Old 07-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #1

Class C Driving Experience?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if you could share your experiences driving a Class C? Are they hard to handle? Is the driving experience stressful? How does it change with towing a vehicle behind? Any insight would be appreciated. I currently have a popup and am considering a 3171ds! For context, the biggest they I've ever driven is a standard size UHaul which is never a pleasant experience.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420brady
Hi all,

I was just wondering if you could share your experiences driving a Class C? Are they hard to handle? Is the driving experience stressful? How does it change with towing a vehicle behind? Any insight would be appreciated. I currently have a popup and am considering a 3171ds! For context, the biggest they I've ever driven is a standard size UHaul which is never a pleasant experience.
Welcome to the forum!

Take one on a test drive and see if its for you.
I've driven truck and trailer for 19 years and with anything the more you do it the more comfortable you'll feel.
I really don't think you can compare a u haul to a class c with or without a toad.
So many different variables so little time.
Take it low and slow ...........

Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
GM

Throw the U-haul comparison out the window...read on. I work for Forest River. I have put quite a few miles on Class C's, through winds, through mountains at highway speeds. Recently I needed to drive a 15 passenger van from Indian to Florida. I thought no big deal, I drive Class C's all the time. This was a rental E350 van that had over 100,000 miles. It drove like a boat that was taking on water. My wife needed therapy after driving it for an hour.

As f1100turbo said...take one on a test drive. In my experience, those rental type cargo units are no comparison to a Class C that will never see 100,000 miles. Have no fear, if you make it through the U-Haul...a Class C will be a treat.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Same advice here. We started with a C and then went to an A and now have a 40 foot diesel pusher. As with any vehicle, be aware of your size and drive accordingly. The comparison to a U-Haul is now really an adequate comparison. My wife, who is rather petite, drove our C and each of the A's we've had including our current rig. If you are not comfortable driving the unit, then by all means don't purchase one. If you find that just using logic and sound driving techniques makes the experience fun, then start looking for a good C.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies! This may sound crazy, but I really consider a test drive as an option! I'll certainly do just that once we find something we like. Hopefully the dealer is amenable to us test driving.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
GM

Trust me...dealers are just fine with a test drive. It is a "buying" signal...so they should welcome it.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #7

We had a Class C before our trailer. We drove it in congested areas, tourist attractions, etc without any problem - just a little more planning on where exactly you are going since quick turns/U-turns are generally not an option. In my opinion, the driving experience is different than a car or small truck but not difficult once you get used to it and really the only thing that took some getting used to was the width.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #8

I am new to driving RVs and have only had a C for 3 months. Here is my impression so far. No wind equals drives like a dream. Tail wind equals drives like a dream and saves gas. Head wind equals add a little extra gas money to the budget but drives ok. Side wind equals pay attention. A strong side wind equals hold on with both hands with a goal of keeping it between the white lines. I did not always meet that goal. On our last trip we did 12 hours in a day. I was tired but not too bad. Just take your time.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
2013 Sunseeker 3170DS FD

C Class 31 feet exp.

Hi! As a first time owner of any camper and rv, I can say the class c FR 3120 ds is interesting.
1. On the interstate, keep checking the rear views for upcoming large vehicles from cargo vans and semis. When they pass, the rv catches a lot of air and gets (NASCAR term) aero-pushed. You have to be up on the wheel in tose times and high crosswind days. There is a lot of vehicle to catch the wind from any source. Alone in traffic, you can sit back and cruise as it almost drives itself. Worst blind spot is on entering the interstate from the ramps, other than that they are nearly non-existent.

2. City driving. We took it to a fireworks show in a downtown city. At slower speeds it drives like a large truck. Beware of the width of the roads because you only have a bit of room to move in befor crossing lanes. Turning was easy and doesn't require nearly the sweep to cut the corners as It thought.
3. I have o experience with towing, but the wife wants to change that.

At first, I was intimidated a bit, but didn't test drive. After a couple of trips, 1 an hour away, the other 5, I feel very comfortable driving the beast.
Down hills it will pick up speed rapidly, more so than I ever thought. But on the reverse side it really chugs to get up the interstate hills. ( southern Indiana/northern Kentucky.)
PS- Don't be in a hurry! And test drive !
Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #10

an easy tip to drive any vehical big or small is to look down the road further instead of 30 feet out look where you want to go aviod fixating on obsticals because people tend to steer where the are looking hope that helps