Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #1

Camera display monitor blinking

This may be a question for the "electronic" section but since this is motorhome equipment I thought it might be more unit specific.
On my coach, when in drive and the rear camera monitor is on, the display has an occasional blink. I haven't noticed if it does it for the side cameras since I don't leave the view of those on. I also noticed the blink also occurs when I press the brake. I pulled the knee panel under the dash and checked all the wiring and everything looks OK.
I was more curious if anyone else experienced the same blinking or of there is something going on with my video switch for the cameras.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #2

I had something similar with mine ('13 Sunseeker 3100). When the side cameras were on, the screen flashed to a black screen every 7 - 8 seconds. I called the backup camera people and they immediately recognized the problem. The sent a multiplexer and wiring harness. Had the unit at the dealer for the first batch of warranty work. They did that too. Problem solved.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

Mines always blinked when I hit the brakes, but usually only after driving for a while. If coming into town or something, hit the brake and it'll blink once, then if hitting the brakes frequently after that, it won't. My tiffin did the same thing.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Commercial Member

My Nissan Altima radio screen blinks at times too. I'm waiting for the day when it goes out (3 years and one day I'm sure). It seems completely random...like some refresh or something. I only notice it because I see a white flash out of the corner of my eye.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the input! Mine behaves more like John's but it flutters a bit when the side camera is activated. I believe I narrowed down the cause to be voltage related. I notice it most when the engine isn't running. But it also happens when the brakes are engaged. I'm thinking the drop in voltage with the engine off or when the brake lights come on drop the accessory voltage enough to affect the power needs of the camera monitor. Every time time the monitor blinked, I measured a quick drop in voltage - like it was doing a quick re-start or refresh like Brian mentions.
On our trip out this past weekend I had the monitor on the entire drive (about an hour and 20 minutes). The monitor didn't blink for the long drive of the trip until I stepped on the brakes.

Well that problem seems to be solved now I have to get the media switch box and bunk/bedroom slide worked on.
The score is:
2 trips to the dealer
1 trip to camping

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote