Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #1

Big foot question

We are on our maiden voyage with our 2501. The guy at our walk through said not to let the tires come off the ground when we level. Did he know what he was talking about. We just pulled into a site and need to use 3 blocks under the front tires or the wheels would be up. The RV in the next site over has his wheels in the air. Who is correct?
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #2

The type of jack you have is going to have a say in that different jacks have different weight limits. Also depends on the weight of the RV. I'm not familiar with the 2501 so not sure which RV you have. I have a Solera MH and have a 2 point system on the back and the front each jack has a 8,000 lbs. weight limit so with all 4 jacks in operation I could probably lift my 16,000 lb. vehicle off of the ground. I think just to be safe I would still put some blocks under the wheels. Hope that helps?
Old 05-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #3

Don't worry about it lift the front as high as u need to keep back on the ground for safety

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #4

Front wheels in the air wont hurt anything other than looking odd Rear wheels on the other hand need to maintain contact with the ground or the park brake does no good my 3170 has the same jacks as yours and I always try to get within 3/4 to 1/2 bubble from level by driving up on boards before leveling and at that point I never have had a wheel fully of of the ground.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:07 PM   #5

I have found if you have wheels off the ground lateral stability really suffers. Jacks fully extended are like long table legs. I can often manually level the coach and keep the wheels down rather than use auto mode. However my rule is if the site is so uneven that it requires wheels off the ground, I look for another site.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

My jacks will not extend all the way out on auto but some campgrounds will not have a spot in the entire campground like the new Koa in Greensboro ga

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums