Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #31

I've got a Coachmen Prism, with the usual "cheap-o" locking compartments. I bought drawer locks at Home Despot for $5.47/Ea, and I was able to paw through their available stock to get 7 that had the same key number. The outdoor shower and water fill doors are even cheaper (what else) and have an intergrated CH751 lock, so I'll have to just deal with a separate key for those two.
It just goes back to the penny-pinching that goes on at the RV manufacturers, where they could care less on how anything works as long as they can sell their crap and pay unskilled labor.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #32

Added 3 digit combo locks to each door...left 751 locks in place......Campers do not steal from campers!!!!!!! No place to put the stuff!!!!..I seldom lock my storage doors at a CG.....Only if I am away for a period of time!!!!!!!!!!!!..J

Old 01-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #33
peaceparson

Our PUP's outside storage compartments have padlockable latches in addition to keyed cylinders. We bought a set of padlocks keyed alike and use them to secure the trailer and storage.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #34

Look on Ebay or Amazon for Combi-Cam locks. I have been using them for several years and love them. NO KEYS! Just make sure you remove one of you present locks to get the correct length as some doors vary in thickness. You can also get rubber covers to keep out rain.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #35
jkoenig24

My Dynamax DX3 came with TriMark locks on the storage bays. Although different from 751 cylinders, I did see that extra TriMark locks with the same key number as I had, were available at a local RV shop. I contacted TriMark and, for less than $60 delivered, got twelve new keyed alike lock cylinders, six keys and the special key needed to pull the original cylinders. Changing all twelve lock cylinders took about ten minutes. The gent I spoke to at TriMark was very helpful.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #36

I'll keep my 751s no worries ....no theft in 30 years....... The only place I would be the least concerned is at a storage lot or parking lot.......... Don't have anything worth stealing anyway. I don't lock the compartments or doors when in a campground........

Don't forget if you have a golf car they are mostly keyed alike also !!!!!! Does not bother me in the least..........................

Would rather have my junk stolen than my compartment doors ruined.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Old 01-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #37

All done, installed 7 cam locks that are not CH751. Good enough, as others have mentioned I'd rather have them use a key than break the compartment door. Who is going to sit there using 200 keys trying to open a lock and not sure if any will work? To obvious!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #38

I purchased a second trailer to leave on the west coast. The door key for the Pioneer will unlock the Windjammer. There are only so many different combinations for locks. Your door key will open thousands of other RV's. The same goes with the key for your home. There is a about 350 different combinations for door locks. So if you live in a new subdivision that has 500 or more new homes, your house key could open one or even 10 different homes. So just by changing your locks does not mean that another key will not open it. It just means that not every key will not open your lock.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #39

Keys and locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Went by a booth in the Big Tent in Quartzsite and saw ALERT, if you have the CH751 key, so does everyone else! They were selling the cylinder round keyed for for $14.00 each. Only problem I saw was you can't remove the key unless it's locked. So if you wanted to open multiple compartments, you would have to leave the key in it and use another key or open it and lock it open and hanging.
The other cam locks I saw online were sold in 4 packs keyed alike. I need 7 altogether and I don't think you can get them keyed alike. I did see in a review that someone did get multiple packs keyed alike not requesting such. And another review said his buddy bought the locks and his key opens his friends. Makes you wonder how many different keys sets they use?
As for rekeying my existing locks, my local locksmith says I would have to bring them in to see if they can be rekeyed. He says he get $20 a lock. What! that's crazy.
There must be a cheaper more secure solution. Idid see some combo locks at a reasonable price of $12 each. But with my eyesight, I would have to bend down and have my reading glasses on.
I have too much stuff of value to leave it unsecured like that. Portable solar suitcase, tools, sports equipment etc.
Suggestions?
I've re-keyed my locks every time I've purchased a different trailer. Save money...go to Home Depot or Lowes and find two-four packs that have the same keys. Much, MUCH less expensive than going to locksmiths.

Oooops! I see now that somebody has already mentioned this.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
I've re-keyed my locks every time I've purchased a different trailer. Save money...go to Home Depot or Lowes and find two-four packs that have the same keys. Much, MUCH less expensive than going to locksmiths.

Oooops! I see now that somebody has already mentioned this.
That's exactly what I did and got 6 keyed alike. Have 12 keys!

Closed Thread