Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #1

Bigfoot Leveling System Troubles

Did some work around the motorhome over the weekend and set the Bigfoot pads down. I went to retract them but couldn't get the two front pads all the way up. The back pads came all the way up and set in the recessed part of the hydraulic ram to sort of lock the pads from movement. The front pads came to about a 1/2 inch from the recessed part of the ram and barely touch the limit switch. Now the control module won't display the "all up" light. I can't figure why the two front pads won't go that last 1/2 inch.
My part of the troubleshooting I ran the levelers all the way down - no signs of low fluid. Ran them all the way back up and they still fell short. I have to power off the unit because the two front pad pumps continue to run because the limit switch isn't being made. I checked the lock nuts on each of the pads, all are equal. The pads are all equal in the pivot movement. Nothing obvious with the pad mounts or the hydraulic rams. It is like something inside is stopping the retract.
I call Quadra but only got the technical voice message - still waiting for the call back. I leave on a trip in a week and would like to have the levelers working properly (I can trick the limit switch with a thin piece of wood - so the limit switches are good too).
Anyone have this problem in the past? This has really got me stumped.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #2

Maybe a shot in the dark but have you tried resetting the auto level?
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #3

No, but that shouldn't matter since I tried manual retract. Auto level reset allows you to calibrate the level when extending the rams. Retract is managed by the limit switches.
Thanks
Old 12-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #4

Another stab in the dark....maybe take the connections off the limit switches and try again. I have just fitted my 16" EZ system up but do not have the limit switch system connected yet, and all works well
Bushpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #5

Thanks but I eliminated that too. They don't come up high enough - about a 1/2 short to making the limit switch. I have a spacer on the pad to cheat the limit. Quadra is reviewing but they seem clueless as to what the problem is too.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #6

Hi Bobby,
Is it an EZ system you have? The other idea I had (if it is an EZ system) was to select the Front Passenger Side then the Front Driver Side only and see if anything happens. The only other option I can think of is to 'crack' the 2 Extend Hose connections on the 2 legs, just to see if there might be an air-lock???
Bushpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #7

It is the EZ system and I have tried the manual operations - no change. I thought air too so with the front end of the coach lifted I extended the rams all the way and back in several times. Although each leveler has it's own pump and fluid reservoir, cycling the rams will pull fluid from both sides of the ram piston and therefore purging air.
It behaves like the ram has reached the top of the cylinder. Thing I can't figure out what changed and why just suddenly on the two front levelers. I guess this is why Quadra is scratching their head over it.
I have several warranty issues that I will bring the coach in for so the dealer will need to work with Quadrant on it.

Thanks for the tips!

Bobby
Old 12-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #8

Upon reviewing the diagrams on the Big Foot website it looks like the piston inside the ram is held on the shaft by a nut at the top. If that nut backed off or the top of the shaft above the piston fractured somehow it would act as a stop like you are experiencing. Not sure how this could happen unless there was some manufacturing defect. I don't know how tight the piston fits on the shaft but it may be enough to keep the shaft from just falling out if the nut comes off or the shaft fractures above the piston. You could try and pull or pry the foot down and see if you can get downward movement but if the problem is as I think you would get a bit of oil if the shaft comes out.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
Upon reviewing the diagrams on the Big Foot website it looks like the piston inside the ram is held on the shaft by a nut at the top. If that nut backed off or the top of the shaft above the piston fractured somehow it would act as a stop like you are experiencing. Not sure how this could happen unless there was some manufacturing defect.
I mentioned this to Quadra tech. support and they didn't think it was possible for the top lock but to back off since it is a lock nut - the same as used to hold the pad.
May soon be a dealer fix. I have a temporary fix while on my trip.

Thanks,
Bobby
Old 12-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
I mentioned this to Quadra tech. support and they didn't think it was possible for the top lock but to back off since it is a lock nut - the same as used to hold the pad.
May soon be a dealer fix. I have a temporary fix while on my trip.

Thanks,
Bobby
Agreed, I do not know what could create a force to back off the nut either. Possibly a defect or crack in something like the piston that is getting jammed up. Easy to tell by disconnecting the hoses. You should be able to push the ram through full stroke. if it stops short then it's disassemble the Ram time.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
Possibly a defect or crack in something like the piston that is getting jammed up. Easy to tell by disconnecting the hoses. You should be able to push the ram through full stroke. if it stops short then it's disassemble the Ram time.
Something that I am capable of doing but being it is warranty I should spend my time either working to pay my Forester mortgage or spending time in it enjoying it.

Tags
leveling