Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #1

Comment for Forest River on 2691s Motorhomes

An observation for Forest River to consider on the design of the 2691(s) series of Motorhomes;

These units would be much more user friendly if FR would change to (or at least offer as option) a stovetop and 2-drawer combination (as done in the model 3051(s)) rather than the stovetop-oven combo they currently have. Most of the RVers we know (and I suspect multitudes of others) rarely, if ever, use the oven for anything other than cookware storage. The addition of a couple of kitchen drawers would be a huge improvement to this fairly compact model of motorhome.

If FR agrees, I would like to know how to get ours modified to this more optimum kitchen storage layout.

Thanks for your consideration on this issue.

Forestertraveler
forestertraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Always Learning

Bear in mind, posting here is good but we're just a fan-forum and there is no official relationship to Forest River. That said, we do have a handful of factory reps (which we incredibly appreciate!).
Old 10-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #3

Haha....on all the RVs we have ever had, we stash our bread items in the oven. About the only place in the RV that's not packed tight. Bread doesn't get squished in the oven. See, now there is a good reason for an oven.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #4

We use are oven regularly. Wouldn't want to camp without it.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #5

Not sure about a propane oven, but I must have a residential sized convection/microwave in my RV. That is how I bake/cook for 4-5 months in the summer.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
We use are oven regularly. Wouldn't want to camp without it.
X2

How else are ya gonna bake your biscuits?

As always; have oven, never use it. Don't have an oven - wish ya did.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #7

ependydad, thanks for the response, I'll see if I can find a direct link for comments to Forest River. Maybe one of the reps will pass the comment on to the correct people at Forest River, or offer me a good web address to send it to the right Forest River staff.

Bread box, hmm, that's an interesting use.........

Yep, the convection/microwave oven bakes even biscuits pretty good

Thanks for the great thoughts and discussion.

forestertraveler
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestertraveler View Post

Yep, the convection/microwave oven bakes even biscuits pretty good

Thanks for the great thoughts and discussion.

forestertraveler
Uh, not for me. Baking consist of slightly brown or golden crust. Our experience on baking with a microwave/convection oven was more of a tough white puck.
Tried changing pans, heat level, and even pre-rising the biscuits in a covered pan setting on a warm cooktop. Have given up and figured our kind of baking is not up to micro/convection
Old 10-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Always Learning

If you do use the oven, I've read lots of people are putting a pizza stone into the bottom of it and claiming it evens out the heat. I think others are using unglazed tiles for the same effect.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
Site Team

no matter what kind of RV we would get, we would always want a propane oven because we use ours.
but we rarely camp with electric hookups so a propane oven is very important.

it's been my observation on RV forums, about ovens, that the majority of RV'ers use their oven if they have one.
a simple pizza stone will turn one into a decent and usable oven.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
no matter what kind of RV we would get, we would always want a propane oven because we use ours.
I agree with Dan, RB, and others. We want a motorhome when the missus retires, and will not consider 1 without an gas oven.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
X2

How else are ya gonna bake your biscuits?
Cast iron dutch oven?

Quote:
As always; have oven, never use it. Don't have an oven - wish ya did.
I got one just no reason to use it , yet.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Cast iron dutch oven?

Is that an offer?

Not quite as fast as the 20 minutes in the oven, but I don't mind someone else getting up early to stir the coals and setup the Dutch oven and have ready the same time the coffee pot is done perking.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Not to put an end to this great debate, but we already offer that option. On ALL models now, you can option the convection microwave. The convection micro goes in place of the microwave and we delete the oven. You then get an extra pan drawer below.

As for the "oven versus convention debate". Might as well make it Republicans versus Democrats. Either party saying the other is stupid. lol.

At a show its about 50-50. People will walk in.

Person #1 "that oven is just stupid...the oven is worthless, I only use it for storage. Convection would be so much better"

Person #2 "OMG I'm so glad there is an oven. I would not buy one without. We dry camp a lot and the last thing I want to do is turn on the gen to cook. I also do a lot of baking and the convection just doesn't get it right."

As you can see...everyone is right. It's all in how you use it. We stopped trying to figure out the best scenario. There isn't one. So Option #305 is Convection instead of oven.

As for a retro fit. The convection is easy, they make them the same size as microwaves now...so that is a plug and play. If you're handy, you can take the oven out, and build another drawer to go there. Or buy a new motorhome. that's my suggestions

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #15

You're right! Which is why I stated "have oven, never use it. Don't have an oven - wish ya did".

I've had it both ways. I like the extra space without the oven but I like having the option of an oven more and as already mentioned, you can always store some stuff in the oven.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #16

Thanks for the follow-up bclemens. It's nice to know that Forest River is trying to accommodate both types of customers on this issue. It seems our dealer needed a better understanding of this issue. When we ordered our 2691s and we ask for only stove top and drawers instead of oven, we were told that Forest River would not modify the standard stove top/oven configuration on this model to get the drawers instead of oven

Guess a good carpenter and a small convection/micro are in order for us.

Thanks again for the great information
Old 10-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #17
Commercial Member

In the dealers defense, it is a recent option. Within the past few months. There was some confusion about where it would go...at one time they would all go below like the 3120/3121 and it was an "unwritten" option.

We then found an alternative to the micro and decided the storage drawers were the easiest to do so we made it a written option around September??? ish.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, motorhome