Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 09:38 PM   #1

Battery drain???

Have a 2016 Forester 3011DS, front entertainment center. Have had an issue with the batteries going down significantly even with the battery disconnect on. Nothing should be drawing the battery down in such a short time (matter of days).

It is currently at the dealer (have done very well for me so far). They show a 3 amp draw, with the battery disconnect on. They have pulled all fuses (one at a time) in both fuse boxes and identifies the draw. Still show a 3 amp draw on the batteries. None of the fuses showed what the problem is.

They are still looking but just wondered if anyone has any ideas what the problem might be??? 3 amp draw even with the battery disconnect on.
Hmmmm

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #2

I've read on here that there will still be a slight draw with the disconnect on. I started shutting the main 30amp circuit breaker also. I just started doing the a few weeks ago, so I'll know if it did anything when I go to start up the generator next week.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:17 AM   #3

I have the same problem on our 3171. I either disconnect one negative cable or hook up a battery tender.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #4

A 3A draw with the disconnect on is a lot. Since you had all fuses pulled and still saw the draw, then I would start looking at items that are directly connected to the batteries such as levelers if you have them.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:20 AM   #5

I would just put in a cutoff between the negative post and the frame ground point. Done.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:45 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I would just put in a cutoff between the negative post and the frame ground point. Done.
While this may solve the storage problem, a 3 amp draw with the disconnect on needs to be tracked down. The OP will have a hard time boondocking with a phantom 3 amp draw.

You may need to trace wires to make sure that only items that are supposed to be on the "always hot" circuit are on it; and someone did not take a shortcut and add something else.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #7

Just for the record --- dealer called said they fixed it. Not sure how or why but it's fixed.

Said they did all the fuses and then started tracking individual wiring. Said they found one that was black and white but not sure what it was for. Called Forest River and got electrical schematic. Appeared that wire should be for either the outside lights, the awning or another light that I forget where/what it was.

They disconnected the wire and viola the draw went away.

BUT, there was an issue as ALL the lights still worked, the awning worked and they couldn't find anything that didn't work!

Dealer said the factory said it was a phantom draw. Apparently something that happens rarely but occasionally and to leave it capped off (shouldn't be a problem). Dealer is stumped but said they've tried everything electrical on the coach and it all still works.

I'm just glad they fixed (?) it and guess we'll just see if I can find anything that doesn't work when we go out next month (first trip for 2017). With my luck the toilet won't flush and somehow it'll be because of that wire.

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #8

johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #9

If I were you, I would like to see that schematic. If there is one for your unit, it will be a first. FWIW, I have .2 to .3A draw with battery disconnected (OEM) which the only thing that's there is the slide controller. I thought the CO detector was part of that load, but it turns out it runs on a 12v light circuit, which the disconnect removed. So, now I have a disconnect that allows me to split the batteries (have 4 GC-2s), run all or disconnect completely. But, I very very seldom disconnect... just while performing maintenance.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #10

i'd sure want to know what is going on. 3 amps really does sound way out of line for a phantom draw. and things like lights and awnings really shouldn't be part of a phantom draw as they are controlled by off / on switches. when their switch is off they are not connected to the battery. are you the original owner or has a previous owner had the opportunity to 'improve' the factory wiring?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #11

Where can I get one of those electric toilets? Must have a seat warmer.
Jack Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:54 PM   #12

While getting to know our 3051S I found a 10 amp fuse at the water pump behind a compartment within a compartment and at least one more under the vehicle that may go to the hydraulic jacks. Also learned that those jacks and the entry door light stay on when the batteries disconnect is in the off position. Another discovery was lights in 3 compartments that were not shown to me. They are connected with black and white wires. You may want to see if you now have non operational compartment lights if indeed you have any.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #13

just a thought about lights and stuff that bypasses te disconnect. someting like a light is normally controlled by a on / off switch. if the switch is turned off the light will not drain the battery. you say the entry way light stay on. is is actually on or is it just wired so that it will come on when the door is opened. if so, it will be off when the door is closed and will not be draining the battery. the jacks are wired to the battery so you can operate them at any time. however, there is likely that they cause a drain. if there is a remote fob included with them the reciever in the control board must draw a small amount from the batteries in order to be active and listen for the remote. even if there is no remote but there is a circuit board to control them there is most probably a small draw. i hd problems with the batteries draining even when the factory installed disconect switch was off (disconnected). i added a new disconnect switch right on the battery terminal and now the batteries keep charge for for a couple of months (maybe more but i have let them go longer).

Tags
battery, drain