Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #1

Considering a 3051S

We have been looking for a new motorhome lately, and one of our favorite floorplans is the 3051S. We like the entertainment center in the cab-over area rather than the bed since ours will be a "2-person-only" RV. One we saw had the 4 door refrig the other a 2 door. Either will work for us. One of my questions about the unit is the windows. I have seen forester's on the Sprinter chassis with the frameless windows (the ones that open out from the bottom), and we really like those. However, I haven't seen that as an option for the 3051. Does anyone know if the factory would do that if we ordered one rather than taking what the dealer has in stock? Also, should we be "worried" about the single, long slide? And like anyone else, I always am concerned with quality. We have a very good class c right now with excellent factory support, fit, and finish. However, the floorplan is not what we want. There are many thing I like about the 3051, but I would really appreciate input from owners on your satisfaction with the unit.
Thanks, Richard
RichardP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #2

I've owned Class C RVs for a very long time and own a 2013 3051S. The quality of build is second to none! Never had an issue with my windows and absolutely love the floor plan. My wife and I (along with our doggies) have traveled across the US and back again. I will say that my RV has had a few issues with things that FR had little to no control over but once contacted, the manufactures went out of their way to help me. As with any RV, I inspected my RV often and repair anything that needs fixed. I opted for a full body paint since I didn't want to deal with a white RV turning yellow after a couple of years. I wax my RV every spring, makes it easier to wash bugs off during cleaning. I also have added little things like a second slide awning anti-bellowing device to prevent the slide awning from unfolding while driving. I saw that FR was adding a second device on newer vehicles. I love the entertainment systems in the 3051s and added satellite Dish TV along with a WI FI range and Wilson cell phone repeater. I don't know if FR offers automatic suspension air bag control, I added this to my RV and love the maintenance free option. I just dial in my desired air pressure and it does the rest. The interior of my RV has held up nicely over the last 2 seasons with only a couple small issues like plastic door strap holder and cabinet door latches needing replacing but no big deal in the big scheme of things. I haven't had a TV or appliance failure to date and enjoy the nice features they offer while on the road. I did have some issues with my Cummins generator but this wasn't a FR issue and Cummins was all over it to make me happy. I did purchase an ESP plan through Wholesale Warranties and renewed my Coach Net to premium status. We are Good Sam Lifers but I wanted to customize these services to me my specific needs. I have seen a few of my online friends have issues with their full body slides but were taken care off once Brian (in this forum often and FR rep but does this on his own to help us) offered guidance, issues were resolved. My only complaint is finding a good FR service center. In my view, this makes or breaks my happiness with my very expensive purchase. As you well know, warranty repairs can become a nightmare but folks in this forum can direct you to a good FR service center.

Frank
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
Class C Representative

Thanks Franks Whether you have a full body paint or just the graphic design you won't have to worry about fading on the side of the coach because of the gel coat finish we use opposed to a polyurethane finish. The frameless windows can't be ordered on a 3051.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you for the response. Frank, it sounds like you are really enjoying yours. And, Joshua, I appreciate the info on the frameless windows. even though I really like them, it would not be a "deal breaker."

Richard
RichardP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

RichardP I have a 2014 3051s and really love it. We have/ had issues with the slide but Forest river has/is stepping up to address them.The ride is comfortable and lots of room for family of five and Black Lab dog. Would I buy one again? I think so!!!
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:20 AM   #6

Purchased our 2015 3051s at the Toronto rv show last fall and have used to for a trip to Florida in teh winter as well as the past 4 weekends. It is very comfortable and we have very minor issues that have been repaired by the dealer when return to park between trips. The vehicle handles very well at highway speeds and rides very nicely. We couldn't be happier.
naysmitj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #7

Hey Richard! We have a 2014 3051s and love it. We have put 22k miles on it in 1.5 years. I have only had minor issues that were easily fixable and not Forest River's fault. We love the expanded kitchen area, and that was the major selling point. Our grandkids love it and fight over the cab over bunk. Two words of note: My big issue is weight. I have to watch carefully what I carry. The unit weights out before it cubes out. I never travel with a full tank of gas or full fresh water tank. I typically put 20 gallons of gas in per stop and travel with 1/3 fresh water tank just to manage the weight issue. Second, our WONDERFUL 4 door fridge stopped working once on a trip when I parked the unit on an incline and left fridge running for 6 hours. Don't do that. Ha! We stopped and bought a big cooler and packed everything in ice for our remaining 2 week trip. On the way home, the fridge amazingly started working again and has been perfect for the last year. The icemaker and ample storage is great, especially for a DW who loves to cook and freeze our on the road food. I highly recommend the unit.
Rocket City Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #8

We were "almost" owners of a 3051 (3050 Sunseeker) until I reviewed all of the threads regarding the full wall slide issues. You may want to review some of those and inspect your potential purchase carefully. It is too bad, because the DW and I really liked the floor plan. As to having to stop and buy gas every 150 miles, I don't think so......
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #9

Well you can find something negative about anything if you just google it. As to the slide, I have seen few negative comments and problems. The very nature of this forum is to discuss issues and ask questions. You won't find many people taking the time to say "I love the 3051s full body slide and have had no problems with it.
Rocket City Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #10

Haven't had a problem will my slide but like anything mechanical, it will fail! I purchased an ESP to cover any large expensive for the next 7 years so if it does, I will be asking FR to accomplish the repairs at my expense. Thor has a similar setup with their full body slides so I believe the technology will improve over time. I absolutely love the full body slide and wouldn't have it any other way! I also travel with very little fresh water since we tow dolly our Elantra Gt behind the RV and don't want to be overweight.

Frank

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket City Gary View Post
Well you can find something negative about anything if you just google it. As to the slide, I have seen few negative comments and problems. The very nature of this forum is to discuss issues and ask questions. You won't find many people taking the time to say "I love the 3051s full body slide and have had no problems with it.
When I was investigating the 3051 (3050), I did not google anything. I just perused the threads / posts on this forum and concluded that I did not want to take the chance that my RV would potentially be in the repair shop to have the full wall slide fixed for months at a time. Seems as though the
slide is under-engineered ( as stated to me by a dealer ) and concurred by some of the posters on this forum. I'm sure as time goes by, the kinks will be worked out and they will be much more trouble-free. I'll get one then.
If you are happy with your 3050/3051, I'm happy for you. I wish I would have been comfortable getting one.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #12

3050/3051 questions for BClemens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
When I was investigating the 3051 (3050), I did not google anything. I just perused the threads / posts on this forum and concluded that I did not want to take the chance that my RV would potentially be in the repair shop to have the full wall slide fixed for months at a time. Seems as though the
slide is under-engineered ( as stated to me by a dealer ) and concurred by some of the posters on this forum. I'm sure as time goes by, the kinks will be worked out and they will be much more trouble-free. I'll get one then.
If you are happy with your 3050/3051, I'm happy for you. I wish I would have been comfortable getting one.
Brian, We are planning a purchase later this year of a new 3050S. We really love the floorplan and the spacious feeling of the kitchen & bathroom area, so we are pretty stuck on this model. After reading of what seems to be quite a few problems with the full wall slide, we are somewhat concerned about the quality, durability and design of the slide.
Having worked most of my career in the heavy-duty truck industry in parts, service and warranty, I know that manufacturers keep statistics on warranty problems. My question concerns the failure rate of the slides....How many 3050/3051 models have been produced each year and how many slide failure problems have been experienced each year? If the percentage is very low, then maybe I'm concerned for no reason. Have any product improvements been made to the slide since it was introduced, etc.
The truck mfr I worked for had a motto which is part of the everyday American language..."Built like a Mack Truck" I realize that the RV industry does not operate exactly like the truck industry, but If we purchase a 3050 like we want, we will be able to say it is "Built like a Forest River" and mean it.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #13
Commercial Member

We're always improving the product. If we find that something has an issue, we figure out why and put checks and balances in place.

So to answer your question specifically about the 3050/51 slide, it has been modified several times...sometimes because we noticed a potential problem and sometimes because we felt like it was just a better way to build it.

Most recently we ran a prototype on another floor plan and due to some slide installation issues, we changed the way we build that slide room & opening. That revised method will trickle down to the 3050/51 as well. Not because it was breaking, but because we felt like it would give us a much tighter tolerance in the opening.

Last year we built about 500 of that particular floor plan. We do track slide repair, but we're not specific. It could be anything from a loose wire to a dead battery. As for units that needed slide adjustments that a dealer couldn't handle...if I had to guess it was around 10-15 units.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We're always improving the product. If we find that something has an issue, we figure out why and put checks and balances in place.

So to answer your question specifically about the 3050/51 slide, it has been modified several times...sometimes because we noticed a potential problem and sometimes because we felt like it was just a better way to build it.

Most recently we ran a prototype on another floor plan and due to some slide installation issues, we changed the way we build that slide room & opening. That revised method will trickle down to the 3050/51 as well. Not because it was breaking, but because we felt like it would give us a much tighter tolerance in the opening.

Last year we built about 500 of that particular floor plan. We do track slide repair, but we're not specific. It could be anything from a loose wire to a dead battery. As for units that needed slide adjustments that a dealer couldn't handle...if I had to guess it was around 10-15 units.
Thanks Brian...that's just the kind of reassurance that I was looking for. 10-15 out of 500 is not a bad percentage. I feel much more confident now in our choice of a 3050/3051, especially knowing that ongoing modifications have been made for product improvement.
Thanks again.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #15

Great to know that the Forester/ Sunseeker lines are always being improved. I suspect that one day in the near future (5-10) years from now, full wall slides will be commonplace in C classes. So nice to have a factory rep. that is in touch with his product .

Tags