Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2017, 09:24 PM   #1

Exclamation BigFoot Platinum vs Auto-leveling system

I'm starting a new thread on this topic as the original thread is too outdated to allow new posts.

I am thinking of purchasing a used 2016 Forester 2861DS. This RV does have the Big Foot Leveling system, but I was informed by a member to make sure this is the correct 4-point auto leveling system. Apparently there was a month in 2016 where the wrong 2-point systems were sent to the factory and installed, and these systems do not auto level from front to back and side to side.

I was able to get some photos from the sales manager today of the panel of this used 2016. Can anyone here identify the attached photo of the panel as to whether or not this is the correct Big Foot Auto leveling system and not the stabilizing system. This would be a deal breaker for us because it's past the warranty now, and we would not be able to afford to have this system replaced if it's the wrong one. Thanks.
Attached Images

LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
DW's 401(k) Plan

Sure looks like the same Big Foot 4-point Auto Leveling System panel I have in my 2017 3010DS.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #3

Yes I believe the 2 point system had a white face control board. The board in the pic is exactly like a 4 point system.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:28 AM   #4

I've got the 2 point system on my 2016 Forester 2701ds. It has a green face plate. Since we dry camp 95% of the time and the sites can be way off as much as 7". I've had the rear wheels about to come off the ground, so I prefer to do them manually anyway. I did install a LevelMate Pro to help. It probably takes me about the same time as the fully automatic or maybe 30 seconds more. I just don't want the rears coming off the ground and having nothing to stop it from rolling and breaking the pistons.
I can post a photo tomorrow if you like.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
I've got the 2 point system on my 2016 Forester 2701ds. It has a green face plate. Since we dry camp 95% of the time and the sites can be way off as much as 7". I've had the rear wheels about to come off the ground, so I prefer to do them manually anyway. I did install a LevelMate Pro to help. It probably takes me about the same time as the fully automatic or maybe 30 seconds more. I just don't want the rears coming off the ground and having nothing to stop it from rolling and breaking the pistons.
I can post a photo tomorrow if you like.
Is this the green face plate you're talking about for the 2-point system? You can clearly see there is no "auto" button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big_foot_2point.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	129092  
Old 02-03-2017, 09:13 AM   #6

2 Point VS 4 Point

I am still relatively new to RVing and I apologize if this is a dumb question, but what is a 2 point or 4 point leveling system?
JerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerJ View Post
I am still relatively new to RVing and I apologize if this is a dumb question, but what is a 2 point or 4 point leveling system?
The BigFoot Platinum 2-point system is a leveling/stabilizing system that levels the RV from front to rear but not side to side. The 4-point automatic leveling system levels the RV from front to rear and side to side, can operate automatically or each cylinder can be operated manually. This is the best way I know how to explain the two systems. You can read more about it here: Bigfoot Automatic System For Ford E-450 Chassis
Old 02-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #8
Site Team

That looks just like my four point system as well. The white tag shown under the panel has the 800 number for Bigfoot and the systems serial number. I suggest you give Bigfoot a call to confirm exactly what is installed...
Old 02-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #9

Might be a dumb question, but why don't you just activate teh systema nd see if it works?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Might be a dumb question, but why don't you just activate teh systema nd see if it works?
The RV is 4.5 hours drive away. We will see it Sunday. Thanks everyone for your help. It's confirmed that this RV does have the 4-point auto levelers.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:31 PM   #11

I agree that black panel is the Big Foot 4 point auto leveling system. I to like to use the manual part of it for leveling on most occasions. In any event make sure you put down some 2 x 6 blocks or vinyl levelers under the feet as some times the leg feet will sink into the ground and can also sink into soft pavement. This happened to a friend of min in hot weather and he had one heck of a time prying the foot out of the black top. We use a strip of velcro to hold the panel under the drivers seat and its handy yet out of the way when not in use.
Sure are slick additions to any RV.

Brandon2
2014 2500TS
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling