Old 04-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #1

Big Foot Reset Problems

The Big Foot leveler reset continues to be an issue for us. Every time we take our motorhome out of storage we have to pull the BigFoot Panel off and unplug the plug in order to reset it. Our house batteries run down even with our disconnect switch engaged which is another issue. Anyway, since the batteries run down so low, every time we start the coach up, the BigFoot levelers need a reset. This has always been a problem for us as the plug does not pull out so easily. Well, today we finally damaged it! We had to pull so hard that both parts of the plug pulled out together leaving the prongs exposed and one prong pulling out completely. Now what? Of course this happens just before leaving for our camping trip. Our levelers will not work without this panel put back together. I am attaching photos of this disaster. Has this ever happened to any of you? Now we have to find a place that can fix this before we leave. Surely there is a better way to resolve this reset problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigFoot Panel 1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	167009   Click image for larger version

Name:	BigFoot Panel 2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	167010  

1979 Tioga 25' bunkbed (first RV in 1992)
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #2

My parents system has to be reset also when batteries are turned off. I don't think this is normal. If it is then they need to redesign this system.

jackoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackoue View Post
My parents system has to be reset also when batteries are turned off. I don't think this is normal. If it is then they need to redesign this system.
It's a real pain. I knew it was a matter of time that something like this was going to happen. We have to unscrew the entire panel and pull the interface cable. It was never easy to pull, and I have torn up my fingers doing so. I've had to do this more times than I can count, and there has to be an easier way to reset the system. Now, the whole thing is broken and requires re-soldering. We most likely won't have levelers for this trip.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:38 PM   #4

I have personally seen this problem on a pre owned Forester we looked at. The salesman stated the fix is the same as what you are doing. He did not sell the unit. Now on to the op’s issue. Any computer repair shop should be able to re solder it for you. Maybe even Geek Squad. I suggest you use some non conducting lubricant on the plug so it slides off easier or expand the female end a bit if you can without causing a bad connection.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackoue View Post
Bigfoot should be connected directly to batteries. Your disconnect switch should not cause levelers to need to be reset. Check wiring to ensure the Bigfoot does not go through disconnect switch. However if your batteries are discharging to an unhealthy level then the Bigfoot system is turning off and needs to be reset. Bigfoot is functioning as designed. This prevents the Bigfoot system from permanently damaging batteries.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Bigfoot should be connected directly to batteries. Your disconnect switch should not cause levelers to need to be reset. Check wiring to ensure the Bigfoot does not go through disconnect switch. However if your batteries are discharging to an unhealthy level then the Bigfoot system is turning off and needs to be reset. Bigfoot is functioning as designed. This prevents the Bigfoot system from permanently damaging batteries.
In general I agree with SGT. There could be a number of things that are causing the issue. The cheap and easy temporary fix until you can either diagnose the problem or get it to a shop would be a battery disconnect right on the battery. This would allow you to disconnect ALL power sources which are connected to the batteries, including levelers and provide an easy power off reset to the levelers when you put it back into storage. Even after it is fixed you may want to leave the battery mounted disconnect in place to eliminate the parasitic draw in the RV especially if its in storage for long periods between uses.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #7

Well, $325 later and a cancelled trip, this was a costly problem. We have to order a whole new panel and cable. They say it's safe to travel since the legs are up, but I don't feel safe at all knowing there is no power to the system.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #8

I was having the same problem and the members are correct that it's a low battery condition creating the problem.

Even though the 12V disconnect is open, there are certain parasitic draws that will bring your batteries down.

Since my coach is not used as much as I would like, I solved the problem last year by purchasing a 10 amp solar panel and controller. This panel keeps my batteries at 12.2 to 12.4 volts depending on how much sunshine we have.

With a "full" set of batteries, I have not had this problem since.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #9

Thanks Wayne. We know that since we have to store our RV, the solar route is one of the only options we have. Weíre trying to figure out how to run the wires from the roof to the batteries once we install the panels on the roof.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:00 PM   #10

I took the "simple" route with my solar panel since we rarely use campgrounds without hookups. So, I simply lean the panel against the side of the coach, facing the sun, and then plug it into the controller and from there, into the solar connector on the side of the coach.

With a 10 amp panel, there's no reason to put it onto the roof.

Now, if I was going to do a lot of off-grid camping, then I would get larger panels and put them on the roof.

On roof installs, most people run the wiring down through the refrigerator vent. Others get a little more creative and drill access holes in the roof and then seal the hole (like a satellite dish wiring).
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #11

Big Foot Reset Problems

We would love the option of just using the portable panels, but our coach is in storage most of the time and they would be stolen. The roof mount is our only option. Thanks for the wiring ideas.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #12
Citrus County, Fl.

The batteries don't have to be very low to trigger the alarm and the need for a reset. I only had to do it once when my unit was at the dealer for 2 weeks waiting on an air conditioner.

If it happened more often I don't see why the wire could be split and run to a toggle switch that would essentially be the same as unplugging to do the reset.

Also, a 2016 that sits in storage, it is quite likely the batteries are about due to be replaced. I am fortunate to have mine on shore power stored at home so my batteries get charged by the converter.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #13

I hate storing our motorhome. We are currently looking for a home with RV parking but no luck. Our batteries were replaced with two brand new house batteries when we bought our coach last year.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #14

Update: We brought the panel and plug to a computer repair place today, and they soldered the broken prong, lined everything up, and fixed it. I just plugged it back in and it works! Weíre still going to keep the new panel and cable thatís on itís way. Thanks, guys, for the suggestions to have a geek look at this.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #15
Senior

I may have this problem too since I remove my batteries when storing my motor home where there is no AC available. I noticed the semi automatic leveling system stopped working last year but ignored it since I felt it raised the coach too high IMHO and manually used the jacks for leveling. Although I have a solar system it can not work when the solar cells are covered with snow.
Perhaps the manufacturer, Quadra, can help by recommending another way to reset the system. I am thinking perhaps a switch could be added to accomplish this rather than disconnecting a wiring harness. I have been impressed with the people I have talked to at Quadra when I had a problem in the past.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:48 PM   #16

Yes, they are very helpful at Quadra. I have made the suggestion for a switch several times. They have no plans to change this. Itís a safety feature, but certainly a hassle for those of us who store our coaches. We talked to Jim Armstrong over there, and he said I could disconnect the harness from the other end which could be easier. The other tech said that was debatable. So until we get solar hooked up or find a home with RV parking, weíre stuck with having to pull the BigFoot Panel for now.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:29 AM   #17

Not a real solution to the root problem but I keep needle nose pliers in the drawer next to my levelers to pull the plug when I have to reset it. I have to unplug mine because even when they are up the system doesn't think so and the alarm goes off when I start the engine.
Knute34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knute34 View Post
Not a real solution to the root problem but I keep needle nose pliers in the drawer next to my levelers to pull the plug when I have to reset it. I have to unplug mine because even when they are up the system doesn't think so and the alarm goes off when I start the engine.

This is the problem I am having all of a sudden. The alarm comes on randomly when driving. All the jacks appear to be up, but I have to hit the emergency retract to stop it.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:17 PM   #19
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
This is the problem I am having all of a sudden. The alarm comes on randomly when driving. All the jacks appear to be up, but I have to hit the emergency retract to stop it.
I have experienced the same problem. I imagine that one of the Jack's is signaling it is down if only when you hit a small bump in the road. I have a switch for the Jack's I can use to completely turn them off with that solves the problem.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #20

Big Foot Reset Problems

I called Quadra. They said to check fluid levels. I added fluid to sack jack. Hopefully not too much. Forgot I was on a hill.

They also suggested checking each foot for a bent pin. However when performing the suggested maintainence (I.e. lubricating the ball and pin), I discovered one pin could be moved by hand with jacks up. I found that that sensor was not tightened completely. I tightened it and the pin made firm contact. I will drive it on Fri to see if it is fixed. Hopefully, this will do it.

They also suggested checking for loose feet. I found one loose and tightened it (1 1/16" socket).

AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester