Old 08-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #51

I have too.

when I got the ok and talked to the dealer service rep, and all the emails were through, and the dealer rep said it was ordered, I followed up and got all the PO#'s and got the shipping confirmation, I waited three weeks to have someone contact me from the dealer, I finally called them to see what was going on, he told me that he had just received the door ( even though I got confirmation from forest river had shipped it and they received it in 7 days) and would be calling me to set up a appointment, well he never called. So I drove down there and made the appointment in person (20 minuet drive) anyway, forest river is not always at fault, when I contact them they respond the next work day, and are always ready to step in and help,
now the quality assurance stuff is another issue, to me they do not have any, any coach that could leave a factory with the wrong entrance door has no quality assurance PERIOD.
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I, personally, have been told be my local dealer that "they can't get the parts needed from FR and that is why my rig is still sitting in their lot". A rep here checked and the dealer NEVER ORDERED THEM. They shipped the same day as the dealer actually put the order in.

Herk

hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #52

Bought Local

Yesterday we bought local. First new trailer we bought was 500 miles north (south is Mexico). Went back twice and was lucky only minor things, state inspection and advise.

This time, dealer/stealer is less than 15 miles away and swore up and down they'd do everything to keep us fixed up. Local gossip is just the opposite of course.

In our case Campers World is about 300 miles to New Braunfels (tourist town and busy to overflowing) or 360 miles to Katy, TX.

I got no help from CW when approached about buying a rig, so, followed recommendation to buy local. NOW! Will see about extended warranty from CW as I'm Good Sam Life Member and use Road Side Assistance from them. Wonder what the quote will be??????

Old 08-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #53

Our experience has been good

In the past, we have owned 3 (non-FR) trailers that were purchased locally and found that we usually only took them back once for repairs (that we probably could have done better ourselves). The repairs were mostly minor and took "forever" to get done.
Our new 5th wheel was ordered through RVdirect after shopping locally and getting an absolute final price that was $8,000 over the online price. We figured that $8,000 was worth MAYBE having to fix a few things ourselves.
So far, we have been really pleased with the Flagstaff 5th wheel we purchased. It seems well built and has everything that we ordered. It was totally cleaned and well-prepped by DesMoines RV before we picked it up there. We haven't found one single thing wrong with it. (Although we have done a few minor mods to make it "our own".)
That being said, if there are any major issues that we can't fix, we will contact FR for advice on how to proceed. I think most companies are willing to work with you on issues to get them resolved.

On another note, my sister bought a 5th wheel "up north" and brought it back to Texas. The trailer had several issues that could only be fixed in a shop. She had an awful time with Camping World doing shoddy work and out and out lying to her. She contacted FR and they helped her through getting the work done elsewhere.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #54

a dealer should have every incentive to provide warranty. why not? service after the sale is the greatest selling point except for price. so, why the issues on warranty? warranty flat rates are up to half the time of insurance flat rates. they also cause the dealer to inflate the labor rate he uses to compensate for the lack of compensation. dealers also end up finding "extra" things wrong to repair to offset this or even pencil whip the warranty department. the problems of reduced payment for a repair are compounded by warranty paperwork red tape that is not compensated for as well. these units are not checked out by the mfg as claimed. they are shipped with a host of issues. with these dynamics going on...its a wonder it functions at all....
Old 08-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #55

I've said this before and I'll say it again. We need to contact our elected officials and campaign for a regulatory office other than the RV Industry policing its own, it's not working, hasn't worked since I started buying RVs in the early 80's! I hate government regulation just as much as the next person but nothing else has worked! I know that if my E450 chassis or powertrain has a problem that Ford will fix it with no problems; I know this from personal experience! The same should be with FR and the like. Kid gloves only leaves the consumer (us) left in the dark. I pay way too much for my RV's to be treated this way. I can spend my hard earn money other ways and will. Any time you finance a vehicle that depreciates as much as RV's does in just a couple years then we take a hit twice on the chin! If the RV Industry doesn't change its ways very soon then I'm voting with my feet and I suggest that others reevaluate your position. I guarantee the RV Industry will get the message and those who don't change their archaic perspective will not longer exist. The market will force this industry to change!

Frank
KM4FVI
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #56
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

I don't care if it's a car dealer or a camper dealer there are good ones and bad ones.

( these units are not checked out by the mfg as claimed. they are shipped with a host of issues. with these dynamics going on...its a wonder it functions at all....)

From the tour I took last week I saw a lot of issues corrected at the end of the production line. One thing should be noted and that is the plant we toured was one of the longest one producing tt so more pride there than say newer plants that do not employ as many Amish folks. The plant we visited was im Millersburg where some of the folks are 3rd gen employees. I think the QC is much better there than other plants. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #57

I bought ESP from Good Sams but because it was recommended by other service company that's local you don't have to use CW for extended warranty if other service providers take that insurance for work. There was two recommended but other has to be bought thru dealer at twice the cost
Old 08-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #58
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

In the case of FR tt you an buy an additional one year extension for $150 and covers everything the original warranty cover's. This is what I did. It has to be done within 10 days of purchase and most dealers will not inform you of it because they want to sell you the High dollar one. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
In the case of FR tt you an buy an additional one year extension for $150 and covers everything the original warranty cover's. This is what I did. It has to be done within 10 days of purchase and most dealers will not inform you of it because they want to sell you the High dollar one. Later RJD
That is the first bad mark against my dealer. They did not inform me of that. Only found out too late when I read this forum.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #60

Noted on almost contract

Very good to know. I just made stickey not on my purchase agreement about this and will see how they come across at money/signing time.

Tags
camping, forest river, warranty