Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #1

Class C 3051S Squeak Noise

We're new to M/H and have found our new 3051S to be quite noisy, especially when driving on rough / bumpy road surfaces. There were a lot of rattling noises from the window shades, which I fixed with small felt bumper pads. When driving on smooth roads, the coach is fairly quite. However, we still have a very loud squeak noise that seems to come from an area behind the driver seat, near the front of the slideout. I've been unable to feel any parts that are moving / rubbing, so it seems to be coming from inside the wall of the coach or behind the panel in the cab below the seat belt mechanism. I'm an auto engineer so I'm kind of tuned in to noises, but this one even bothers my wife! Has anyone had similar issue or suggestions for diagnosis / repair?
dcogs15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Other than turning the radio up louder. Maybe the rubber seals are sliding on something? Maybe a little silicone in that area (if you can narrow down the spot)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #3

I have a #3051S but don't have all the noise you are experiencing. If I need to drive on very rough or bumpy roads my speed limit is VERY SLOW. These are usually campgrounds or gravel roads. Sure there are seams on concrete interstates that I pass. But one should avoid roads that will damage your RV and destroy your wheel alignment.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

For about 2 mil, there is a coach builder that offers a lifetime squeak / rattle free motorhome. Other than that, our 3122 is way quieter than the high dollar tiffin we owned. I always had that envy in my head previous to owning one; they looked so quiet and comfortable from my view on the highway. Quite the contrary. They can be noisy, some more than others. My most irritating noises that were solved was the glass in the microwave and the stove top. My guess on yours is the schwintek slide mechanism behind your seat. The 2 schwinteks slides in my tiffin were quite aggravating, or noisy with the rattling, the other 2 HWH and LCI were quiet. They each have their own quirks. Fire up generator, turn up radio as Brian mentioned and enjoy the ride.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #5

DCogs15,
I too have a fairly rattle / squeak free 3051S. I do "baby" it when on the road. I'm usually no more than 65-68 on the Interstate, and speed limit everywhere else. When it comes to bumpy roads, I get way slow as I'm afraid of breaking something (I treat it as more fragile than a car / pick up truck).
Good luck with isolating and removing the noise. I've had problems in my cars (I do NOT like rattles or squeaks) and have had my wife drive so I could find them.
Damon
BiffF15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #6

We had the normal noises at first, learned to remove microwave table and the plastic ring. The stove top cover was gone first trip. The stove topper itself squeaked like crazy, when stopped at the factory they did "something" that stopped it. The stove top was never an issue after that. The last noise was the Dream Dinette mechanism. I adjusted a few pieces and the latch and it stopped.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #7

Just returned from weekend trip. This sqeak noise occurs whenever the M/H is driven on roads with tar strips, etc. (ie, most highways in Mich!). I lubed the slideout seals with silicone, with no benefit. After further diagnosis, the squeak definitely is coming from somewhere in the slideout (can hear it transmitted through the wall material). Source seems to be close to ear level of the driver! No evidence of any accessible parts that are moving / rubbing.
dcogs15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #8

dcpgs15,
Have you any resolve about the slide noise?
I am having the same noise and it also appears to be right at ear level. It sounds like a popping noise or two pieces of fiberglass rubbing together. The noise has been there since the beginning. When driving across country and back, some days the noise would not start until after noon time when temperature was up and driving on level roads. It definitely starts as soon as you get on bumpy roads or after you go up or down a hill or mountain or an overpass. The first thing I noticed is the front of the slide is out a 1/2" from the rear. I have talked with Schwintek and need to try and synchronize the system first. RV has been to two different shops for a total of six weeks to square slide and fix noise but to no avail. To synchronize slide you have to see controller light and where controller is located it needs to move it in order to see lights. I am not optimistic that this will fix problem.
I have a theory that it may be related to slide rollers. More to come on this.
Beachfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #9

try waxing the slides
phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #10

3051s sounds

I too have a 2014 3051s that has started to produce some strange sounds. Had one that was coming from slide just behind drivers head, turned out that the bottom five screws on the outside frame of the slide had striped out , factory fix was to drill new screws in between striped ones. Screws go through steel frame and into fiberglass so I am keeping a eye on them now.The fantasic fan is now rattling when driving down the road, have to work this out, driving me nuts!
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #11

Inspected my 3051S today and discovered the top inside seal had broken away from where it was attached at the rivets. Just goes to show you how important this forum is. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Now what to do to get it fixed!
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #12

3051s noises

Another place I found squeeks from is the micro oven mount bracket and oven rubbing on the wall. I also put pads behind the binds to keep them from rattening.As for the seal rivets, anyway you can get in there and re-rivet with washer backed rivets?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #13

Yes, I replaced the rivets and used a little 3M double sided automotive tape to bond the seal before replacing rivets.
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #14

We also have an awful squeaky noise that seems to come from inside the panel on the passenger side, right where the seatbelt hooks in. We are going to try to remove the panel and spray the hell out of whatever is inside with WD-40. Keeping fingers crossed. We expected noises, but not this bad.
2015 Coachmen Freelander 22QBF | 1980 Toyota truck toad

Stinkielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #15

You'll see posts from me on this topic as well. I get a very irritating rubbing sound from the slide motor right behind the driver seat. I've lubed the seals, tightened the outer slide screws, and now i put a screwdriver between the slide motor and the slide. On a 3500 mile trip that kept me from going insane. I'm trying to get a non-dealer repair shop to take a look since getting warranty service in Denver is ridiculous.

Tags
305, class c