Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #1

Chevy engine lemon and a hostile dealer

Looking for some advice from owners with the Chevy engine and from people who have dealt with a hostile dealer. My son just bought his first RV and on my recommendation of Forrest River he bought a Forester LE on a Chevy chassis.

In the last four weeks he's made three trips and four times the Chevy engine would not start. The batteries and starter are fine. He's spent nearly three thousand dollars getting mobile repair service while camping and for getting towed back to the dealer twice. The dealer, Mike Thompson RV, has not reimbursed him for these extreme costs with a brand new rig. The dealer says it's a Chevy engine control computer software glitch. A Chevy tech was called in and he "reset" the engine software so the problem was supposedly "fixed". But on the first trip after it was "fixed", engine again wouldn't start in Arizona. That engine failure resulted in a $2,500 towing bill back to the dealer in southern California.

Like me, he's worked with computers, wiring, and software in aircraft so he's very knowledge that intermittent software/electrical gremlins are nearly impossible to trace down and fix. He not longer trusts that specific rig and wants to return the defective vehicle. After the dealer Sales Manger said they do not do returns, my son indicated that he so unhappy with the defective vehicle that he spoke with an attorney about possibly of using the "lemon law" return option. Rather than talk about how to professionally resolve the problem, the dealer just hung up.

I recommend that my son call Forest River and inform them about the defective Chevy engine and about the rude, disrespectful and hostile attitude displayed by the Mike Thompson RV Sales Manager.

Any suggestions/recommendations about the defective Chevy engine and about how to deal with a hostile dealer?

Old 04-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #2

Bypass the dealer. They're just selling the RVs, not making them. It really isn't "their" problem. You would have the same issue if you simply had a Chevy truck with same issues. Should they help you, yes. Do they have to, no. The problem lays at the feet of the manufacturer. Call them, see what they're willing to do, and if you're not satisfied, get ready for a long drawn out court battle for the lemon law.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #3

My guess would be there is a glitch in the coach to chassis wiring. I would look at ignition cutoffs for things like slides and awnings and the charging system linked from the vehicle alternator to the coach. That is probably where the problem lies.
That would be the fault of the RV builder and may fall under the perview of the lemon laws for the RV dealer. (I agree Mike Thompson sucks...real bad).

If the GM tech says everything appears ok with the chassis systems, I would be interested in if there were any codes stored? Or is this just a starting issue? Possible with one of the coach systems tied to the vehicle startup- that is where I would look if the latter.

Now I did see where you stated it was the Chevy ECM. Was that changed? Or just reset. Might just need a new ECM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

Lemon laws don't apply to RV's. This is a GM issue and you should be taking it up with them under your GM warranty.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Old 04-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #5

Geeze why would you spend one dollar towing it to an RV dealer and not to the nearest Chevrolet truck dealer? Thats just plane stupid. Sorry to be so blunt, but the problem is neither the RV dealers not Forest Rivers peoblem. It is totally a General Motors issue, and it needs to go there to be fixed.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
My guess would be there is a glitch in the coach to chassis wiring. I would look at ignition cutoffs for things like slides and awnings and the charging system linked from the vehicle alternator to the coach. That is probably where the problem lies.
That would be the fault of the RV builder and may fall under the perview of the lemon laws for the RV dealer. (I agree Mike Thompson sucks...real bad).

If the GM tech says everything appears ok with the chassis systems, I would be interested in if there were any codes stored? Or is this just a starting issue? Possible with one of the coach systems tied to the vehicle startup- that is where I would look if the latter.

Now I did see where you stated it was the Chevy ECM. Was that changed? Or just reset. Might just need a new ECM.

I agree with the above FIRST! Once and IF the coach's safety mechanisms can be ruled out as the intermittant problem and being completely operational every time, then I would take it up with a GM dealer.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #7

As a GM technician that has done this for longer than I want to say I would like to know, when you say it won't start, does the engine turn over, or no starter input? What engine? What kind of safety switches did the RV manufacturer install? My bet is with FR, but a little more info would help.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Lemon laws don't apply to RV's. This is a GM issue and you should be taking it up with them under your GM warranty.
I think they might apply to the motor part of a motor home but not the rest of the camper.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 04-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #9

Lemon Laws vary from state to state. But I did not see if this was a new coach or not and what the MY is and “in service” date. All important factors.
As for the dealer, the second you said the L word, any chance of them trying to help went out the proverbial window.
Best advice I can give is; Keep all records/documents. Make records of conversation for any phone calls. Log names, time and date for each. Don’t embelish, dramatize or threaten anyone with anything. Trust, but verify everything. Educate yourself on the statutes that are applicable. Keep cool and focus on the goal, a reliable camper.
Hope this helps.
Ducky
Old 04-06-2018, 11:42 PM   #10
2012 Solera

I had excellent luck with the California Bureau of Automotive Repair. I used their on-line form to start the process. Motorhome engine repair problem.
(Better Business Bureau was useless.)
Old 04-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #11

Can't say for sure on your model of motorhome but on ours. The safety interlocks for slides and such, are not connected in any way that would stop you from starting the engine. The engine most be running to use the ground Jack's for leveling. The engine most be shut off for the slides to operate. The engine most be off for the powered drop down bunk bed to operate. And for all of them the parking brake must be set.

None of the slides being out, coached levelers being down or bunk bed bring lowered has stopped me from starting the coach. It sounds more like a Chevy issue. Being spark or fuel related. Most likely a crank position sensor or wiring harness problem. That's if it's cranking over.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
Old 04-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #12

Hello all,
I am the son/victim in this case and appreciate dad for starting this and the comments thus far! Here’s a few comments & notes to conclude this....

First time RV owners and bought a brand new 2018 Forester class C on a 4500 Chevy Express chassis; took delivery on 3/15 and by 3/30, had 3 breakdowns, two “repairs” for the same non-starting engine problem, and two tows that we had to pay for because roadside can’t help if you call “after hours” or if you are too “remote.” Stated problem is engine software /firmware correction and appreciate all the fault isolation suggestions, but really not interested to see if the third is the charm because I have seen how difficult these electro-software issues are to resolve and not interested in road testing it again to find out (hope is not a strategy!).

Lemon laws do in fact apply to RV’s - verified from talking (talking only, not retained, not proceeding, educational only) to an attorney. And as Duck noted, soon as I said attorney at MTRV, got hung up on by the GM and they didn’t even get hear “talked only” as noted above or ask why it had gone so far as to have to do that. But not here to rant about their culture of customer service failure.

MTRV says it isn’t their problem and is now in lockdown . FR says it’s MTRV to work with Chevy. Anti theft company has said it’s not their system. Chevy has thus far said it’s MTRV because they modified the chassis with the anti theft, but still “evaluating.”

With no customer responsibility center, it seems Lemon Law is the only way out of this one. Too far gone to do anything else.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #13

Let us know how the Lemon Law works out for you.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Old 04-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et eT View Post
With no customer responsibility center, it seems Lemon Law is the only way out of this one. Too far gone to do anything else.
Dang Et eT, hate to hear about these problems you are having with all concerned, and hope it turns out the best it can for you at this time.

As you stated above, it's gone too far to do anything else.....which is also why we must close this thread.

This link below, especially posts #4 and #11 will clarify it, and you sound like you may already know as such.

why threads are shut down

If you do get satisfaction without having to go the legal route, and want to update this thread with such, feel free to contact me or any of the other site team so we can reopen this thread for you post the resolution.

Thanks and good luck.

BTW, welcome aboard to our forums, just wish it had been under better circumstances.

Geaux Tigers!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
dealer