Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #1

Battery Box Fixes

I've read some good tips on this forum and I thought to share some of my fixes already made.

It started when I pulled my battery cover off on the 3171DS and noticed one end of the hold down strap was loose. The end cleat had somehow popped loose. I went ahead and pulled the batteries out and cleaned the bottom of the box then sprayed it with spray-in truckbed liner. I then set in a sheet of rubber mat, the same used in a toolbox drawer.
I also found the bottom wire passage hole opened. It was foam sealed but it came loose. I installed a rubber grommet plug and sealed with urethane caulk.

I re-installed the batteries and then connected up my BatteryMINDer on-board battery conditioner. I have used the BatteryMINDer with great success in the past. It works at conditioning both batteries since the batteries are connected parallel.
Once the hold down strap was installed I put a bead of urethane caulk on the outside of the battery box where the cleats push through. This will hold the cleats onto the battery box sidewall when the hold down strap is loosened.
I buttoned the battery box back up and removed the battery isolator cover to check the terminations. When I removed the thumbscrew, I dropped one and it rolled under the coach. Not wanting to have this happen when camping I placed o-rings on the thumbscrew thread once they were inserted into the cover plate. This will hold the thumbscrew in place when the cover plate is removed.

Bobby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batteries.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	35661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Box.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	35662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Box and plug.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	35663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Minder.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	35664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Isolator panel without o-rings.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	35666  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Isolator panel with o-rings.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	35668  
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Good job on that upgrade. Always good to know its done exactly how you want. Gives you some peace of mind. I don't think I've ever gotten "through" with upgrading or modifying stuff. Every time i turn around i find something i want to change. Everything on a RV could stand to be a little better.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #3

Bgilly, Sounds like you really sealed up the battery box. Hopefully you left a vent path somewhere to prevent hydrogen gas buildup unless you have sealed batteries. My factory batteries were not.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
Bgilly, Sounds like you really sealed up the battery box. Hopefully you left a vent path somewhere to prevent hydrogen gas buildup unless you have sealed batteries. My factory batteries were not.
My batteries are sealed but there is some venting allowances just so the heat can escape. Sealing the holes was more to keep moisture from the road travel out as well as the rodents.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
ETF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Everything on a RV could stand to be a little better.
Isn't that the truth.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote