Old 12-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #11
Originally Posted by AncientMariner View Post
Hi All and thanks for reading this question.

My wife and I were all set to pull the trigger on a new 2501TS until I realized the mattress is split. Looked at side slide model and it too was split.

Since we need to restrict our new coach to 28' (overall, measured) it seems if we want a bed in a slide (no corner bed) we must get a larger unit.

For those of you who have one of these split mattresses, please share your experience with it. Our concerns are:

1: Do you have to "unmake" the bed to bring the slide in?
2: If room doesn't exist to put the slide out, I am assuming the bed is not usable.
3: Can you notice the split when on the bed (cannot use any topper to bridge the gap).
5: Lastly (for now) am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

A little background; we are experienced rvers with over 20 years and approx 500,000 miles in motor homes. We have owned pushers and pullers, diesel and gas and both class A and Cs. Our first was a 73 24' class C and that started us down the slippery slope. Our last was a 45' custom bus.

We have been out of RVing for the past 4 years and missed it. We decided we wanted 28' or less to allow us into more state parks that we haven't been able to get into for many years.

Thanks for indulging this message and I hope to hear from some owners soon.

I'm also in the market for a new sunseeker, and I have the same concerns regarding the bifurcated bed. We're in our 60's, and a good bed is essential since we plan on fulltiming for awhile. The split bed prevents you from ever upgrading to some really comfortable models like the Sleep Number or Casper bed, so I'm going to settle for the corner bed or a larger coach.

mbauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #12
Only slightly off topic but have you considered a B+? Our Lexington is 28' which gets us comfortably into our Provincial Parks. The head of the bed is in a slide so with the bedroom slide in the bed is no longer a walk around but fully useable. Regular short queen mattress and comfortable with a gel type topper. In ours the front opposing slides open it up to give us lots of room. Good luck in your research. It's a fun part of the process!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
nights camped 2015-89
2016 - 31
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #13
We just remove the pillows and make sure the blinds are up before open or close the slide. Everything moves and it stays made.

I have napped on mine while hubby slept at dinette. It wasn't the best but it worked for a short hour cat nap.

You do not notice the split.

I stayed away from this type of bed for a long time but to get an RV less than 25 feet I went for it. Glad I did.
Cfritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #14
Many, many thanks to all replies. I have shared them with my wife and she no longer is concerned. So much so, we are now going to also look at a 2801QS as well, but it is looking very strong that I will soon join you for real in this community.

AncientMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #15
We have a 2500TS Sunseeker and the rear slide has no issues. We use a queen bed mattress cover and even with bedding ( an iderdown tick) there are no issues with the split mattress and it folds up with no issues when the slide is retracted and goes out with no issues.
Of course it is not usable when it is retracted as is with most slides, The wardrobe slide is a good example of that.
The walk around queen bed is very easy to work with and has lots of room with the wardrobe slide out it makes for a fair size bed room. Much more user friendly than trying to make a bed squeezed into the corner of any RV
All fellow campers that we have met and talked to are amazed at the size of this sleeping area. Besides you always have the dinette slide area and the area over the cab

2014 2500TS
Enjoy and have fun
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #16
Only problem new have with the 2500TS bed is there is only one way to get out of the bed,,, which can be a problem for us older folks that need to get up during the night !!!
So the DW sleeps on the Dinette set bed !!!

Split Mattress is not problem at all !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #17
Have you looked at the 2701DS? It's 28'1". I can walk around the bed, but tight. DW leaves it made up and it's comfortable. The 2501TS has few windows on campsite door side. We like to have a view of both sides while sitting at the dinette. But you do have the split bathroom which is nice, ours is cramped and a large wardrobe in the 2500TS.
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2015 Camping 3 trips 6 nights
2016 Camping 9 trips 28 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #18
#3 memory foam topper cures the hard ,split mattress .
2016 sunseeker 2250slec
1988 Jayco p.u.,Coleman Plantation p.u.,1989 Jayco class c, Coachman TT,1995 Little Eddie fthwheel,2007 Heartland Sundance 2500 lS fthwheel
geeman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #19
I think we can close this question. We just returned home from our first night on our new 2801. Slept fine, just like home. Kinda hinkey, but it works well enough.

Thanks to all for the excellent advise and opinions.
This advice or opinion is worth what you paid for it!
1992 - 1983 Fleetwood Jamboree Rally class C
1995 - 1995 Holiday Rambler Endevor LE class A
2000 - 2000 Custom Monaco Windsor class A
2003 - 1997 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB 43 class A
2016 - 2016 Forest River Forester 2801 QSF class C
AncientMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:17 PM   #20
Something not mentioned yet (I think) is mid-day napping in rest stops. To me, one of the greatest things about any RV is the ability to pull into a rest stop, restaurant, Walmart, etc. during the day to get a restorative nap. In those situations, there is usually not enough room to extend a slide.

Just a thought for anyone who is still shopping.

2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

bed, beds, slide, slide out