Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #1

Cheap Couch, Anyone Else?

The cheap couch in our new unit, which has only seen a few trips, has failed in two ways.

One, on the first trip my sister-in-law was sitting by herself in the middle position of the couch buckled. After a day of traveling I noticed the bottom cushion had a "bend" in it. I looked to the underside and the thin tube that supports the entire couch bottom had bent slightly. Now, I'd be first to poke fun at my SIL but she is hardly a big girl in relation to most woman out there. The entire 5' span of couch is supported by a single thin piece of metal tubing in back and one upfront.

Second, the stitching on the rear of the couch that ties the leather and the backer (some cheap fabric) together is coming undone. I have called FR and they have contacted Williamsburg Furniture for me. I have a few issues with this, FR chose the furniture - not me. I want FR to correct the issue not channel me through Williamsburg where I have to re-explain my issues.

I can't believe on a 100K motorhome you get this kind of junk for furniture. I sincerely hope FR/Williamsburg come through on this but I already get the feeling that FR is pointing the finger at Williamsburg and it's my hassle to fight...Not exactly a warm fuzzy feeling given the fact I've fixed many of the factory defects myself, some minor so not so minor. My previous Crossroads they took care of all claims regardless of who the product manufacturer was.

Has anyone else had issues with this couch?
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #2

Don't know who made my couch, it's not leather so not the same unit, but it looks like the kind I've seen in many motorhomes. It really sucks, it hasn't exactly "failed" but the cushions on it are made of such cheap foam that they compress to nothing when sat on, and the steel bars for the pull out couch part are pretty flimsy, and don't "look right".
This is a used unit but has been well cared for in every way I can see. I think these guys just put stuff that is compact and versatile but leave out quality when it comes to furniture. It is very sad given the cost of these units new or used, our investment is large and our expectations are reasonable in my experience. Cheap stuff isn't "good enough" Other parts of my unit seem to be really well done though. I hope FR gives you good customer service on this issue, keep us posted.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #3

I agree, the rest of the camper has a great Serta sleeper mattress, the chasis is great, the cabinets are good quality, and the colors are very nice.

Right now the bane of my existance is the couch. LOL.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #4

My Forester 3121ds had the poorest excuse for a sofa ever. It is not made for comfort or quality. It just fills a void. I took it out a month after buying the rv and bought a lazy boy swivel, rocker, recliner in leather for $600 and the delivery men put it in the rv. All I had to do is bolt it to the floor. Before bolting, it was like riding in a bumper car going down the road. The sofa sits in my store room. Anyone interested in it can have it.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

Sorry to hear about your issue with the couch, but don't think for a minute that FR pointing you to the mfg of the couch is something only they do. Our last TT made by Sunnybrooke RV had a couch issue and the dealer had to get warranty authorization from the couch mfg not Sunnybrooke to get it repaired. It is the RV industry as a whole that works like this. Had you taken your RV to your dealer they would have had to go through the Sofa mfg as well but would have saved you the trouble. people need to remember the RV industry is nothing like the automible industry, having a good dealer is one of the best things you can have when you own an RV as they will do all the leg work required to tie all the 3rd party companies together and make sure your experience is a good one.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #6

Things must be improving, as the couch in our Flagstaff is very comfortable and we have had no quality issues with it. I expected the worst, but was pleasantly surpised.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #7

couch in my 2011 wildcat 31ts is a pile of junk too, not happy with the air mattress. some seams in the fabric are pulling lose also, yhe armrest on the sides have a very thin layer of cardboard in them and they bow down with the slightest presure. yes, we have been shoping for a new sofa
Denny in Los Lunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Just to chime in, RV's are not quite like cars, but more like houses. If the fridge in your house fails...you call the fridge guy, not the house builder, even if he put the fridge in. FR does not make furniture...please don't consider it as passing the buck, rather putting you in touch with the people that know the furniture best.

If you did not contact Williamsburg directly, then you call FR, they take your info and pass it to Williamsburg. Williamsburg asks questions to FR, then FR asks the questions to you, then you reply to FR and they answer Williamsburg...so on and so forth.

It's always better to deal directly with the mfg of the compenant so that nothing is lost in the translation.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Just to chime in, RV's are not quite like cars, but more like houses. If the fridge in your house fails...you call the fridge guy, not the house builder, even if he put the fridge in. FR does not make furniture...please don't consider it as passing the buck, rather putting you in touch with the people that know the furniture best.

If you did not contact Williamsburg directly, then you call FR, they take your info and pass it to Williamsburg. Williamsburg asks questions to FR, then FR asks the questions to you, then you reply to FR and they answer Williamsburg...so on and so forth.

It's always better to deal directly with the mfg of the compenant so that nothing is lost in the translation.
Agreed, the manufacturer does not build the furniture but its up to them to pick the quality of the furnishings.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #10

"the manufacturer does not build the furniture but its up to them to pick the quality of the furnishings"
-----------------------------------------------
It is all a matter of cost. They won't put expensive furniture in an inexpensive camper, and anyone buying an inexpensive camper would probably not want to pay for expensive furniture.
Its too bad we can't get a camper with no furniture, and buy what we want. But I am sure they would not drop the price as much as we pay for the existing stuff. We paid an extra $500 for the Lazyboy leather recliners, although they are pretty darn nice!
But overall, I have zero complaints.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"the manufacturer does not build the furniture but its up to them to pick the quality of the furnishings"
-----------------------------------------------
It is all a matter of cost. They won't put expensive furniture in an inexpensive camper, and anyone buying an inexpensive camper would probably not want to pay for expensive furniture.
Its too bad we can't get a camper with no furniture, and buy what we want. But I am sure they would not drop the price as much as we pay for the existing stuff. We paid an extra $500 for the Lazyboy leather recliners, although they are pretty darn nice!
But overall, I have zero complaints.
I agree, but my C+ had a sticker of 166,000 for that amount I would think decent furniture would be expected
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #12

No offense, but I bought a Forest River product. The company chose the couch, not me. To pawn me off onto the couch manufacturer is a comp-out on the part of FR. Here it is MONTHS later and I finally got a new cover. It's the wrong color....

So here I am, start all over again. I have actually priced out a replacement couch to rip this POS out.... The furnishings and fabric in this camper are CHEAP compared to my Cruiser and a previous Sunnybrook.

I'm pretty easy to please, so take my displeasure as a sign that others have the same thoughts/feelings.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #13

You're right about cheap furniture. If the quality is not good; you're not getting the satisfaction. What's the next step? Replace it to your satisfaction. We purchased a 32 ft DSF - 2011 Forest River Forester & have had it over a year. As we traveled in it, we realized that our couch or dinette area were not the most comfortable places to sit to watch TV, read or just relax. We needed to do something; so, we researched & found who could help us, (Route 66 RV in Buena Park, CA). They designed the perfect thing--replaced the cheap, uncomfortable couch with two leather Euro recliners w/ottomans. We're traveling in better comfort now.
danyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #14

Just to note, the late 2012 and all 2013 have a more significant couch that is similar to a residential unit. Our 2011 unit had the cover replaced but is still nothing short of cheap. However, kudos to FR for knowing it needed to correct this issue and doing so in newer models.