Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #1

Best route San Antonio to Alburquerque

We started in S. Florida, and are currently in San Antonio. We have decided to head up to Alburquerque and not knowing anything about this part of Texas, what do you think of the routes, camping availability enroute, road conditions and any other pros or cons you can share? Thanks for all advice.
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #2

I would take the route to Lubbock Texas which is the shortest, better road and gas stations
See blue line on map.

Where is your final destination?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	122180  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:51 PM   #3

Avoid highway 285, the route shown from Fort Stockton thru Pecos, Carlsbad and Roswell, I took that route last fall and regretted it. It goes thru very busy oil country with work and tanker trucks traveling onto and off the highway. They track a lot of dirt onto the roadway which isn't normally a problem. But it rained when we were on the highway and the dirt turned to mud and the back of my motorhome and my entire Jeep in tow were completely covered in a coating that was very difficult to remove. Power washing didn't remove it, had to wait till I got home to scrub it down and I still find some in nooks and crannies especially on the Jeep. I think there might have been some chemicals from the oil rig operations mixed into the dirt.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:50 AM   #4

For me it would be interstate all the way, I-10/I-25. The route via Lubbock would be my second choice. Although probably not a factor, the interstate route has higher speed limits and not hampered by drastically reduced limits thru several towns via Lubbock route, which may be a factor. Interstate route could be more boring though. As I remember, both routes have campgrounds spaced at acceptable distances. I like Albuquerque.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #5

If time is not an issue be sure to take a side trip to Palo Duro Canyon State Park. We stayed in Hackberry camp. It has water and electric hook ups and there are dumps near by. You won't be disappointed.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
If time is not an issue be sure to take a side trip to Palo Duro Canyon State Park. We stayed in Hackberry camp. It has water and electric hook ups and there are dumps near by. You won't be disappointed.
I 2nd Palo Duro! Awesome only begins to describe it!
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #7

Palo Duro

Palo Duro is a great option. The outdoor play about the history of Texas is worth the trip by itself! Something else to consider is Carlsbad Caverns. You can find lots of info on these spots online and they are both worth a visit. We live South of San Antonio and travel to both Lubbock (family there) and Alburquerque quite often (heat relief). If you only want to go straight to Alburquerque then through Lubbock is the way to go. Best roads, little traffic and plenty of camgrounds along the way.
kenlea98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I would take the route to Lubbock Texas which is the shortest, better road and gas stations
See blue line on map.

Where is your final destination?
I live in Midland and take all these roads regularly. First of all I would not take EITHER of the routes in gray. They are both chewed up oilfield roads. Two basic choices, between how much of a hurry you are in.

Option 1: The route highlighted in blue. Not bad, and this will take you through some fairly pretty country until you get to I-20. Once north of 20, everything gets pretty flat and desolate. Agree with Kenlea98, Palo Duro is a nice detour north if you want to stop there, and it's the right time of the year to go there. It would be really easy to take 27 north to Palo Duro, then 40 west to Albuquerque. Just understand, this route is lots of 2 lane hilly road with lots of small towns that slow you down.

Option 2: I-10 to I-25. Adds some miles to the trip, but keeps you on interstate. This would be by far the fastest route, but not much to see. Normal things about traveling on interstates, plenty of gas stations and campgrounds. TX is a BIG state. The interstates are good for setting the cruise control and chewing up the miles. You don't have to stop at every town with a blinking light. We regularly have to do 500 mile days just to get anywhere.

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #9

We live in SA and take the RV to ABQ twice a year and have done so every year the last 7-years. We've tried all the routes and have settled on I-10 to Ft Stockton, then 285 to I-40. The dreaded oil field route. It's horrible for about 100 or so miles. But far better than all the other options.

If you take my advice and go that way look for a Truck Bypass around Roswell. You'll save 30-mins of traffic and stop lights if you take it.

Don't let the I-10 to I-25 fool you. It's far longer and the drive through El Paso is almost as bad as the oil road.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #10

I would go with the below option for sure!!
I live in El Paso and travel all over western Texas ( territory manager for a crane company) and the roads near 285 are rotten to say the least.
If you stay on the main highways, it may be boring, but definitely smoother and safer!! Just my humble opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore0852 View Post
Option 2: I-10 to I-25. Adds some miles to the trip, but keeps you on interstate. This would be by far the fastest route, but not much to see. Normal things about traveling on interstates, plenty of gas stations and campgrounds. TX is a BIG state. The interstates are good for setting the cruise control and chewing up the miles. You don't have to stop at every town with a blinking light. We regularly have to do 500 mile days just to get anywhere.
Darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #11

Thanks guys for the suggestions. We have decided on the route through Lubbock. We have been on all interstate highways and want to try the state highways for a while. I've made a list of suggested places to see, and will try to get to all either going or on the return trip through I 40.
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote