Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
How did we go from Can I Use My Awning In The Rain to being destroyed in a thunderstorm?
In my part of the country it often rains during a thunderstorm. Perhaps not where you are.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #22

WOW!
Old 01-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #23

I roll mine out June 1st. Drop one corner lower that the other making sure the door will clear. I tie it down to the deck. I roll it up OCT. 1st and go home.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #24

Good advice all around. Light rain should not be a problem as long as you lower one side to allow the rainwater to drain. Wind gusts are a bigger problem. While camping in the Los Angeles National Park Campgrounds a few years ago, a sudden gust of wind came up the Valley to our campsite at Heart Bar, and flipped our entire awning canopy over the top of our TT. I had already pl
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #25

Heavy rain...

For close to 10 years I never had a problem.
But a one day under HEAVY rain more water was accumulating than running off and a pool was forming on my awning and cause one of the arms to brake.
The awning was 19' long and that did not help. I took more than a week to get it fix. Good thing we were there for two weeks on a summer vacation. This was at Cocoa Beach in FL. Glad it was fixed there and then because I had no way to bring home a 19' awning with me.
Now when it rains hard I roll it up....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning 1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	195368   Click image for larger version

Name:	awning 2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	195369   Click image for larger version

Name:	awning 3.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	195370  
Old 01-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #26

Many of us have added legs to our awnings, and then tie them down, you can leave your awning up most all of a time, unless there is going to be very heave winds !!!
Search Awning Poles !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #27

Have them and they work great!
Old 01-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #28

Drive around any camp ground and note many of the awnings/canopies are tilted down. Looks Appalachian but isn't, just experienced campers. I've never yet been in wind/rain so severe that retracting the canopy was necessary but have dropped one corner significantly. Maybe I'm just weather-lucky but from the number of times I've set up in the rain that's unlikely.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #29
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Drive around any camp ground and note many of the awnings/canopies are tilted down. Looks Appalachian but isn't, just experienced campers. I've never yet been in wind/rain so severe that retracting the canopy was necessary but have dropped one corner significantly. Maybe I'm just weather-lucky but from the number of times I've set up in the rain that's unlikely.

-- Chuck
You are just weather lucky...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
You are just weather lucky...

While on the subject of awnings, I'd like y'alls input.

I have an 18 foot Solera electric self-dumping awning. There isn't any way to keep one end tilted for water runoff like the non-electric I had previously. I can tilt it but the slightest breeze will readjust it.

I purchased a set of spring loaded, screw-into-the ground tie downs but then read they should not be used on my type of awning because while they will keep the awning from being forced any further upward, they will not stop it from continously moving downward and popping back up.

Presently we only use it for blocking the sun in dead calm weather.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #31

[QUOTE

Presently we only use it for blocking the sun in dead calm weather.[/QUOTE]

Right, ours is electric also but not self-dumping so no way to lower one side. Therefore, only use to block the sun.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubelle View Post
[QUOTE

Presently we only use it for blocking the sun in dead calm weather.

Right, ours is electric also but not self-dumping so no way to lower one side. Therefore, only use to block the sun.[/QUOTE]What make and model of electric awning do you have?
Our Dometic 9100 doesn't have the self-dumping feature but we can lower either end.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #33

Kirk S, you may bet more responses if you start a new topic rather than use this one.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #34
waybeck2018

We lost an awning when a torrential rain came in at 3:27 AM. one morning. What a noise it made when it buckled. Fortunately friends helped get it rolled back up for transport to the dealer. Insurance paid the whole thing. Now, if rain is anywhere in the forecast we bring it in!
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #35
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Right, ours is electric also but not self-dumping so no way to lower one side. Therefore, only use to block the sun.
What make and model of electric awning do you have?
Our Dometic 9100 doesn't have the self-dumping feature but we can lower either end.[/QUOTE]

Do you have the 9000 manual or the 9100 power awning? The 9100 has 2 gas shocks like the ones on many car rear hatches. One of the features of the Dometic 9100 is the ability to self dump when the weight of the water overcomes the gas shocks ability to hold it up.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #36

I always worried about the rain with our first awning on our then new trailer (first trailer had no awning) and was very careful to always roll it up if it looked like it even might rain, but, I was not experienced about the sun! It was only like our 4th time out with the trailer and the weather was warm and sunny with no wind. So, I didn't tilt the awning and we left for a couple of hours to explore the area. Well, the A/C was percolating along very well and the trailer was tilted slightly to the awning side (just enough) and the water condensate from the A/C was running onto the awning from the roof of the trailer. Apparently, the natural tilt was not enough. After a couple hours the condensate had created a very large bulge right in the center of the awning (as I recall, it was about a 20-22 ft. one), with about a half a bathtub worth of water straining on the awning. We were very surprised when we came back to find it (sun was still shining brightly) and, even though we dumped the water and somehow the awning had not come out of its mountings, we had that "bulging" reminder for the entire rest of the 20+ years we had the trailer. Our new trailer has the self-dumping electric awnings, but, I still always put one side down unless I am there to watch it - lesson learned. It's not just rain and wind that can cause a problem.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #37
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

The self-dumping awnings ain't all they are cracked up to be.

Mine self-dumped itself and the awning arm came down on the top of the entrance door...

Bent the arm and ripped it right off the side of my 5'ver.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:10 PM   #38

I hate self dumping awnings. Was visiting neighbor during moderate rain (been raining 40+ hours) and we were standing around under the self dumping awning. I started to go back to my RV and put my umbrella overhead. Took two steps, which placed me directly under the edge of the awning. Yep, it decided to dump the accumulated 14,000 gallons of water .

Believe me when I say a normal umbrella is no match for an awning dump.

Oh, did I mention I hate self dumping awnings.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:11 AM   #39
Just as confused as you

I normally lower the end away from the door just enough for the water to continuously run off. But the first time I didn't set the awning at an angle in a rain storm it surprised the crap out of both of us. It was dark, we were inside and a sudden shower came up. I actually didn't think it was raining that hard and didn't think much about it until the thump and swoosh of the water dumping off.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I hate self dumping awnings. Was visiting neighbor during moderate rain (been raining 40+ hours) and we were standing around under the self dumping awning. I started to go back to my RV and put my umbrella overhead. Took two steps, which placed me directly under the edge of the awning. Yep, it decided to dump the accumulated 14,000 gallons of water .

Believe me when I say a normal umbrella is no match for an awning dump.

Oh, did I mention I hate self dumping awnings.
Sounds like they’re not too fond of you either!
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, forester