Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #101
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
You can also lower both ends,,, rain will run off Good !!!
I can't on my 5'ver as I have a slide under my awning that will rub and poke holes in it.

Plus, if the entrance door is open it will come down on it (already had that happen and it damaged the awning arm).

I rarely ever put it out all the way due to this.

I think this is a design flaw...one of those things you don't realize until you use it a few times that I've learned to live with.

I do have noodles to protect it, but that just a bandaid (have them on in bottom shot).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerUtahKOA-P1020477.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	196082   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerVegasHOC-P1020420.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	745.2 KB
ID:	196083   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerInSedonaAZ.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	666.6 KB
ID:	196084  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #102

I See John your awning does not give ya much useable shade,,, Your awning is a Great slide cover !!! it would be sweet if a awning could be installed right of the door ???
Or you could carry an EasyUp ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #103

John, I've never seen that! Most awnings are attached TO the slide, not above it.

I have a 2nd awning on the DS slide, but it's attached to the slide itself. I was told by an RV Tech (a good one!) that some slides don't have enough backing to do that, but some do.

I have a friend about to just add a 2nd awning to his slide. He's going to bolt the supports to the edge of slide where it sticks out, past the actual slide, like a lip.

However.......I have poles (I made them) and ratchet straps, but in a BIG wind, I'm taking it down. It would not make it in a big wind. The actual material is too loose between the trailer and roller. It flaps, or gives, too much in a big wind. Small wind, I'm ok. Rain, I'm ok. In fact, I had mine rolled up (not deployed) for a week, and it rained, and THEN I deployed it, and water was all in it. Meaning..........that even if it's not deployed, it gets wet. So go ahead and deploy it in the rain.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #104

There are quite a few that have an awning over a slide out. I was surprised, since most I saw rubbed on the top of the slide!
Old 02-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #105

Another great place for a Pool Noodle !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Or, I can pull one arm lower to angle and tighten the knob.
This is the method I prefer. This way the water goes where I want it to go, not a random dump on one end first then possibly the other end next

FWIW I usually lower the end away from the door. That way the door doesn't rub on the lower side of the awning. Haven't installed an "awning wheel" to the door yet.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #107

Quote:
I See John your awning does not give ya much useable shade,,, Your awning is a Great slide cover !!! it would be sweet if a awning could be installed right of the door ???
I do have an EasyUp, but don't always carry it because of weight.

Quote:
Another great place for a Pool Noodle !!!
Got the noodles...

You can't see them very well, but I took this shot just after I installed them for the first time!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ProwlerInSedonaAZ.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	666.6 KB
ID:	196104  
Old 02-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #108

Rain is not the only reason to angle the awning...

Sometimes the wind direction can dictate tilting one end.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #109

Quote:

The main awning should have been mounted towards the front, covering the bedroom window and the entry door....it probably would have left room for a slide topper over that slide and possibly even another awning attached to the slide for even more usable shade ?!?!
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:58 PM   #110

If your awning is of the older-style, manual deployment, there are two supporting arms that deploy from the base of the attachment to the RV. These can be adjusted to be longer or shorter depending on where you want to lower the awning to allow rain-off.

If your awning is an electrical deployment, there are adjustments that can be made after extending the awning fully, by pulling down one of the lower, hinged support arms at their pivot point, and then turning the locking screw to lock that side of the awning in a lower position. The process should be diagrammed in more detail than I can provide in your Owners Manual.

We have used this feature many times when confronted with moderate rain-fall. Heavy rain-fall and windy conditions means we haul in all of our awnings.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:50 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
The main awning should have been mounted towards the front, covering the bedroom window and the entry door....it probably would have left room for a slide topper over that slide and possibly even another awning attached to the slide for even more usable shade ?!?!
I'm not a fan of slide toppers, and I agree that my awning is almost useless with that big slide under it.

If that awning had been moved toward the front of the trailer just two inches (there is room...I checked), that awning would be so much more usable as I would be able to open the entrance door all the way without it interfering with the awning.

But...it is what it is...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010699.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	864.7 KB
ID:	196133  
Old 02-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #112

Thank you for the responses and info. Next time I’m out with the RV I will definitely check my awning out more thoroughly 🙂
Jeanne983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:15 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I agree that the manual awnings are stronger...

But the ease of opening and closing the electric awnings, despite the wimpiness of them, is priceless!

I AGREE... so nice to just push a button. Came in VERY HANDY last summer when we had a tire going flat.... was able to put the awning out so the DH was in the shade while changing the tire.

Debbie
jdstrubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:29 PM   #114

I love that our awning covers both the dining area window and the bedroom window. Sometimes it is nice to just leave the windows open and not run the air. The windows on the back side are the pop outs. If it is not raining hard or blowing, we can leave them open. But we don't have a slide to take up most of the awning.
bhunt2405 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, forester