Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2018, 08:19 PM   #1
Drew

Buyer Beware

We took possession of a 2019 Forester two weeks ago. Dealer went through all of the normal stuff at the delivery inspection and we took off 13 miles to our first camping trip.

Got to site and went to wash hands and had no hot water (only cold water came out of the tap). Checked that hot water heater was on (it was). Called dealer service and and they asked a few questions and could not resolve problem. Argued back and forth about me bringing in the rig and them sending out a tech (they eventually sent out the tech). Turns out that MH came from the factory with hot water heater in bypass mode. FR QA shipped this way and dealer did not catch it. Dealer bought me a new hot water heater as old one dry fired all night.

Second issue - step went up and down but would not stay down when switch was turned on/off. Blown fuse.

Third issue - could not talk to anybody over Bluetooth. Turns out there was no mic installed.

Lesson learned - go over EVERY system you can think of before you leave the dealer. FR QA not so good. Dealer QA not so good.

The dealer eventually fixed or had fixed (Thank you Car Toys Silverdale, WA for your great service) everything, but it cost them a small fortune in parts, labor and in customer good will.
OregonForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:23 PM   #2

if that was all you found wrong on your first trip I would say you were golden...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #3

Yep, most likely you’ve only just begun, most likely. Mabee you’ll get lucky and actually not have anymore issues. Time will tell.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #4

So let me get this straight, you went through all the normal stuff at inspection at the dealer but you did not turn on the hot water? Looks like you and the dealer dropped the ball.

Why did they have to replace the whole water heater and not just the heating element? Is it an on demand water heater?

If this is all your problems you are in great shape... have fun camping.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #5

I can't believe how many people complain about the quality of their RV but didn't do a thorough PDI.

I won't leave a dealer unless I have done everything from filling all tanks with water to check for leaks, running a/c to ensure no condensation leakage into camper, testing fridge (turn on overnight), water pumps, heater, etc..etc...etc.. My last PDI, dealer said there was no convenient source of power for the camper, I told him no worries as I had brought my 3kw generator just for the occasion.
TranceX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #6
B47

Here's my take on the OP's post - every one that replied so far has put some or all of the blame on him for not catching these things at the dealers during the PDI.

I strongly disagree and here's why:

1) these simple screw ups should have never been made at the factory and not caught by their so called QA.

2) the dealer should have caught these screw ups before the OP ever saw the RV.

This is a perfect example of blaming the messenger for bad news. The OP has every right to expect a perfect RV before taking delivery. The PDI should simply be made to familiarize the new owner with his unit. He should expect hot water to come out of the hot water signot.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #7

Expectations and reality are usually not in the same universe when it comes to RV's. This is why we have this forum to educate people before, during, and after a purchase.

There are enough reports on consumer websites regarding spotty RV quality.

I do feel bad for the OP who got an unfortunate dose of reality.

I do wish one day we can have the same consumer protection lemon laws for RVs as we do for automobiles.
TranceX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:47 AM   #8

I did a very thorough PDI but came a cross a few small issues over the next two camping trips. I just fixed all the small issues myself.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #9

B47...

Quote:
The OP has every right to expect a perfect RV before taking delivery.
YES he (or she) does and we all expect perfection... but the RV dealership experience AND RV factory quality control REALITY is different then any buyer's expectation is it not? That is WHY he got the responses that he did...

This forum is filled with exceptions to buyer's expectations NOT fulfilled...

Just trying to bring a dose of reality to the OP... because he is in for more disappointments.

Maybe at some future date some foreign manufacturer will start making a quality, near perfect RV product and turn the domestic maker's on their collective ears, just like happened to Detroit in the 80's...

Yesterday I watched this youtube video https://youtu.be/NWdCtwJm6nA
about the mid-70's GMC produced motorhome... a quality product from way-back-then, that even today might be a great seller, however, as was pointed out in the vid, the bean-counters got involved, and production got shut down.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #10

Has anybody ever thought about paying for an inspection by a certified NRVIA inspector prior to buying one?
Leo1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #11

If it helps any, my PDI did not include pressurization of the plumbing since it had been winterized. The TT went directly to storage with no plans to camp right now. I made sure the sales paperwork included wording that I would bring it back in a month for dewinterization and a plumbing check once the weather warms up.
I am a little bit concerned but the dealer should eat any problems should they occur.
Optimism is not an attribute with FR products.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:25 PM   #12

Pro tip:

Always check the water heater for WATER before turning on the heating element! That's the owners responsibility.

New camper, old camper, borrowed camper, camper out storage, first trip of the season, last trip of the season, etc. etc. Every time.

That said, I and most of us have experience problems. I'm glad yours were minor. Some have had some MAJOR first trip issues.
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #13
waybeck2018

Bought my 2019 Primetime Tracer from a dealer about two hours away in September 2018. Had a thorough PDI, then the dealer took the Tracer to a camp ground near by and paid for me to to stay there over night. They wanted to make sure everything was right, and it was. But what a great idea for them to pay for an overnight stay! Made it easy for everyone and what a great customer experience.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #14
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Here's my take on the OP's post - every one that replied so far has put some or all of the blame on him for not catching these things at the dealers during the PDI.

I strongly disagree and here's why:

1) these simple screw ups should have never been made at the factory and not caught by their so called QA.

2) the dealer should have caught these screw ups before the OP ever saw the RV.

This is a perfect example of blaming the messenger for bad news. The OP has every right to expect a perfect RV before taking delivery. The PDI should simply be made to familiarize the new owner with his unit. He should expect hot water to come out of the hot water signot.
Most if not all campers come from the factory in the water by pass mode so dealers can winterize if need be. I'd put the blame on dealer and also on OP for not doing a good PDI. I wonder if the OP ever owned a camper prior to the current one. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #15
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
my PDI did not include pressurization of the plumbing since it had been winterized. The TT went directly to storage with no plans to camp right now.
Ditto for me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed all will go well with plumbing and water heater when I pressurize this Spring.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
If it helps any, my PDI did not include pressurization of the plumbing since it had been winterized. The TT went directly to storage with no plans to camp right now. I made sure the sales paperwork included wording that I would bring it back in a month for dewinterization and a plumbing check once the weather warms up.
I am a little bit concerned but the dealer should eat any problems should they occur.
Optimism is not an attribute with FR products.
We picked up our 2016 3011 in January. The dealer did not want to test the water system as part of the PDI because it had been winterized but I insisted. Once the system was connected and water pressurized, we went though the RV and checked all the water systems. Everything looked good but as we where walking out of the RV I stepped into a puddle of water. Upon closer inspection the kitchen faucet had a factory defect in the connector to the PVC pipe and was leaking significantly. It took them a few hours to get it out and replace with another another unit from a different RV.

I'm glad I insisted that this test be completed as I can only imagine the possible damage that might have occurred if this had been discovered during our first camping trip!

RVr
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1956 View Post
Has anybody ever thought about paying for an inspection by a certified NRVIA inspector prior to buying one?
That might mean something if RIVA meant anything . a joke imo , and manufactures plaster there RIVA seal on the units like it really means anything. yep just a joke
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #18

We bought our 3011DS from RV Wholesalers and the orientation took about 6 hours. They went through everything, some things twice, because we asked them to.
Our unit went through PDI, and was winterized (September delivery).

We told them that we were camping on the way home, so the unbypassed the water heater and filled the water tank for us.

It’s unfortunate that the customer has to be astute enough to ask all the questions. We have been RV ing for 40 years, so we knew what to look for.

Thank You; Brian French
Brianfrench65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Al Hot water heaters are bypassed when shipped and in my experience they are winterized from the factory.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #20
DaLexusGuy

The ole' 80/20 rule applies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianfrench65 View Post
We bought our 3011DS from RV Wholesalers and the orientation took about 6 hours. They went through everything, some things twice, because we asked them to.
Our unit went through PDI, and was winterized (September delivery).

We told them that we were camping on the way home, so the un-bypassed the water heater and filled the water tank for us.

It’s unfortunate that the customer has to be astute enough to ask all the questions. We have been RVing for 40 years, so we knew what to look for.

Thank You; Brian French
I would wager that 80 percent of the dealers do a poor-to-marginal pre-delivery inspection. No matter how nice or friendly they are, you should count on that being the case. And, more than a few dealers literally just "tank it and spank it" and let 'er go.

In my most recent delivery, the dealer didn't have anyone in service or sales who was familiar with the OneControl touch pad use or operation, and therefore had no one who could inspect and verify that is was working correctly (spoiler alert: it wasn't).

Thank you Brian for talking up one of the good ones. I am always glad to hear about the 20 percent that are serious and do the right thing. They need to continue to be recognized.
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester