) were not charged or bad at the start.

Battery maintenance is something every RV owner should know about, of have a good dealer or RV mechanic handy.

Premature comment without knowing more.... overnight stops should not be an issue, if you have a good battery at the start. Forget the trickle charger for overnight stops. Like already mentioned, if you have power, why wouldn't you plug your motorhome and let the converter do its job?
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon View Post
2016 Forester 3011DS.

You might just have bad batteries. I would have them tested.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #10

There are parasitic drains on the battery. If you aren't plugged into shore power, use the battery disconnect or a aftermarket battery disconnect switch. On a motor home the house battery will drain first then the chassis battery.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #11

Watch for a Harbor Freight ad that offers a free digital VOM with any purchase and you can have one to keep in your rig. Learn how to use it to measure current and look for parasitic drains starting at the fuse panel. If you don't find them there, check for additional wires coming directly off of the battery and/or the main shutoff relay. These additional wires should all have inline fuses near the battery that can be used as test points for current draw.

I have a solar/wind/battery powered building and was surprised to see how easily a 2-3A continuous load (base load) could drain down 660A of batteries when there was a week of cloudy weather. That problem was solved by changing how the solar panels were wired to provide charge on cloudy days, changing the charge controller to a better one, and significantly decreasing the base load by eliminating all AC powered devices.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #12

Sounds like 1, you house battery(s) are probably needing replacement, 2, you have some parasitic losses like the Co detector and 3, I'd leave it shore powered and let the converter keep the battery (s) charged. A battery tender won't keep them charged. Battery Renders only supply 100 Ma, not enough current to offset your loss (unless you discinnect the battery (s) from the unit via a disconnect and hook the tender direct to the batteries.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #13

You need a digital AC/DC clamp meter ($50) to see what kind of drain you have on your battery when "everything is turned off".
Once you know the drain... you multiply those amps by 24 to get a daily amp hour drain. Then you can see if it is reasonable your batteries are "dead" after a day or two. Your battery amp hours for a pair of Group24's is 150...Group 27's 200 and Group 31's 210 typically...close enough for estimates. If they are going flat quickly with less of a daily load... there's a battery problem. If their going flat because your load can't be supported for a day...then you have to start hunting for the culprits. With your meter showing the load....start pulling your 12V fuses one at a time to see where the load is coming from.
Good luck.
If I had to take an initial guess...it would be that you are not starting with full batteries and therefore your parasitic loads are quickly flattening them.
The converter in your RV will take at least SiX hours...and overnight is better... to fully charge a pair of batteries that are 1/2 full. You can either plug in the RV to do that or run the generator and plug into that...but it takes a lot longer than people think...and if you don't fully recharge them they will fail sooner....especially if deeply discharged below 50%. Here's an example of an AC/DC clamp meter to put on your RED battery wire for testing the draw.
https://www.amazon.com/Professional-...1%2C4959988011
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #14

Battery drain.

I was surprised that after 2 weeks in storage that my new 12 volt batteries would have droppped to 2/3 charge on the panel. I had the shore power plugged in to a heavy duty 24 hour timer that came on for 90 minutes a day to keep batteries topped off. After seeing 90 minutes was not enough I switched to 3 hours and that still did not do it. So I just plugged in 24/7. As far as I know the only drain on the batteries is the co detector. I unplugged the 12 volt fuse for the detector and a red led comes on on the panel to show an open circuit. Does anyone know how much juice the co detector draws? With a automatic 3 stage converter that has a float/trickle stage it should be okay to just leave it plugged in 24/7. I am concerned about over charging as I cannot check it every day. I was told that the converter also charges the chassis battery.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #15
World Wide Wanderer

On my motor home the converter DOES NOT charge the chassis battery, just the house batteries.

There are lots of things that create the parasitic draw. Stereo's, CO and LP detectors, Television antenna booster, inverters (if installed) and some control boards. The only absolute, positive way to stop them is to disconnect the battery cable. The factory installed battery switches don't disconnect the detectors for safety reasons.

I currently have a WFCO 8955 converter in my moho, it stays plugged in 24/7. So far I have to only top the water in the batteries up once back in September and it wasn't much. The 8955 converter is a three stage, it does have issues going into bulk mode, but those are a known problem with most WFCO units. It does just fine on the float mode and does not overcharge the batteries. Only down side is if it craps out on you won't find out until your batteries are dead. That happened on my last RV, it was plugged in, I came home from a week on the road and walked into it and the lights would not come on. Happens. Replaced the WFCO with a Progressive Industries after WFCO gave me the run around on warranty replacement.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #16
2012 Solera

Different units are often wired differently. On our 2012 Solera MBS, the disconnect switch does disconnect the CO/Propane detector. The slideout and step both work with the disconnect turned off. I think the converter is disconnected by the disconnect switch; I understand from this forum that FR changed that when they went to the Progressive converter. I think some 'memory' devices - like the dash radio memory connection on mine; maybe slideout memories on units with "smart" slideout controllers (mine does not have - slideout stops, alignment on mine are mechanical), etc - stay connected with the switch off so as to maintain their memory.
YMMV!
Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #17

Batteries?

So if the converter does not charge your chassis battery when plugged in then your coach batteries do not charge while driving?
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #18
2012 Solera

No experience driving our Solera with the switch off, so I don't know if the house batteries charge under that condition. Of note, the chassis charges the house batteries through a different circuit than the converter does ("BIRD" circuit, I believe) so could be either way.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #19

Easy fix. Are you leaving your "brake away" cable plugged in?
It happened to me with my 5th wheel. I was unplugging the cable when my rv was in storage and doing that you activated the electrical brakes. Let it plug in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
You might just have bad batteries. I would have them tested.
Hman0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:28 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman0109 View Post
Easy fix. Are you leaving your "brake away" cable plugged in?
It happened to me with my 5th wheel. I was unplugging the cable when my rv was in storage and doing that you activated the electrical brakes. Let it plug in!
The OP has a motor home, not a trailer.
so no breakaway cable involved.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote