Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #21

We had the same issue with the Platinum system put on our new 2861DS in November. I stressed the point and confirmed in writing we wanted the Fully Automatic System which they were able to upgrade to with no problems.

Yes, all they did was install a new panel and add the level sensor. They do not replace the jacks or the pump. Seems to work fine so far. To my knowledge they are no longer using the remote cable that was stashed under the drivers seat and only mount in the stairwell.
Since the sensor, when placed behind the wall, may not be at true level the coach will not go to true level when you hit the auto button. Suggestion is to go through the calibration settings to manually set to level and lock in those settings. I have yet to try it but got the directions on "progamming the system" on another thread.
Hope this helps.
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:38 PM   #22

This is confusing why FR would suddenly install these non-automatic 4 way levers in a certain amount of units. The price difference I'm sure is not much considering they probably pay a negotiated fee for a custom system in the first place. It does seem it was for a short time in production and they are using the 4 way system again in current builds. Perhaps a shortage of 4 way units at the time.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
This is confusing why FR would suddenly install these non-automatic 4 way levers in a certain amount of units. The price difference I'm sure is not much considering they probably pay a negotiated fee for a custom system in the first place. It does seem it was for a short time in production and they are using the 4 way system again in current builds. Perhaps a shortage of 4 way units at the time.

Profit margins after all this a Berkshire company…If you can squeeze out another $1,000 per unit, times how many…real money. At the same time, you can market the unit as having “leveling”, regardless of it not being apples-to-apples.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:26 AM   #24
Class C Representative

It had nothing to do with profit margins. We made a few changes with our Auto-Leveling system and were still under the impression that it was a complete self-leveling system. It happened on a small batch of units then it was caught and rectified by Big-Foot.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #25

There you go. Question and problem answered. Thanks as always Joshua.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #26

Full auto leveling is the way to go.
I love pulling into a site pressing a button and watch the other campers reaction to a 1 minute leveling process.
OK, sometimes it takes a little more work
We mainly camp in state parks and never see a level site.
The Bigfoot Auto levelers work great. Having the control on the cable is a big plus, it allows me to watch the pads while still having full control of them.
There are times when it is not enough though. If it starts getting to full extension I stop it and manually adjust it.
I made a four 3" high 24" x 24" pads to drive up on when it is too far out.
They also come in handy on soft ground.
As stated earlier, watch when the rear is low. That seems to put a lot of flex
in the chassis and never let it lift the rear tires completely off the ground.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
There you go. Question and problem answered. Thanks as always Joshua.

Exactly, good to know if was just a major breakdown in quality control rather than a profit issue.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovialjeeper View Post
Just brought home a 3051. Came with the factory installed auto-levelers. We got the walk thru at the dealer and they explained how it worked, including the auto leveling. Fast forward, after playing with the system and reading up on it, I found out the Platinum system we have is not an auto-leveling system, but rather an auto-stabilizing system with manual leveling. Felt a little deceived so I called the dealer and they said despite the description that is what is supposed to be installed. I called Bigfoot and they said they've gotten a lot of calls from Forester owners. FR had switched to the platinum system but didn't change their literature, so people, like me, felt deceived. The guy told me they have since switched back to the auto system for factory installs. He said to check with FR and because they were offering to swap it out for free. I called FR and sure enough, they said they would swap out the Platinum with the auto system and talk to the dealer.

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but which system do people prefer, the platinum "auto-stabilizer" or the auto-leveling system? Pros/cons? I like the idea of the auto level system, well, because that's what I thought I was getting. Our last MH didn't have jacks at all, so either way is an upgrade.

Thanks for your comments.
Auto level!
rsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #29
Tinkerer and Putterer

I wouldn't call installing a leveling system lacking fully automated leveling a failure in QC. Now if the system was blowing fuses or falling off the rig that would be a QC issue. It is a miss in that FR thought the system was auto leveling but given the questions asked in this very thread and the confusion expressed about the differences between the two offered models I can definitely understand someone at FR making the same mistake.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
I wouldn't call installing a leveling system lacking fully automated leveling a failure in QC. Now if the system was blowing fuses or falling off the rig that would be a QC issue. It is a miss in that FR thought the system was auto leveling but given the questions asked in this very thread and the confusion expressed about the differences between the two offered models I can definitely understand someone at FR making the same mistake.
Failure from the standpoint that the systems were not tested properly before leaving the factory. Failure from the standpoint that no one on the line raised any questions regarding the change that if elevated might have prevented a lot of pain later...down the line to the buyer.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:28 PM   #31

We have a 2013 Sunseeker and I drove to Bigfoot to get the fully auto system installed aftermarket. If I had it to do over, I'd probably opt for the manual system. Here's why... I recalibrate for true level at least once a season. But it's not perfect (I am, admittedly, a bit of a perfectionist). It is always off a little. If I'm staying in a place for longer than a night, I usually level manually. I have a bubble level. But I base level on the bathroom door (if it stays open in its own in the middle of the swing). Now on an overnight stop or if it's raining, auto level is just fine. The other advantage for manual is it seems that the jacks extend too far at times on auto and you can control that more on manual. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #32
Class C Representative

We knew we were making the change to a different set up, we didn't know it wasn't going to be a full auto-leveling system and didn't find out until after the fact. It didn't have to do with people not paying attention on the line or in QC.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 01-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
We have a 2013 Sunseeker and I drove to Bigfoot to get the fully auto system installed aftermarket. If I had it to do over, I'd probably opt for the manual system. Here's why... I recalibrate for true level at least once a season. But it's not perfect (I am, admittedly, a bit of a perfectionist). It is always off a little. If I'm staying in a place for longer than a night, I usually level manually. I have a bubble level. But I base level on the bathroom door (if it stays open in its own in the middle of the swing). Now on an overnight stop or if it's raining, auto level is just fine. The other advantage for manual is it seems that the jacks extend too far at times on auto and you can control that more on manual. Just my two cents.

The automatic has manual mode too, right? You have to press two at a time to retract?
jovialjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #34
Class C Representative

There is a manual option on there as well.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovialjeeper View Post
The automatic has manual mode too, right? You have to press two at a time to retract?

As Joshua said, auto has a manual option. You press two at a time when leveling (the fronts, backs, lefts, or rights). You just press retract to come down (all four retract at the same time).

'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
Auto leveling but usually have to use manual after the self leveling has stopped to get the front end high enough to be level

Have you ever programmed your system? I found the steps to zero it out and reprogram for level but haven't tried it yet. Mine still needs a nudge to get the front up to level. Hoping the programming of the unit will fix this.

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #37

My Platinum levels side to side.

I have always used my Platinum levelers by manually lowering each foot to the ground and then slowly leveling each corner as told by tech at BigFoot. Yesterday, I thought I would try the semi auto method by hitting POWER then START. But first I checked the level and it was lower on the front and drivers side. I started leveling and the feet all dropped, the front wheels came off the ground a little while the rears raised slightly but were still on the ground.
I checked the level and to my surprise, the front to rear was way off and low on the front. The side to side was now level. Perhaps, this prevents twisting of the frame.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:20 AM   #38

As it turns out, our 3171 also did not come with the fully automatic leveling system. Camping World says FR is the worst manufacturer for sending out parts and it will take four weeks to get whatever they need for the retrofit. If we hadn't seen this thread, we wouldn't have known about the jack issue. (This is our first RV.) I don't think FR is doing anything to notify customers as they never contacted us about it. Thanks to the folks here for alerting us to the issue. At least FR is going to pay to fix it -- now that we have brought it to their attention.
Pixey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #39
Class C Representative

When a dealer says that it turns out they haven't even placed an order for them. If it is a small item they will wait for a bulk order so they can mix it in to the shipping cost.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #40

My dealer said for me to contact FR direct and ask about getting the upgrade to full auto. I sent an email on Monday, so far no reply. Have my Forester 5 months now. Hope it's not too late.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling