Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #21

I have read another post on this issue but it pertains to the MB chassis. It appears the MB chassis BCC does at times charge the chassis battery. According to the information this can be difficult to determine with a simple one time test with voltmeter. I would assume the BCC on the Fords should be similar in function.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
I have read another post on this issue but it pertains to the MB chassis. It appears the MB chassis BCC does at times charge the chassis battery. According to the information this can be difficult to determine with a simple one time test with voltmeter. I would assume the BCC on the Fords should be similar in function.
Simple test. Measure the voltage on the house batteries. Start up. Measure the voltage on the house again. It should come up (maybe to 14 or so) if the BCC is charging the house with the alternator. Another test is to then measure the voltage on the chassis battery with the engine running and then the house...if the BCC connects the two, the voltage on both banks will be the same.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #23

Yes we are are trying to determine if the house converter charges the chassis battery when plugged into shore power.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #24

Probably does

Quote:
Yes we are are trying to determine if the house converter charges the chassis battery when plugged into shore power.
Here is what the Tech Support Rep from Precision Circuits said -

"Please visit our website for the 00-10021-??? Series of Battery Isolation products. Your BCC comes equipped with one of theses and functions the same."

Here is a link to the operating manual for the BIM. My take on the BIM is that it WILL connect house and chassis batteries together when operating on generator or shore power under certain conditions - which is why sometimes the chassis battery shows 13.7 or so volts and other times 12.7 or so. Please keep in mind I have the MBS chassis and a BCC that looks like the attached PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 00-10033-200-FR-BCC-RevC(1).pdf (39.8 KB, 93 views)
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Do the same test. measure the voltage on the chassis battery, then plug into shore power and make sure the converter is running. You should see the same voltage on the house as the chassis and it should be 13.2 volts or higher.

2015 335DS
Old 03-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Seems that I read somewhere that was a misunderstanding.
Yes, they are interconnected on the MBS, however the battery controller will not let the RV coach drain the chassis battery.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Simple test. Measure the voltage on the house batteries. Start up. Measure the voltage on the house again. It should come up (maybe to 14 or so) if the BCC is charging the house with the alternator. Another test is to then measure the voltage on the chassis battery with the engine running and then the house...if the BCC connects the two, the voltage on both banks will be the same.
Have tested and yes, the MBS alternator charges the house batteries. Others can test on other Forester models but it's very likely the same battery control circuitry.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #28

Have 2016 Forester GTS 2801QSF on a Ford chassis. Alternator charges house batteries. Just finished testing. With coach plugged into shore power and converter running get 14.52 on coach batteries but only get 12.80 on chassis batteries. Coach unplugged from shore I get 12.8 on the chassis battery. It does not seem converter is charging chassis battery.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #29

My chassis battery does not get charged via the converter when plugged in. I use a trik-L-Charger. Works well and the solar keeps both chassis and coach batts charged

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:53 PM   #30

Yes I was planning on installing trik-l-start but had heard some people say the BBC works both ways and converter will charge house batteries and chassis batteries when converter is running. I have been unable to confirm that on my ford chassis.
With that said the pdf above from precision appears to say because will keep chassis charged.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #31

Battery isolator question

Here is the response I got from .FR; 2015 2801QS

Thank You for your email request and an opportunity to assist you. The batteries are charged through the battery control center when you are plugged into shore power or when the engine is running. The battery isolation manager will charge the coach batteries first when you are attached to shore power and then charge the chassis battery as necessary. It is the reverse operation when the engine is running. Sincerely, Mike J
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #32

Thank you AbdRahim. That's probably what makes it difficult to test. The as needed means it is intermittent and can't force it to charge chassis on shore power
Old 03-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #33

Yes, it works

Completed install today of new AGM coach batteries along with a Victron dual battery monitor.

While installing, did a full test of the Battery Control Center (BCC) and the integral Battery Isolation Monitor (BIM). I can unequivocally say that on my 2015 Forester MBS with the Precision Circuits, Inc. BCC, that the converter/charger (Progressive Dynamics PD9260) DOES charge both the chassis batteries and the coach battery when on shore power. Generator power should work just the same.

Here were the tests -

Plugged in shore power. Checked voltage at chassis battery and coach batteries - voltages the same. Disconnected cables from chassis battery - checked voltage across the cables - voltage the same. Waited for BCC relay/solenoid to open - voltage went to zero. Hooked battery cables back up to chassis battery and unplugged shore power. Plugged shore power back in, checked voltage with Victron - main (coach) battery 14.2 volts, auxiliary battery (chassis) 12.7 volts. Turned on headlights to create a load and drop the voltage of chassis battery, heard solenoid click in - chassis battery now 14.2 volts as well.

Pretty definitive to me.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Have 2016 Forester GTS 2801QSF on a Ford chassis. Alternator charges house batteries. Just finished testing. With coach plugged into shore power and converter running get 14.52 on coach batteries but only get 12.80 on chassis batteries. Coach unplugged from shore I get 12.8 on the chassis battery. It does not seem converter is charging chassis battery.
Apart from waiting for the converter/BCC to kick in -- if you are getting 12.8 on the coach battery, it doesn't need charging so may not get charging power. That's a full charge status.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Here is the response I got from .FR; 2015 2801QS

Thank You for your email request and an opportunity to assist you. The batteries are charged through the battery control center when you are plugged into shore power or when the engine is running. The battery isolation manager will charge the coach batteries first when you are attached to shore power and then charge the chassis battery as necessary. It is the reverse operation when the engine is running. Sincerely, Mike J
Re: my last post: "and then charge the chassis battery as necessary"
Old 03-17-2016, 03:10 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Completed install today of new AGM coach batteries along with a Victron dual battery monitor.

While installing, did a full test of the Battery Control Center (BCC) and the integral Battery Isolation Monitor (BIM). I can unequivocally say that on my 2015 Forester MBS with the Precision Circuits, Inc. BCC, that the converter/charger (Progressive Dynamics PD9260) DOES charge both the chassis batteries and the coach battery when on shore power...Pretty definitive to me.
Nice test, and it also proves that Precision has made some significant progress on their BCCs over the years. Yours (and hopefully mine as well) is a lot smarter than the older units. They used to simply monitor the voltage from the charging side and pull in the solenoid when it went above a certain voltage (like 13.5 or so.) What that did was to keep the solenoid running for weeks or months when the coach was plugged in to shore power and the converter was running. This eventually would wear out the solenoid from long term heating. Seems that the BIM is smarter now and only fires the solenoid when the voltage on the charging side is over the magic level...and the uncharged side is below another set point and actually needs a charge! Nice fix and it should make the system much more reliable in the long term.
It also should comfort people with solar who hated to see some of their precious amperage go into heating a solenoid rather than charging a battery. It was especially irritating to them since they could hear the solenoid click in and out when a cloud went in front of the sun!

I used to ignore their "when the battery needs a charge" but I guess you have proven that it is now true with the newer BCCs. I will look for that with my Trimetric as well.

2015 335DS
Old 03-17-2016, 06:16 AM   #37

Our isolator does charge both house and chassis batteries. However, there is a 2-3 minute delay involved so plugging into shore power and walking around with a volt meter will not show proper readings unless you wait for the click if you can hear it. I have not tested but I believe the same goes for starting the engine and expecting both battery banks to be getting charge from the alternator.
I think pushing the emergency start button just defeats the time delay.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
My chassis battery does not get charged via the converter when plugged in. I use a trik-L-Charger. Works well and the solar keeps both chassis and coach batts charged

MarsMan, what solar system are you using and how many watts?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:48 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
MarsMan, what solar system are you using and how many watts?
I went with a system from these folks here in Canada-http://www.retpower.com/solar-wind-rv/

I have 200W rigid (I have read it is best to stay away from flexible) and a controller. I do not tilt. The system definitely has no problem charging my system throughout the day when boondocking or when she is sitting in my yard. I initially got it to keep the system (chassis and coach) charged when in storage

They were very helpful. I see they have a dual battery bank charger. That will charge both chassis and coach when the sun is out. I did not know about it and went with the Trik-L. After reading all the comments in this thread, I now wonder if the converter will charge my chassis.. O well have the trik-L now

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #40

I did a quick test last night out of curiosity since reading the thread. On our 2016 2250 Sunseeker, I've had it plugged in for weeks. The chassis batteries read 13.1 most of the time, so I thought I'd check the chassis battery considering I hadn't started the unit in nearly a month.

I would have expected to find a voltage similar to our old unit - 12.4ish or so as that one didn't maintain the chassis from the converter/charger. I always maintained it with a trickle charger.

The chassis battery was 13.0 with a power-tap style plug-in meter. That tells me the chassis battery is being charged from the converter/charger on our new unit.
One of these days I'll unplug & let things stand for a while, then will test again to see what the standing voltage is on each.

Tags
battery