Old 05-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #1

Black and Grey water tank observations

I believe my black and grey water tanks are like the one in the photo. They appear to have a sloping bottom and the levels appearing on the gauges don't match the actual levels at all (I know, none do!). They may have set the probes at equal measurements at the deep end. So as it fills the the tank capacity broadens. I find that it quickly rises to 1/3 and then to 2/3. I tried slowly filling the tank and watching the gauge. 2/3 was actually closer to 45%.
Another observation is that the black water tank is only fed by the toilet and the Kitchen and bathroom sinks along with the shower feed the grey water tank. My Winnebago Minnie had the bathroom sink also empty into the black water tank so that both tanks filled more evenly. With the drain pattern in the Forester, I find that after the 2nd day of camping the grey water is 2/3 full and the black is 1/3. On the third day, I still have the same readings and begin to worry about the grey water reaching full.
When we leave for home and I dump the black water is still on 1/3 and the grey is 2/3. The black hardly has any thing and the grey is draining and draining. They should have had the bathroom sink drain into the black instead of the grey tank to give it more liquid for dumping and extending stay time before dumping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1762.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	109239  

Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #2

Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #3

Funny you mention this Sage.
I was just scratching my head yesterday when my black tank showed 2/3 after draining it at the last park we were at.
I added about 15 gallons of water (approx) with my black tank cleanout and it still read 2/3. Drained it all. Now shows 1/3.
These sensors suck I think.
I am going to get some new ones.

Does anyone know if there are external ones that can be attached without an inside probe?

My gray water seems fine since it just holds the shower.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
Funny you mention this Sage.
I was just scratching my head yesterday when my black tank showed 2/3 after draining it at the last park we were at.
I added about 15 gallons of water (approx) with my black tank cleanout and it still read 2/3. Drained it all. Now shows 1/3.
These sensors suck I think.
I am going to get some new ones.

Does anyone know if there are external ones that can be attached without an inside probe?

My gray water seems fine since it just holds the shower.
I use a wand down the toilet every so often and give it a good blast, used to have sensor problems with the old Winnebago as the probes would collect TP. Not sure what type of sensors the Foresters and Sunseekers have, internal or external.
Your gray is shower only, no kitchen or bathroom sink? That's odd!
Old 05-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
I use a wand down the toilet every so often and give it a good blast, used to have sensor problems with the old Winnebago as the probes would collect TP. Not sure what type of sensors the Foresters and Sunseekers have, internal or external.
Your gray is shower only, no kitchen or bathroom sink? That's odd!
Sinks go to the black- all on the same side on my unit.I figured that would be ok with the added water to the black tank.
My probes are internal.
Probably will just change them out.
I think the delivery person (or someone at the dealer) used the toilet before I bought it. It stunk a little. May have caused issues.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
Sinks go to the black- all on the same side on my unit.I figured that would be ok with the added water to the black tank.
My probes are internal.
Probably will just change them out.
I think the delivery person (or someone at the dealer) used the toilet before I bought it. It stunk a little. May have caused issues.
It's my understanding that the driver can't use the facilities or the bed. It would be a problem with no water and left sitting on the dealers lot drying out. The pyramid syndrome!
Really are you sure about the drainage, did you test it? My kitchen is on the opposite. Since the tanks run side to side, it's easy for them to setup drainage into either tank. Funny there is only one roof vent for all tanks. My Winnebago had one for each.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #7

Probes have been a problem in these units for years. Can't believe a better system hasn't come along that manufacturers have gone to. My brand new unit fresh water tank goes from showing empty to showing full. I looked And it looks like the probes are just to close to each other.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #8

I think toilet paper gets stuck on the sensors and gives false readings until it gets washed off.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #9

Lightbulb Sensor Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmezzan View Post
I think toilet paper gets stuck on the sensors and gives false readings until it gets washed off.
I believe you are correct!. The sensors are nothing more than a non-corrosive metal electrode that penetrates the tank wall. They operate by measuring the electrical resistance between the common electrode and the subsequent.other electrodes. The controller interprets the low resistance from each sensor to determine how full to show on the display.The contaminated water in the tank environment is relatively lower resistance than an empty tank with clean sensors. Any contaminated liquid or solid (TP) would be of low enough ressistance to be in range of the control panel settings to give you an improper reading. use some water softener and some liquid detergent after the last dump before breaking camp, add a few gallons of water for the drive home and next time you camp, let it go until reasonably full, then dump and rinse well. This is the basis for the "GEO Method" and I find that it works very well with keeping the sensors cleaqn and operating.

Swampy
Old 05-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #10
TARVIDSON

Yes, there is a better probe

There is a better probe made, called the Horst Miracle Probe, a bit grandiose for a black tank perhaps. see link to video.

This being said, buying a $10 wand at your RV dealer will clean the TP off your sensors plus generally clean the tank in about 5 minutes. Even with new probes you are still going to be guessing how much is in your tank within the range between lights. When the black tank is still reading something above empty after dumping I get out the wand, problem solved.

Tags
black, grey water, tank, water, water tank