Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #1

Camping World will no longer do Forest River warranty work

Called local Camping World to make an appointment to check out a slide problem.
Was first ask if it was warranty or customer paid. So I ask why and was told that new corporate policy was that CW would not do Forest River Warranty work unless you had bought the motorhome from them. I had had warranty work done there before and did not buy from them.
Well my one year warranty was up in June and now have a slide problem.
So told them it would be customer paid so they could make an appointment which was over a month from now to get it checked out.
So not sure if they are that busy or their way of punishing people that did not buy from them.
So it looks like CW will no longer be my first choice for anything for the motorhome.
Anybody else run in to this issue? Would hate to be on the road somewhere and not be able to get something fixed.
Seems like Forest River would not have dealers with that kind of mindset and would require to be a dealer they have to do any warranty work requested.
Allagante
allagante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #2

Camping World will no longer do Forest River warranty work

The fact they will not do warranty work on a trailer not bought from them is very common in the rv industry. Rv dealers are not like car dealers and they have no obligation to do warranty work on an rv not purchased from them.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #3

That's right Happy. Most dealers will tell you right up front..."if you don't buy it from us, we won't do warranty work on it". End quote

That's pretty sorry, but that's how it is.

Jayco might be the exception to that, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

If you had a Forest River RV would Good Sams sell you a RV extended warranty plan? Somewhere there would be a cross between FR and Camping World repair coverage. Will either give in for each other's repairs?
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:56 PM   #5

You are witnessing the beginning of the end of a relationship between Camping World and Forest River.

Rumors abound.

Bruce
Old 08-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #6

Was trying to buy a new TT from a dealer in Amarillo that stated in their ads..."We'll beat any deal, anywhere!" Well they didn't beat the deal I got and instead of meeting the price for the trailer, I got..."Don't bring it here for service!" Needless to say... I didn't ever darken their doorway again... for any reason. That's about as poor as it can get in my opinion. This whole industry needs an overhaul. I wish I didn't love camping, sometimes. Lucky for me, I can fix about any of it myself.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #7
Class C Representative

Before anything gets out of hand let me get the facts straight and I'll report back.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #8

Quote:
You are witnessing the beginning of the end of a relationship between Camping World and Forest River.
Rumors abound.
Bruce
I think you are witnessing something much bigger.

Have found out the hard way that the RV business and dealing with anyone in the RV business is like dealing with the mob, mafia, or our government. Everyone last one of you making RVs or being a dealer should be darned ashamed of yourself. Hardly an honest one in the bunch. JMHO but I can prove it starting with my dealer in the Triad NC. .

As many have said before, this industry is ripe for a smart Japanese company to step in and blow the socks off the local boys. I'd be first in line as long as they put the door on the correct side of the trailer! Then again maybe that's the next frontier for Trump after he.....well.....
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #9

It's amazing with the quality issues and repair service that ANYONE buys RV'S.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
That's right Happy. Most dealers will tell you right up front..."if you don't buy it from us, we won't do warranty work on it". End quote

That's pretty sorry, but that's how it is.

Jayco might be the exception to that, but I'm not sure.
I had several dealers tell me that when I was looking for current TT. My response was always. "Thank You then I am not interested in doing business here" and I left

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #11

When I was looking for my 3051S the local dealer for a factory order wanted $96K for what I wanted MSRP was just under $123K. I bought out of state for the exact same list of options plus three thing not on the option list for $74K. Ever gave them the price to see if they could come closer. Their response was that is the best they could do, they had to support their lifestyles. When I said they were too high and I was going elsewhere they said they would not work on my RV for warranty or anything. I said the sales manger to put that in writing so I could send it to FR. He would not do that. So anytime anybody ask about my motorhome or any motorhome I tell them to not go to that dealer, go anywhere else. And go out of my way on this.
Allagante
allagante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #12

Camping World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
Before anything gets out of hand let me get the facts straight and I'll report back.
I think Camping World has got too big for their own good over priced and Good Sams discount is a joke you get the price with or without your card. If your on the road and need service and told not today or maybe not for a few days its time people just boycott Good Sams membership and Camping World until they smarten up. Maybe the other comment of hoping that the Japanese start building these is not such a bad idea.

One other item is that anyone who designs an RV should have to live in one for 5 or 6 months and take the staple guns out of the hands of some of the workers if you have been to the factories their nuts, after a long drive the rough road shake the daylights out of the coaches.
selkirk awards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #13

Cw&FR

The Good Sams warranty will have nothing to do with FR that's a extended warranty plan ,esp is what good sams calls it also warranty work doesn't pay very well is the way I understand it from service people . I have someone in my area that will do esp work but won't do FR warranty work confused yet
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Josh
I assume you mean that you want to get the facts straight about the relationship between FR and CW, before rumors get out of hand.
That may be helpful, especially for those of us who are crazy enough to still do business with CW.
More helpful would be an explanation of the relationship between FR and it's dealers in general, especially regarding warranty work. Anyone who reads this forum knows that this is a major topic, with numerous threads expressing deep dissatisfaction with the situation.
I'd be interested to know 1) what is the obligation, if any, of FR dealers to provide warranty service, regardless of where the unit was purchased; 2) what obligations does FR assume when providing a warranty as to actually getting the work done; 3) assuming that, (from my experience and that of many others), dealers do not have any obligation to provide warranty service, what steps has FR taken, and what advice does FR give to its customers, when warranty work is necessary, and the customer is not able to obtain service from a dealer?
FYI, I was told by my selling dealer, who is several hundred miles from where I live, that I could obtain warranty service "from any dealer that sells any FR product (not only Coachmen), including any CW". That was the main reason I was willing to buy so far away. Obviously, not true!
Thanks!
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
Josh
I assume you mean that you want to get the facts straight about the relationship between FR and CW, before rumors get out of hand.
That may be helpful, especially for those of us who are crazy enough to still do business with CW.
More helpful would be an explanation of the relationship between FR and it's dealers in general, especially regarding warranty work. Anyone who reads this forum knows that this is a major topic, with numerous threads expressing deep dissatisfaction with the situation.
I'd be interested to know 1) what is the obligation, if any, of FR dealers to provide warranty service, regardless of where the unit was purchased; 2) what obligations does FR assume when providing a warranty as to actually getting the work done; 3) assuming that, (from my experience and that of many others), dealers do not have any obligation to provide warranty service, what steps has FR taken, and what advice does FR give to its customers, when warranty work is necessary, and the customer is not able to obtain service from a dealer?
FYI, I was told by my selling dealer, who is several hundred miles from where I live, that I could obtain warranty service "from any dealer that sells any FR product (not only Coachmen), including any CW". That was the main reason I was willing to buy so far away. Obviously, not true!
Thanks!

Joshua,
I am also very concerned about this situation. I feel any Forest River dealer, as part of their dealer agreement, should be required to do warranty work on at least the FR product lines that they are a dealer for, regardless of where the unit was purchased. Especially an RV, since RVing is a very mobile lifestyle and you might be across the country when a warranty repair is needed. Imagine buying a new Chevrolet in Georgia and breaking down in Montana and being told by the Chevy dealer that they would not work on your car!!!
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #16

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Was trying to buy a new TT from a dealer in Amarillo that stated in their ads..."We'll beat any deal, anywhere!" Well they didn't beat the deal I got and instead of meeting the price for the trailer, I got..."Don't bring it here for service!" Needless to say... I didn't ever darken their doorway again... for any reason. That's about as poor as it can get in my opinion. This whole industry needs an overhaul. I wish I didn't love camping, sometimes. Lucky for me, I can fix about any of it myself.
The problem started with On-line wholesalers, posing as dealers. Customers start an on-line relationship with the wholesaler, mainly because of a lower price. Customer is sent to local dealership to do their shopping. Local salesperson (usually commissioned) does their best to sell the unit. Then customer buys it from wholesaler.. Customer has a warranty issue, calls wholesaler, who tells them to take it to local dealer. Why would the local dealer want to service this unit unit under warranty? Answer is they don't. The wholesaler made the profit on the front end & there is no profit in warranty work !
John Colman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #17
Class C Representative

1) If they are a Forest River dealer they are certified to work on any unit from Forest River. That doesn't obligate them to. All of our reps preach buying locally, it says it on our websites, and in our brochures. We are not able to Micromanage our dealers so if they choose to practice business a certain way then that is their choice.

We wouldn't ever let a Forest River owner hang out to dry. IF a dealer is refusing work our service and warranty guys have found other certified locations in your local area.

2) On our product we carry a one year or 12,000 mile warranty. Our service and warranty guys are fantastic and are always ready to help. I also keep my phone on my me and try to respond promptly to any Messages, posts or emails.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #18

100% agree with Flybob. If a dealer has so much business that he will not work on my unit because I did not buy it from him, then more power to him. By the same token, I will not be doing business in the future from him as he has more business than he needs.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Colman View Post
The problem started with On-line wholesalers, posing as dealers. Customers start an on-line relationship with the wholesaler, mainly because of a lower price. Customer is sent to local dealership to do their shopping. Local salesperson (usually commissioned) does their best to sell the unit. Then customer buys it from wholesaler.. Customer has a warranty issue, calls wholesaler, who tells them to take it to local dealer. Why would the local dealer want to service this unit unit under warranty? Answer is they don't. The wholesaler made the profit on the front end & there is no profit in warranty work !
Well....that's the problem right there! The dealer does not make any money on warranty work.
I worked most of my career in heavy-duty truck dealerships and for a major truck manufacturer. In the dealerships, we were reimbursed by the factory for the full labor rate equivalent to what the dealer would be paid by a retail customer. In addition, we made the same mark-up on parts that we would get from any other customer. In other words...warranty work was just as profitable as any other work. We gave the same customer service to all our customers, warranty ones included, whether they were from Indiana or just down the street in Oregon.
I realize that the RV industry is different, but I think they could learn a lot from the Auto/Truck industry. Regardless of what the customer paid, he chose to buy a Forest River product and should be treated the same.
Maybe Forest River should set an industry first and actually make warranty work profitable for their dealers.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #20

Quote:
1) If they are a Forest River dealer they are certified to work on any unit from Forest River. That doesn't obligate them to. All of our reps preach buying locally, it says it on our websites, and in our brochures. We are not able to Micromanage our dealers so if they choose to practice business a certain way then that is their choice.

We wouldn't ever let a Forest River owner hang out to dry. IF a dealer is refusing work our service and warranty guys have found other certified locations in your local area.

2) On our product we carry a one year or 12,000 mile warranty. Our service and warranty guys are fantastic and are always ready to help. I also keep my phone on my me and try to respond promptly to any Messages, posts or emails.
Joshua
Thanks for the answer, although it was somewhat incomplete.
I just re-read my brochure, and you are correct. It does "suggest" that one buys locally, in small print, on the back.
Unfortunately, I was verbally assured by my dealer to the contrary. I specifically asked about this, because I was hesitant to buy so far away.
BTW, my "local" Coachmen dealer, in Dublin, CA, 150 miles away, told me they couldn't provide service unless I bought it there, because the "Dublin city council wouldn't let them". After that BS, I wouldn't bring my bike to them for service.
Apparently, this isn't only an issue with me, as I am sure you and the rest of FR know. It also isn't only an issue with FR. No where was I instructed, prior to my purchase, how to obtain warranty service if my local dealer refused. I found out by spending hours on the phone (and this forum).
Since so many of your customers are so unhappy with this situation, I think it would be a tremendous service if FR explained this up front, and provided instructions how to obtain warranty service in this situation. Why not publish a list of authorized service stations on your web site, just to make it really easy?
Regarding the issue of "wholesalers", this is a common problem for all brick and mortar businesses these days. The way to combat it is to provide excellent local service. Most customers would be happy to pay a few bucks more for it. If it's a lot of bucks more, then you get what you pay for.
One last thing puzzles me. Everybody assumes that dealers don't want to provide warranty service. Why is that? They have service centers, they charge plenty, and non dealer service centers are plentiful and seem to be thriving. It's a business, like any other. If they can make money providing service, why don't they want to? I don't think it is because they are "too busy" (although I'm sure they are). It must, like almost everything else, have something to do with money. The direct question is does FR pay the service centers their going rate for labor, and do they pay promptly, with little hassle, just as if they were the customer buying non warranty service?
If the answer to any of these questions are no, then it's on FR.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, forest river, warranty