Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #1

Class C Driving Experience?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if you could share your experiences driving a Class C? Are they hard to handle? Is the driving experience stressful? How does it change with towing a vehicle behind? Any insight would be appreciated. I currently have a popup and am considering a 3171ds! For context, the biggest they I've ever driven is a standard size UHaul which is never a pleasant experience.
420brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420brady
Hi all,

I was just wondering if you could share your experiences driving a Class C? Are they hard to handle? Is the driving experience stressful? How does it change with towing a vehicle behind? Any insight would be appreciated. I currently have a popup and am considering a 3171ds! For context, the biggest they I've ever driven is a standard size UHaul which is never a pleasant experience.
Welcome to the forum!

Take one on a test drive and see if its for you.
I've driven truck and trailer for 19 years and with anything the more you do it the more comfortable you'll feel.
I really don't think you can compare a u haul to a class c with or without a toad.
So many different variables so little time.
Take it low and slow ...........
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Throw the U-haul comparison out the window...read on. I work for Forest River. I have put quite a few miles on Class C's, through winds, through mountains at highway speeds. Recently I needed to drive a 15 passenger van from Indian to Florida. I thought no big deal, I drive Class C's all the time. This was a rental E350 van that had over 100,000 miles. It drove like a boat that was taking on water. My wife needed therapy after driving it for an hour.

As f1100turbo said...take one on a test drive. In my experience, those rental type cargo units are no comparison to a Class C that will never see 100,000 miles. Have no fear, if you make it through the U-Haul...a Class C will be a treat.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Same advice here. We started with a C and then went to an A and now have a 40 foot diesel pusher. As with any vehicle, be aware of your size and drive accordingly. The comparison to a U-Haul is now really an adequate comparison. My wife, who is rather petite, drove our C and each of the A's we've had including our current rig. If you are not comfortable driving the unit, then by all means don't purchase one. If you find that just using logic and sound driving techniques makes the experience fun, then start looking for a good C.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies! This may sound crazy, but I really consider a test drive as an option! I'll certainly do just that once we find something we like. Hopefully the dealer is amenable to us test driving.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trust me...dealers are just fine with a test drive. It is a "buying" signal...so they should welcome it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #7

We had a Class C before our trailer. We drove it in congested areas, tourist attractions, etc without any problem - just a little more planning on where exactly you are going since quick turns/U-turns are generally not an option. In my opinion, the driving experience is different than a car or small truck but not difficult once you get used to it and really the only thing that took some getting used to was the width.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #8

I am new to driving RVs and have only had a C for 3 months. Here is my impression so far. No wind equals drives like a dream. Tail wind equals drives like a dream and saves gas. Head wind equals add a little extra gas money to the budget but drives ok. Side wind equals pay attention. A strong side wind equals hold on with both hands with a goal of keeping it between the white lines. I did not always meet that goal. On our last trip we did 12 hours in a day. I was tired but not too bad. Just take your time.
Vasvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
2013 Sunseeker 3170DS FD

C Class 31 feet exp.

Hi! As a first time owner of any camper and rv, I can say the class c FR 3120 ds is interesting.
1. On the interstate, keep checking the rear views for upcoming large vehicles from cargo vans and semis. When they pass, the rv catches a lot of air and gets (NASCAR term) aero-pushed. You have to be up on the wheel in tose times and high crosswind days. There is a lot of vehicle to catch the wind from any source. Alone in traffic, you can sit back and cruise as it almost drives itself. Worst blind spot is on entering the interstate from the ramps, other than that they are nearly non-existent.

2. City driving. We took it to a fireworks show in a downtown city. At slower speeds it drives like a large truck. Beware of the width of the roads because you only have a bit of room to move in befor crossing lanes. Turning was easy and doesn't require nearly the sweep to cut the corners as It thought.
3. I have o experience with towing, but the wife wants to change that.

At first, I was intimidated a bit, but didn't test drive. After a couple of trips, 1 an hour away, the other 5, I feel very comfortable driving the beast.
Down hills it will pick up speed rapidly, more so than I ever thought. But on the reverse side it really chugs to get up the interstate hills. ( southern Indiana/northern Kentucky.)
PS- Don't be in a hurry! And test drive !
Swing Dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:04 AM   #10

an easy tip to drive any vehical big or small is to look down the road further instead of 30 feet out look where you want to go aviod fixating on obsticals because people tend to steer where the are looking hope that helps
vortecmax 8311ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortecmax 8311ss
an easy tip to drive any vehical big or small is to look down the road further instead of 30 feet out look where you want to go aviod fixating on obsticals because people tend to steer where the are looking hope that helps
I know this from riding motorcycles! Great advice, thanks!

Thanks to all for the replies!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #12

I'll add my experiences, too. I'm a highly skilled driver - but not of trucks or RVs. We just purchased a Forester 3011DS and the first place I ended up with it was a Safeway parking lot. As others have suggested, the Class C actually handles rather well for a large-ish rig. Semi-wide turns for sure.

Someone mentioned blind spots. We have a set of split mirrors and the only problem I've had was on the first drive home with a merge on my right. My bottom right mirror was not "out" enough to see all of the merging vehicles. A small adjustment and I now have no blind spots at all. Check all your mirrors regularly. Use your rear camera to watch your tow or hitch-mounted equipment (bikes in our case). Backing up is a breeze with careful use of mirrors and camera - even without assistance. I've now been in and out of quite a few tight spots.

Wind and rain: I spent three days driving in wind, and one in huge rain, all over mountain passes - steep ones - in southern British Columbia. Side wind, as someone mentioned is a "pay attention" time - - hard on the shoulders and work to hold it on the road well. You have a big profile and not much weight. Slowing down helps - a lot.

Hills at 6% or less are not an issue -- the rig stays pretty even at around 50 mph (80 kph) without use of brakes. A 7% grade starts to pick up speed. We did an 8km 8% grade that scared the crap out of me at least part of the time - in the wind and rain. Someone today (an ex-truck driver) suggested to me that I simply gear down for that kind of grade. Will try that next go-round.

Ditto for climbing hills: drop down to 3rd and stay there. Way easier than bumping up and down over your gears, and much easier to save gas. Drivers of standard transmission vehicles will understand.

The ride is surprisingly good, and in light wind conditions it's very comfortable. Easy to park in most places.

One warning: because of the long back overhang...watch out when going up short steep ramps (like at gas stations). It's relatively easy to scrape the back bottom of the coach (or mostly the bottom of the hitch). I've done that once. I'll be watching next time.

And mostly:

Our rig is a ton of fun to camp in!
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #13

Most people covered everything all ready, I will add that towing our 16 foot enclosed trailer actually makes it more stable in high winds. My first two modifications would be a Blue Ox steering stabilizer and air bags, it will make your driving experience a whole lot better.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #14

You all have covered a very good list, my post would certainly not be needed, but it will be cathartic for me.
I'm new to Motorhome driving. Ive just passed the 2k mile mark beyond the delivery miles of our sunseeker 2860. So far my "oh wow" learning moments have been that first, the back end needs lots of turn radius, one should be well beyond the steel and cement pillars protecting gas pumps before even beginning a turn, a motorhome bumper is no match for one. The lesson I learned the hard and expensive way is to watch the rear as well as the front in any turn. My next and certainly much less expensive lesson was about the air pressure of semi's passing. It has been mentioned before, but to me is one of the most uncomfortable parts of driving the motorhome. As a semi comes alongside there is enough of a push from the air pressure that I feel I must correct steering just a tiny bit. Then as the truck passes there is a slight vacuum created which again needs another opposite correction. I'm sure this will become second nature at some point but for now every semi catches my attention and I can't wait for them to get past. My final lesson, motorhomes are LOW to the ground and business driveways after a repave or two will have you dragging bottom. I now look at every entrance for the evidence of others leaving their "mark". There have been a couple gas stations and restaurants that didn't get my business because I didnt feel icould get through their dips.

One thing I would like to learn from all you experts is what was it like learning to drive with a toad? I can see that one will be in my future. So far I watch you all going down the road just fine, but what I have yet to see is how you all handle towing flat and then need to back up. Is there a lot of unhitching? How does a toad behave with turns and my worry above about rear sway, is towing hard on front tires?
Sportracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #15
Mostly lurker

I first started driving trucks about 60 years ago-semis, straight, dump, lowboys, belly dumps, fire engines and so forth. Driving a motor home is a little different, but yet most of same experiences apply.

A toad is always told where to go, especially in turns. A tight turn will force the toad in the opposite direction of the turn initially and then as the turn progresses will be forced the other direction. This is due to the long rear overhang. This is a little hard on the front tires since the sideways force will cause some scrubbing of the front tires of the toad. The front tires of mine lasted around 20-25,000 miles before needing replacement - two trips coast to coast and one to Alaska. Backing is problematic. Carefully done in a straight line at a VERY slow speed can be done for a short distance. If someone gets in the toad, starts the engine and holds the steering wheel can also be done in a pinch. These maneuvers should only be done in an emergency or semi-emergency. As a rule, always unhook before performing almost any backing maneuvers.

Otherwise, except for the camera allowing me to see that the thing is still there, I can't really tell much difference except for when semis pass. It helps some in maintaining stability.
davepcpowernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:37 AM   #16

I recently traded up from a 2007 24 ft Freelander on a Chevy chassis to a 2012 27 ft Forester on a Ford E-450. The steering was like going from a sports car to a boat. If a Chevy chassis is an option, definitely take a test drive.
oakprk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #17

I have a 29 foot class c sunseeker. The buffering from semi trailers is the hardest thing to get used to. I put 5000 on mine so far and I'm finally getting used to it. Because it is so wide compared to a car, you can't let your guard down, and must pay close attention at all times. Haven't tried towing yet, I bought a tow dolly and plan on using it soon. The wife hates to be stranded when we are camping!
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post

Hills at 6% or less are not an issue -- the rig stays pretty even at around 50 mph (80 kph) without use of brakes. A 7% grade starts to pick up speed. We did an 8km 8% grade that scared the crap out of me at least part of the time - in the wind and rain. Someone today (an ex-truck driver) suggested to me that I simply gear down for that kind of grade. Will try that next go-round.

One warning: because of the long back overhang...watch out when going up short steep ramps (like at gas stations). It's relatively easy to scrape the back bottom of the coach (or mostly the bottom of the hitch). I've done that once. I'll be watching next time.

And mostly:

Our rig is a ton of fun to camp in!
When going down a grade steep enough to accelerate, switch the tow mode on. With your foot off the gas it will downshift into 4th gear to slow you down.

Re. the rear overhang, if you have jacks the problem is even worse. Bigfoot mounts the jacks further back than they should be and they will easily hit when entering or exiting driveways. You need to do it at the largest possible angle.
oakprk is offline   Reply With Quote