Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2016, 08:02 AM   #41

I just ordered a forester. Asked upfront about the auto levelers. Was told that they were indeed going to be the auto levelers, not the platinum stabilizer system. How do I check my unit on delivery to make sure I do have the right system. Would they ever put the stabilizing system on the camper and have the black face plate inside? Is there something to look for underneath the camper to know for sure? Makes me a little leery of FR now.
Slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #42
Citrus County, Fl.

They only used the Platinum "stabilizer" for a short time and all the units now being built have the "automatic leveling". The auto stabilizing ones all say platinum on them and are a silver and green panel. See my post #5.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #43

As stated this was only a select number of units for a short time. If your unit is being built now it is not effected.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #44
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovialjeeper View Post
I called Bigfoot and they said they've gotten a lot of calls from Forester owners. FR had switched to the platinum system but didn't change their literature, so people, like me, felt deceived.
Let me just clarify this, since I was the one that brought it to Bigfoot's attention and it seems like some people (including one in particular) are spewing forth speculation based on bitterness and zero facts. (and I'm not talking about you jovial)

1. Sunseeker/Forester has always spec'd in a full "auto leveling" system.
2. We used to mount the control panel at the dash, Ford said we could not do this anymore so we mounted it to a cord that was placed under the seat so you could use it sort of like a remote control.
3. While a few liked this feature, many felt like it was a poor location.
4. We decided to move the control panel to the entry door.
5. At the same time Bigfoot came to us and said they were going to a new control panel and asked us to "approve" their new color choice (gray and green) which we were fine with. At the same time we were also going to a single pump system to save weight.
6. At NO TIME did we ever ask them to change the features of the system.
7. We test every system. The line knew of no other changes, so they hit the button, the jacks all go down and seem to work as intended as we are on level ground anyway.
8. Either I got a call or I noticed something on the forum that it was not like the old system...the auto button was gone.
9. I confirmed with engineering that we were paying the exact same amount we always had and that we requested no other changes.
10. I called Bigfoot questioning the system. I said that this was not an auto leveling system. He said it was. When you push the button ALL 4 JACKS automatically come down and touch the ground. I said...yes, but it does not level. Bigfoot said, well from there you just adjust each jack to level. I said "but that is not automatic leveling" and he reiterated "they automatically come down". So after this episode of "who's on first". I informed him we never agreed to this and that they would immediately install the system that we have always asked for.

So, it was never anyones intent to make more profit (unless it was Bigfoots intent). We never "forgot" to change the literature as they proclaim. It was not failed QC. The line tested the system, they went down like normal and seemed to level the unit.

WE all know the intent of "Auto Levelers". it seemed Bigfoot was playing a game of semantics. And now you know the REST of the story.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #45

Thanks for the full story. I got the auto level system, so I guess I wasn't concerned in the least. Some others did seem to overreact to this situation. But since FR has done nothing but make things right about this from the get go it seemed a bit unnecessary.

We all think that everything that happens at the factory is a calculated, detailed and monitored event. And we need to remember in a product with so many thousands of parts and variables that "stuff" happens.

We are just plain lucky that FR factory reps participate here to help us, support the product and explain the details.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #46

Thanks for the response. Makes me feel better. I agree, the answers to questions do seem to come quickly.
Slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #47

I have to say that my decision to buy a Forest River RV was made in part by the availability of this forum and the behind the scene's work by Bill and Josh. Thanks for the assistance guys and keep up the good work!

RVr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Let me just clarify this, since I was the one that brought it to Bigfoot's attention and it seems like some people (including one in particular) are spewing forth speculation based on bitterness and zero facts. (and I'm not talking about you jovial)

1. Sunseeker/Forester has always spec'd in a full "auto leveling" system.
2. We used to mount the control panel at the dash, Ford said we could not do this anymore so we mounted it to a cord that was placed under the seat so you could use it sort of like a remote control.
3. While a few liked this feature, many felt like it was a poor location.
4. We decided to move the control panel to the entry door.
5. At the same time Bigfoot came to us and said they were going to a new control panel and asked us to "approve" their new color choice (gray and green) which we were fine with. At the same time we were also going to a single pump system to save weight.
6. At NO TIME did we ever ask them to change the features of the system.
7. We test every system. The line knew of no other changes, so they hit the button, the jacks all go down and seem to work as intended as we are on level ground anyway.
8. Either I got a call or I noticed something on the forum that it was not like the old system...the auto button was gone.
9. I confirmed with engineering that we were paying the exact same amount we always had and that we requested no other changes.
10. I called Bigfoot questioning the system. I said that this was not an auto leveling system. He said it was. When you push the button ALL 4 JACKS automatically come down and touch the ground. I said...yes, but it does not level. Bigfoot said, well from there you just adjust each jack to level. I said "but that is not automatic leveling" and he reiterated "they automatically come down". So after this episode of "who's on first". I informed him we never agreed to this and that they would immediately install the system that we have always asked for.

So, it was never anyones intent to make more profit (unless it was Bigfoots intent). We never "forgot" to change the literature as they proclaim. It was not failed QC. The line tested the system, they went down like normal and seemed to level the unit.

WE all know the intent of "Auto Levelers". it seemed Bigfoot was playing a game of semantics. And now you know the REST of the story.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #48
Class C Representative

Thanks! Bill's real name is Brian lol
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #49

My bad.

Names were never my strong suit, at least I was 50% right
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #50
Citrus County, Fl.

Just a quick update. I had left a voice mail with the Forester/Sunseeker service rep and after a week I didn't get a call back. I sent a PM to Joshua who forwarded it to the service manager but still have not heard anything. It's been close to 2 months and i feel very disappointed.

I spoke to my dealer about it and they are gong to try and get approval. We are planning on going to the international rally in Goshen and i would be ok with them installing the kit there. Hopefully I will hear something positive this week.
99 Terry 31G
Old 03-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #51
Citrus County, Fl.

As a footnote, I realize this is not FR's fault, but Bigfoot's for sending the auto stabilizers to the plant instead of the levelers.
99 Terry 31G
Old 03-08-2016, 09:12 PM   #52
Citrus County, Fl.

Great news. After educating my dealer and showing them what was posted on here, they called FR and was authorized to install the kit.
99 Terry 31G
Old 03-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #53

CW installed the Bigfoot jacks retrofit parts and we got our 3171 back this week. They also looked at our furnace that was rattling like crazy. We had looked in the area underneath the fridge and couldn't figure out what was making the noise. Apparently, a vent was loose and the hole for it was too small, so they made a larger hole and screwed it in by accessing the vent from the outside.
Pixey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:28 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixey View Post
CW installed the Bigfoot jacks retrofit parts and we got our 3171 back this week. They also looked at our furnace that was rattling like crazy. We had looked in the area underneath the fridge and couldn't figure out what was making the noise. Apparently, a vent was loose and the hole for it was too small, so they made a larger hole and screwed it in by accessing the vent from the outside.

Pixey, does the Bigfoot retro fit look any different than the original jacks or did they just replace the controller?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:14 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Pixey, does the Bigfoot retro fit look any different than the original jacks or did they just replace the controller?
Good question Ben. I don't see the need right now as I only use the Platinum in manual anyway. Is it true they tend to over extend and can take the rear wheels off the ground if you're not careful?
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:16 AM   #56

I have had my rear wheels come off the ground.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:32 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
I have had my rear wheels come off the ground.
What preventing the MH from rolling and damaging the levelers where you can't retract them?
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:05 AM   #58

Oh the minute I saw the rear wheels come off ground I retracted the Jacks and got coach closer to level with blocks first
Old 03-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #59

Message 15 describes the process. Jacks themselves are the same. DH is impressed by the auto-leveling compared to the Platinum system, which could raise things too high on its own.
Pixey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #60
Citrus County, Fl.

Pixey, I hope to get mine done in a week or two as soon as the kit comes in. With the Plantinum the front wheels always lift off the ground, even if the ground is fairly level. Have you determined this does not happen with the new kit installed?
99 Terry 31G

Tags
leveling