Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #1

Campground cable hook up

We are still RV newbies. We went to a campground this weekend that had cable but I wasn’t sure how to hook up. I saw where there cable hook up was. I suspect I would be hooking up near TV which is on other side than outside outlet
Do you buy a long cable? Anything else besides change source on tv?
Thanks
sportsdad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Look around near where your other exterior service connections are.....water, electricity, sewer. If you find a coax connector in the same area, this will be where you connect coax from the campground source to your rig. Look for a switch inside your rig that determines whether your feed is cable, over the air, or satellite. If using cable, turn OFF the booster button to the roof antenna amplifier. Then you need to make sure you go to menu for your television and identify which source, then perform a scan for channels.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdad12 View Post
We are still RV newbies.
Do you buy a long cable?
Thanks
Yes you need to buy a long coax cable to go between the campground cable hookup and your camper. There are a few campgrounds that provide that cable but few.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #4

Hook up coach cable between camper and campground
In camper make sure TV antenna power is turned off
Turn TV to over the air (TV mode) and search for channels
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:31 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
To add. You might need to select cable mode to search channels on your TV.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
Commercial Member

and make sure your TV antenna booster is OFF

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:38 PM   #7

Buy a good quality coax cable. There are various quality ones.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #8

Be sure to ask the campground office if you need to rent a converter box that works with their system. It could be just a deposit with full or partial refund when returned. Be sure to ask as some campgrounds HAD cable but it no longer works.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #9

Campground Cable Hook-up

The first time I went to hook-up the cable (following all the advice above), I discovered the remanufactured TV provided with my rig did not have a QAM tuner and therefore, could not receive the cable signal. Most cable systems without a cable box require a QAM tuner.
Tuckers Truckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #10

Digital decoder box

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Be sure to ask the campground office if you need to rent a converter box that works with their system. It could be just a deposit with full or partial refund when returned. Be sure to ask as some campgrounds HAD cable but it no longer works.
Our campground provides the digital cable decoder and a long cable at no charge, but the office often forgets to tell new folks they need it. They hook up a cable directly and wonder why it doesn't work. Fortunately this is usually resolved in a few minutes.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #11

Over at Amazon, a 10 pack of "Mumaxun(TM) 10pcs F Type Push On Quick Coax Connectors Adapter" is 8 bucks and makes connecting a breeze without skinning your knuckles!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1000_.jpg

2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #12

You can buy long cables that are ready for use at Lowe’s, ACE, True Value and Home Depot .
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #13

I use a 25 foot coax cable for my camper cable connection and have found that to be long enough for every camp ground I have visited.
You can buy longer, like a 50 footer to be on the safe side. Your choice.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
I use a 25 foot coax cable for my camper cable connection and have found that to be long enough for every camp ground I have visited.
You can buy longer, like a 50 footer to be on the safe side. Your choice.
50' cables are a pain when they get tangled. I prefer to carry two 25' cables and then connect using one of these:

My cables are equipped with the push on quick connectors so it's easy to extend as needed and the shorter cables store so much easier. Less chance of getting tangled when only needing a shorter cable.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Look around near where your other exterior service connections are.....water, electricity, sewer. If you find a coax connector in the same area, this will be where you connect coax from the campground source to your rig. Look for a switch inside your rig that determines whether your feed is cable, over the air, or satellite. If using cable, turn OFF the booster button to the roof antenna amplifier. Then you need to make sure you go to menu for your television and identify which source, then perform a scan for channels.
^^^^^^ What he said. The coax connection on the outside of the rig is probably not near the tv itself, but near the electrical connection.

Also, use the shortest coax cable that will reach between your rig and the campsite post.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #16

Location please

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Where might this switch be located? We have a 2017 Forester. We know where the booster switch is located but not the switch you are referring to. TYIA
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:35 PM   #17

Yeah-finally found coax cable (one more question)

Not camping for awhile but we went to check on our camper and storage and I was determined to find the coax cable hook on. I still don't have everything figured out-but getting closer.

1. I found the coax screw in where we plug our electric in. It was hidden in the back with a cap over it
2. I know how to find the cable coax connection at camp sites
3. Will have to look to see if a cable came with the camper( haven't looked yet)
4. If I plug one end into the camper coax plug and one into the campsite plug - is that it? I know how to change the input on the tv remote to cable. and I will change a switch from antenna booster.
5. We have another coax cable in the cabinet by our tv- what is that for? do I have to hook up something else.
If we get another day in the 50's - we will camp this winter. Just trying to plan for it
Thanks for being patient as I learn. Hard to learn all this stuff at an older age
I also learned how to use the amazon firestick
sportsdad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Where might this switch be located? We have a 2017 Forester. We know where the booster switch is located but not the switch you are referring to. TYIA
On the Forester there is a single push button switch located at the antenna coax outlet near the main TV or, depending on the model, in one of the upper wall cabinets probably very close to the DVD player.

There is not a “switch” to go from cable to OTA antenna. You do that from a selection on the menu shown when selecting TV settings.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
As someone else mentioned feel around where your main tv is connected via a coax cable (usually a plate on the wall) for a switch or push button. Push it and it should switch from on to off. On your tv much like your home tv go to menu and switch source to either Cable or OTA or it might say TV depending on what you want. You then need to scan to get all the channels. If after doing this no channels show or they are fuzzy, check that button again. Once a picture comes in clear you may need to rescan channels for those channels that were so weak they didn't pick up.
SunseekerFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:24 PM   #20

Our Forester has a cable input on the rear exterior near the Electric plug.
It works fine for cable TV.
We also have a cable input on the passenger exterior wall near the exterior AC plug.
Have not yet figured out what it is for. Cable TV does not work through it and
have not been able to get my satellite receiver to work through it.
I just run the satellite cable through a window.
Good Luck.
CDR Jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, campground, mpg