Old 12-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #1

Beds in slides on smaller Cs

Hi All and thanks for reading this question.

My wife and I were all set to pull the trigger on a new 2501TS until I realized the mattress is split. Looked at side slide model and it too was split.

Since we need to restrict our new coach to 28' (overall, measured) it seems if we want a bed in a slide (no corner bed) we must get a larger unit.

For those of you who have one of these split mattresses, please share your experience with it. Our concerns are:

1: Do you have to "unmake" the bed to bring the slide in?
2: If room doesn't exist to put the slide out, I am assuming the bed is not usable.
3: Can you notice the split when on the bed (cannot use any topper to bridge the gap).
5: Lastly (for now) am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

A little background; we are experienced rvers with over 20 years and approx 500,000 miles in motor homes. We have owned pushers and pullers, diesel and gas and both class A and Cs. Our first was a 73 24' class C and that started us down the slippery slope. Our last was a 45' custom bus.

We have been out of RVing for the past 4 years and missed it. We decided we wanted 28' or less to allow us into more state parks that we haven't been able to get into for many years.

Thanks for indulging this message and I hope to hear from some owners soon.

Paul

Old 12-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientMariner View Post
unit.

No. during close-up, I start mine by pulling up on the front section with everything in place. It should fold over itself. After I open it up- I just push the top/front section out to the wall. just needs a little tidying up.

2: If room doesn't exist to put the slide out, I am assuming the bed is not usable.

No - not really useable

3: Can you notice the split when on the bed (cannot use any topper to bridge the gap).

No I do not

Maybe- but this is your choice. I like it so far. Takes 30 seconds to a minute to set up.

Don't forget you should also have an overhead double plus size bed or a dinette bed if needed without pushing the slide out.

And you skipped #4.

Paul

See above responses

Old 12-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
RETIRED

I really didnt consider the fold up mattress as much a problem as not being able to use the bed without putting out the slide. The 2650s is a 28'6" with a hugh storage compartment in the back, perfectly functional with or without the couch(opted out of the dinette) slide in or out

2015 Jeep Cherokee
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Cargo Van HR DRW EXT DIY Daytripper "My Little Red Corvette"
n-e-d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #4

For those of you who have one of these split mattresses, please share your experience with it. Our concerns are:

No, ours stays made with no issues. The trick for us was to use deep pocket queen size, not "short" queen bedding. It allows the mattress move without pulling the bedding off.

Pretty much, I guess a short person, or child, could sleep on it but it is a long way down....

No, we do not notice the split. And you can use a topper without any issues. I wanted a little more height so we added a deep pocket queen size pillow top with an additional two inches of memory foam to our bed.

It could be a "issue" I guess...it depends on your needs. We have a side slide out so unless I can deploy the slide we're stuck with sleeping on the dinette. But we knew that when we bought our "W" and accepted the trade off as we really wanted the bigger floor plan. For us this is more of a molehill than a mountain.

FWIW the bed in our "W" was fairly comfortable without the topper and additional memory foam. Now it is very comfortable.

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:51 AM   #5

Beds in slides on smaller Cs

1. Not really. With a fitted mattress pad and bottom sheet, you have to take them off the corners so they don't get ripped while sliding in, than when done sliding just drop them down again.

2. It's 60x75 on ours so 5' wide. We can both sleep on it in but it's snug. At 5'7" I have to bend my legs which I don't mind. I wouldn't want to do it for more than a night. To sleep on it, you have to remove one of the split pads and stow it somewhere such as the living room. It's definitely a temporary {no way we can put the slide out at this hour or in this place or while it's hailing out!} type of arrangement.

3. No, we don't feel it but again we have a mattress pad (standard old type, not foam).

4. No - it's best to fully understand and either accept or reject it right up front.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 12-10-2015, 01:19 AM   #6

For naps I will slide the top section off and put it between the bed and head wall. the wife, boy, and I snuggle in. most of the times the dog weasels his way up as well. Solo trips I just sleep the same way.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #7

We have a 2500TS with the split bed.
1: Do you have to "unmake" the bed to bring the slide in.
No, never had a problem. We use regular queen sized sheets and a memory foam topper.
It is not usable with the slide in.

We have never noticed the split. We do use a topper.

Depends on how important these issues are to you.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientMariner View Post
Hi All and thanks for reading this question.

My wife and I were all set to pull the trigger on a new 2501TS until I realized the mattress is split. Looked at side slide model and it too was split.

Since we need to restrict our new coach to 28' (overall, measured) it seems if we want a bed in a slide (no corner bed) we must get a larger unit.

A little background; we are experienced rvers with over 20 years and approx 500,000 miles in motor homes. We have owned pushers and pullers, diesel and gas and both class A and Cs. Our first was a 73 24' class C and that started us down the slippery slope. Our last was a 45' custom bus.

We have been out of RVing for the past 4 years and missed it. We decided we wanted 28' or less to allow us into more state parks that we haven't been able to get into for many years.

Thanks for indulging this message and I hope to hear from some owners soon.

Paul
We have a 2500TS Sunseeker. Our beds are split. They are comfortable. We found it easiest to sleep in sleeping bags instead of regular bedding because the bedding gets unmade when the slide out is in and the two halves of the mattress are layered on top of one another.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #9

2501ts/2500ts

We have a Sunseeker 2500TS with an identical floor plan to the 2501TS.We have owned it for a few months.
1: Do you have to "unmake" the bed to bring the slide in? Kind of. We are in the process of modifying the sheets to fit the split mattress. When they extend, the sheets will remain in place. As others have said, it takes a matter of minutes to get it in order.
2: If room doesn't exist to put the slide out, I am assuming the bed is not usable. No, not usable. That's one thing we pondered for awhile. When we travel without guests and want to stop and rest, we can use the front bed above the cab. The one thing we made sure of was that the rear slide could extend with a boat trailer connected. It does so perfectly. We could do it with our cargo trailer as well (not a V-nose).
3: Can you notice the split when on the bed (cannot use any topper to bridge the gap). No. My wife and I don't notice it. Our son and Daughter-in-law have also used it with no complaints.
5: Lastly (for now) am I making a mountain out of a molehill? If the mountain was horizontal, making a mountain out of a molehill would be an appropriate description. You are taking a comfortable length RV stretching it out longer when you need it. We pull a 19' boat and are comfortable with the length of the RV. This has very good features-4 people is not a problem.

The 2500 is kind of a misnomer. When we bought it, we thought it was 25'.
Actually, it's a couple inches shy of 27' and extends to 30'. The cover we purchased was for a 27'-28' and the cover fits very well.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
Back to RVing again

We, too, thought it was a little strange to have this split mattress. BUT it is very comfortable. We sleep perfectly on it. We use a fitted sheet on the bottom and a sheet with a queen-sized down comforter on top. I just slide it in and let the covers manage themselves. When I put the slide out it usually needs me to push the top piece out. No problem. The cover looks like it has just been made - very neat.
You are right that the bed is unusable if the slide isn't out. So if you are pulling into a rest stop for an afternoon power nap, you have to put the slide out to use the bed. Also not a problem most of the time. I don't even think it's a molehill. It just is what it is.
Enjoy

Tags
bed, beds, slide, slide out