Old 12-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

Chassis and coach batteries

Hi. I have a battery question I would respectfully like some help with. Have a 2018 Forest River Forester MBS. Storing it in a temperature controlled facility for the winter. I do not have a trickle battery charger. I thought I could just run the MB chassis engine every month for 30 minutes to keep batteries in good shape.

Here are my questions:
1-how long should I run the engine every 30 days to charge the chassis battery?
2-does running the engine also charge the coach batteries? Through the converter?
3-if so, will that charge the coach batteries sufficiently? Is 30 minutes of engine run time enough for the coach batteries every 30 days?
4-while running my engine the coach and the chassis batteries both read 13.80 volts. After I turned off the engine, both voltages went down to about 12.45 volts. Is that enough to keep it stored for another 30 days? Should I run my engine longer?

Thank you all for the help.

fritzteuscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzteuscher View Post
Hi. I have a battery question I would respectfully like some help with. Have a 2018 Forest River Forester MBS. Storing it in a temperature controlled facility for the winter. I do not have a trickle battery charger. I thought I could just run the MB chassis engine every month for 30 minutes to keep batteries in good shape.

Here are my questions:
1-how long should I run the engine every 30 days to charge the chassis battery?
2-does running the engine also charge the coach batteries? Through the converter?
3-if so, will that charge the coach batteries sufficiently? Is 30 minutes of engine run time enough for the coach batteries every 30 days?
4-while running my engine the coach and the chassis batteries both read 13.80 volts. After I turned off the engine, both voltages went down to about 12.45 volts. Is that enough to keep it stored for another 30 days? Should I run my engine longer?

Thank you all for the help.
Can you use an adapter and plug your coach in. I have found it keeps all batteries charged.

ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
2012 Solera

I hesitate to run our Sprinter to charge the batteries. Believe there are potential (expensive) issues with the exhaust system (EGR valve, EGR cooler, dual catalytic conversion system, diesel particulate filter, etc.). Try not to run mine without driving it 30 or 40 miles.
If you can’t plug it in, maybe run the generator?
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:31 PM   #4

Yes. I think I will try that. There are outlets for use in our storage facility I just need to find the right trickle charger.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
I hesitate to run our Sprinter to charge the batteries. Believe there are potential (expensive) issues with the exhaust system (EGR valve, EGR cooler, dual catalytic conversion system, diesel particulate filter, etc.). Try not to run mine without driving it 30 or 40 miles.
If you can’t plug it in, maybe run the generator?
Wow. I have never heard of any of those issues. You have given me something to research and think about. Do you recommend plugging in both the chassis battery and the coach/house batteries?
Old 12-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
2012 Solera

On our 2012, the converter seems to charge both the house and the chassis batteries.
I have a 100 watt solar panel with a PWM controller connected to my house batteries. I turn the house battery switch “off” when I store. The solar seems to keep both the house and the chassis batteries fully charged.
I’m in California on the coast, so climate is easier on the batteries than in many other places.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #7
2012 Solera

Here is one thread with comments related to Sprinter idling:
MBS engine during winter

FYI
Jim
Old 12-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #8

Quote:
On our 2012, the converter seems to charge both the house and the chassis batteries.
I have a 100 watt solar panel with a PWM controller connected to my house batteries. I turn the house battery switch off when I store. The solar seems to keep both the house and the chassis batteries fully charged.
Im in California on the coast, so climate is easier on the batteries than in many other places.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I have one question. If you connect the solar panel to the house batteries with the disconnect switch set to off, how does electrical power (energy) get to the chassis battery? I thought the disconnect switch would prevent that if it is turned off.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Here is one thread with comments related to Sprinter idling:
MBS engine during winter

FYI
Jim

Thanks!!!
Old 12-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #10
2012 Solera

On our 2012, the Battery Control Center is under a plate held on with thumb screws on the left panel of the stair well. The BCC is connected directly to the house batteries ahead of the house main power switch, and, as I understand, includes relays which allow bidirectional house/chassis charging under appropriate conditions. Also contains fused and circuit breaker connections to other items which work when the house main switch is “off”. This circuitry, as I understand, allows my solar panel to charge both the house and chassis batteries.
Of note, again on my 2012 unit, if the house disconnect switch is “off”, the converter is disconnected from the batteries. I believe Forest River changed this on later models, connecting the converter to the batteries independent of the house disconnect switch.

Tags
batteries