Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #1

Buying a used Forester

Hello everyone! I have never been here before but I am not new to RVing. Been out of it a couple years. Had a 2008 Phaeton DP then. Sold it had way too many issues with the CAT engine. Looking to get back in and I have found a nice 2013 forester 3011DS with only 7K miles on it. Looks to be optioned out very nice. So my question is what should I be concerned about? Has this been a good coach? any known problems? What do they generally sell for? I know how to buy DP and how to figure out the price you should pay but the gas market I have not watched so close. In the DP world you have to mark off 26% the first year and the 4% each model year after that to come up with a good used price. I know what NADA says but what do they really sell for out there. Any input would be great as this deal may happen tomorrow. Thanks for any advice on what to check out on this model. Please PM me with price info so we do not make any one upset on the fourm.

Dan
ViperBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:42 AM   #2
Site Team

it would help if you posted what area of the country you're in.
because RV prices vary greatly by region. since most RV's are made in the Midwest, new and used prices tend to be lower there, while prices are higher on the West Coast.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #3

I am in Utah. Not liking Utah winters at all since I am from So Cal. We usually hit the beach a few times a year.

Dan
Old 03-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Site Team

well, Viper, prices in the West are higher, used or new. the farther you are away from Indiana, the higher the prices go up.
dealers claim high transport costs but if you compare prices with Midwest dealers, obviously the Western dealers are making a profit on the transport costs also.

the only time you see competitive prices, are when the RV is made out west.
for example, Wildcat opened up a factory in Oregon a few years ago, with models known as Wildcat Maxx. most Wildcat models out west, are from that factory and prices for them can be close to what Wildcats made in the Indiana factory, sell for.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #5

So would you consider 70K for a decked out full body paint with all options 2013 forester a deal? Or is that about what you would find on a lot at retail?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #6

I don't know if that is a good price for your area or not but (depending on options) it may be within about 10-15K of a brand new one in this area.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #7

Keep in mind that the factory warranty is only 12 months on the coach. Depending on when the coach was sold as new will determine how many months are left on the factory warranty. I paid 72.5 for my 2014 3011ds fully loaded but without satellite and full paint options in Virginia beach. Full paint is approximately a $4500 option + dealer markup. Looks like you would only be saving 7K on a used optioned out 2013 3011ds if you wear buying it on the East Coast with a shorter factory warranty. I cant speak for West Coast prices. How much would it coast you if you wear to order a 2014/2015 with the same options in your area?
kodiak ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak ak View Post
Keep in mind that the factory warranty is only 12 months on the coach.
If motorhomes are anything like trailers, the factory warranty doesn't transfer.

IMO, if it were me- I'd definitely buy a 3rd party warranty.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #9

I have to ask. I hope it does not come off as rude. Did you check the Forest River web site concerning all the options. Lets just say the words "fully loaded" can mean many things to different people. I was shown a fully loaded Class C per the sales guy. Well it was not. Be careful.
parpar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by parpar1 View Post
I have to ask. I hope it does not come off as rude. Did you check the Forest River web site concerning all the options. Lets just say the words "fully loaded" can mean many things to different people. I was shown a fully loaded Class C per the sales guy. Well it was not. Be careful.
+1

To be honest we did not get the grill either.
No:
Grill
Satellite
Full body paint

I don't want to get into a debate but I don't like 3rd party warrantees. If you choose to do a third party warranty make sure you read plenty of reviews of the company and Know what your plan will cover and how they will cover it. Will you need to pay up front for work and then submit receipt for reimbursement, will they cover items broken from normal use or just factory defects. Will they cover all labor rates or just what they feel the job should cost. Call random Forest River dealers in the areas you plan to travel and tell them you have XXX aftermarket warranty and you have XXX problem with your fridge, slide out, A/C or any other part of your coach. Then ask if they will accept that warranty as full payment.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #11
Always Learning

Great advice, Kodak. I wholly agree- I only recommend it because used units don't get mfr factory warranties. But you make all valid points.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperBlue View Post
Hello everyone! I have never been here before but I am not new to RVing. Been out of it a couple years. Had a 2008 Phaeton DP then. Sold it had way too many issues with the CAT engine. Looking to get back in and I have found a nice 2013 forester 3011DS with only 7K miles on it. Looks to be optioned out very nice. So my question is what should I be concerned about? Has this been a good coach? any known problems? What do they generally sell for? I know how to buy DP and how to figure out the price you should pay but the gas market I have not watched so close. In the DP world you have to mark off 26% the first year and the 4% each model year after that to come up with a good used price. I know what NADA says but what do they really sell for out there. Any input would be great as this deal may happen tomorrow. Thanks for any advice on what to check out on this model. Please PM me with price info so we do not make any one upset on the fourm.

Dan
So; whats the word, Did you buy it?

Will N.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperBlue View Post
So would you consider 70K for a decked out full body paint with all options 2013 forester a deal? Or is that about what you would find on a lot at retail?

Seems high especially since it is used and almost 2 model years old as the model year swap to 2015 occurs in about a month. I bought my 2012 Sunseeker 3120 new (factory ordered exactly as I wanted) for just over $67k. It does not have every option but most including the high cost ones of full body paint and auto leveling jacks.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote