Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2017, 07:24 AM   #1

Broken Shade Bracket

I had just parked my RV in storage and went to the back to pull down the shade and this is what I found. Looks like the corners broke off the bracket. From another thread it looks like I might be able to get some replacements from Irvine Shade and Door. Has anyone had to replace a shade bracket yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170925_194403.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	152563   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170925_202859.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	152564  
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've replaced several already. Fairly easy depending on your valance. I have one shade that I have to remove the valance in order to get the shade back in. I always get several spares while at the Goshen rally each year, so I haven't had to get them from Irvine, but I hear they will send them to you.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I've replaced several already. Fairly easy depending on your valance. I have one shade that I have to remove the valance in order to get the shade back in. I always get several spares while at the Goshen rally each year, so I haven't had to get them from Irvine, but I hear they will send them to you.

Agreed on getting a few for spares. Do you recall about how much they where? Also, I'm thinking of adding a third bracket for the back window. The rear takes bumps harder than the front and that might expedite the failure of brackets. With a third bracket that would take some weight off the other two brackets and maybe prevent future breakage.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Agreed on getting a few for spares. Do you recall about how much they where? Also, I'm thinking of adding a third bracket for the back window. The rear takes bumps harder than the front and that might expedite the failure of brackets. With a third bracket that would take some weight off the other two brackets and maybe prevent future breakage.
Those that talked to Irvine I think got them for nothing. I know mine were nothing. That's the beauty of Goshen.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Those that talked to Irvine I think got them for nothing. I know mine were nothing. That's the beauty of Goshen.
I spoke to Irvine yesterday as well and the girl was very helpful. After I explained my problem she acknowledged that they have been having an issue with the RV manufacturers not installing the appropriate number of brackets per shade to support the shade weight in a moving environment consequently they are getting a lot of calls about broken brackets. She is sending 6 more brackets at no cost and recommended installing at least one additional bracket per shade and maybe even two on the shade in the rear bedroom.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #6

Quick update. I should note that not only did the shade in our rear window only have two brackets, but each bracket only had one screw into the wall. The left screw had started to pull through and and consequently allowed the shade to bounce and eventually break that bracket. I have since added a third bracket in the middle and each bracket is secured with two screws to the wall. After a 1500 mile trip to NC a few weeks ago, everything seems to be holding up quite well.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Awesome! Glad you got it all fixed up.