Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 08:52 PM   #1

Considering a 2018 Forester 3011DS

Any thoughts on this model? Options I should get - ie: couch vs recliners, frig size, front bunk vs storage and larger TV, 13.5 vs 15k AC etc.
madogkenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madogkenno View Post
Any thoughts on this model? Options I should get - ie: couch vs recliners, frig size, front bunk vs storage and larger TV, 13.5 vs 15k AC etc.
For the options I would recommend the 15K a/c with heat pump and Big Foot levelers. I also wish I had the stove top (no oven) with microwave/convection oven. Gives you additional drawer space. The refrigerator size and getting the bunk over the entertainment center would depend on the size of your family or extra travelers where it would require a larger refrigerator and more sleeping room. That would be a matter of your personal needs. If I had a choice between ordering the sofa or recliners, I think I would get the recliners, but that's my own personal preference.
1979 Tioga 25' bunkbed (first RV in 1992)
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #3

Mostly personal preference and what is best for you! We pick up our 3011DS this week and we ordered it with the 15000 btu AC w/ heat strip (we live in Fl, and need it), recliners ( just better for us, and I don't think I ever sat in a comfortable RV couch), larger four door refrigerator w/ ice maker ( thought of you can always store pantry items in refrigerator, but you can't store refrigerated items in pantry). We went with convection oven and no gas oven ( never used gas oven in our past two TTs and would prefer the extra storage). I do prefer the slick look of the non over head bunk, but if when the older kids show up they have a place to not only sleep, but to store items out of the way and off the floor while parked. Big foot levers yes, and outside TV ( carried one in and out in the past, no biggie but just more convenient if needed. Outside shower we used all the rime with the TTs so we opted for that also.

Again, it is what's best for you!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:08 AM   #4
Citrus County, Fl.

X2 on what Steeljag said. You will not regret the bigger refrigerator, so much more room for a weeks worth of groceries. The overhead bunk is a great storage area for when it is not being used as a bed. We store the dog beds up there and our containers for laundry.

Best 2 features of the 3011 are the viewing angle for the television and the counter space that does not compare to the other floor plans. If you don't need the extra sleeping room I would go for the recliners as the couch is very uncomfortable.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #5

Quote:

We own an early 2017 Forester 3011DS. We bought one off the lot with the options the dealer ordered. The only option that was a waste of money in our opinion is the front swivel seats. They are basically useless if you have legs. The cost would have been much better spent on a Fantastic vent fan with remote for the bedroom.
We have the recliners and do like them compared to RV sofas we have had in the past but do not compare to a residential recliner.
The big fridge would have been nice but you give up the pantry which is invaluable we have found. The auto lever lets are a must. The 15k
a/c with heat pump is a must. That barely keeps up in 90 degree weather we have found. The upgraded mattress is very comfy for a RV mattress but don't try lifting the bed often. Best storing items you don't use much under the bed. We have the over the cab bed that no one will ever sleep in but it is great for storage. If we had the entertainment center over the cab I have no doubt we would have neck ache watching tv. Our entertainment center is directly across from the recliners. Our oven will never get used so I thinking the convection microwave is the way to go. We don't have the outside TV and don't miss it.
The 3011 has tons of storage. Hope this helps.
bleese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
Citrus County, Fl.

We ordered ours and have the 4 door fridge. Twice the food storage and you can find other places to store what would go in the pantry.

We watch a lot of tv so the outside tv comes in handy

Get the full body paint, no decals to worry about, 3m protection and retains its value. Got the dealer to give it to us at his cost when choosing the deal

Keep the over cab bed, great for storage

Swivel seats are nice but get the power seat on the drivers side instead of swivel, especially if your DW will be driving

Theatre seats are much more comfortable if you don't need the extra sleeping area

Definitely the 15K heat pump and the auto levelers
99 Terry 31G
Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #7

Thank you for the information. Are you stating the 15k AC and heat pump is not adequate in high heat situations or it works well in these conditions?

Can you add a second AC in the bedroom?
madogkenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Thank you for the information. Are you stating the 15k AC and heat pump is not adequate in high heat situations or it works well in these conditions?

Can you add a second AC in the bedroom?
The 15k heat pump worked fine for us in mid 40's nights. The a/c ran most of the time in upper 90's Florida sun. I doubt a second a/c would be worth it in such a short unit.
bleese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
ETF

I agree with almost everything that everybody else has said. Get the recliners. The couch isn't very comfortable unless you are short. Medium or tall people will find it very uncomfortable after a short period of time.

The 4-door fridge is good for us but temperature control has always been problematic. I saw it when it was at the dealer for a repair and there is little or no insulation in it.

Our 3011 DS is about 5 years old now and really, the only bad thing I've found on it was the placement of the water filter. They may have changed it in the newer versions but on mine it was impossible the change the water filter. It was so bad that I bypassed it and removed it. I now use an external water filter.

Other than that we've been pleased with it. Oh, my one big regret is that I didn't have the automatic levelers installed when I bought it.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #10
Citrus County, Fl.

The only way to have a second a/c would be to put one in yourself with a seperate 30 cord. Not worth the trouble or the expense. I have the insulated cushions that go in the roof vents, make pieces of insulated board that go in the over cab windows, and have a roll of Reflectix I keep to put on the windows if needed. We do keep a piece in the back window and it makes a huge difference. The pull down shades really help (we were the guinea pigs for that and they are now standard)

We spent last July camping in Biloxi, MS and the A/C kept the temperature below 78 most of the time. This year I may get the windows tinted. As a lost resort you can buy a portable A/C for under $500 like this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008UHXLGA...D49DNZNX&psc=1

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions on any of this stuff
99 Terry 31G
Old 05-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #11

Having accidentally purchased the entertainment option for my new 2018 3010DS, I would say be real sure that's the configuration you want. The default install is to hard mount the TV to the wall without a swing arm or swivel at a 90 degree angle from the couch/recliner. This is a really awkward angle to try and watch tv from. If you do go with that option, I would ask for some kind of swing arm mount to be installed with a latch or safety strap.

Good luck on your purchase!

-TEH721
TEH721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
The only way to have a second a/c would be to put one in yourself with a seperate 30 cord. Not worth the trouble or the expense. I have the insulated cushions that go in the roof vents, make pieces of insulated board that go in the over cab windows, and have a roll of Reflectix I keep to put on the windows if needed. We do keep a piece in the back window and it makes a huge difference. The pull down shades really help (we were the guinea pigs for that and they are now standard)

We spent last July camping in Biloxi, MS and the A/C kept the temperature below 78 most of the time. This year I may get the windows tinted. As a lost resort you can buy a portable A/C for under $500 like this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008UHXLGA...D49DNZNX&psc=1

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions on any of this stuff

Did you go ahead with purchase? If so how did it work out. Thinking about getting one just as backup. Do you know what kind of amperage this one pulls. Wonder if you can run it and house AC at the same time off 30 amp service.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #13
Citrus County, Fl.

I am going to wait for the DW to complain before I buy one. Good question on the amp draw. I looked it up and it draws 1100 watts .... so .....with 120 volts it will draw 9.16, at 115 volts it would be 9.56 amps and at 110 volts would be 10 amps.

Here is a link to the owners manual

http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/...hose-white.pdf
99 Terry 31G
Old 06-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
I am going to wait for the DW to complain before I buy one. Good question on the amp draw. I looked it up and it draws 1100 watts .... so .....with 120 volts it will draw 9.16, at 115 volts it would be 9.56 amps and at 110 volts would be 10 amps.

Here is a link to the owners manual

http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/...hose-white.pdf
Thank you. I 'll probably wait and see how cold the wife wants on the next trip as well. Would still like to get one for backup. After one went down in Florida and the reliability of these units I'm a little gun shy.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester