Old 03-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
Plain Old Member

Not the first Forester / Sunseeker to have this happen.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Age has alot to do with what your describing. A 2011 won't have these issues for some time.
I've worked on a few vettes over the years ( look on some of my older posts and profile) and have only seen cracks like this from stress (collision or floor jack) old fiberglass-like 30-40 years old will sometimes have some strand seperation and Uv age damage.

OP I would suggest you take your mh to a RV collision repair center. A nornal dealer doesn't have experiance or knowledge about how to handle stess cracks, frame flex or any kind of real body repair. This sort of damage requires a whole different perspective and knowledge of vehiclular geometry that very few individuals understand or can fixure out a corrective repair plan.
Sorry about your troubles.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
Agreed aged fiberglass is normally where one would see this. I toured the factory and FR makes their own wall panels and slides. If something went wrong with the curing process you might have a problem with these but since the door also has issues, which is a vendor supplied piece, I still think the problem is environmental related. Since the cracks are more prevalent on the darker paint which gets heated by the sun more it also points to an environmental issue. I don't think it is a chassis twist or flex related since it is not on both sides and the slide and door would not likely be effected.

You are correct that lasting repairs for this kind of issue takes special experience and knowledge after the root cause has been determined and remedied.

This got me to check my 2012 which fortunately does not have any cracks anywhere I could see. It is however stored inside a steel building but for the first few months it was outside. In the morning as the sun came on one side I could hear the coach creaking and crackling as the one side heated up. I could also feel the temp difference not only between the sides but also between the light and dark paint. I assume they put flex agents in the paint like you do on flexible car bumpers to handle the expansion differences.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
SNB

Attached are a few more pictures. In general, it seems like the darker paints have more cracks in them -- maybe because they absorbed more heat, not exactly sure. I'll see what FR says.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140315_002.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	47765   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140315_003.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	47766  
Old 03-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #14
Oklahoma Proud

Looks like they are from side wall flexing or deflection. Usually if paint "checks" or cracks from heat the cracks are much much smaller. If given a chance, look at a darker colored Honda car that is 5-8 years old (if you live in a warmer climate). For some reason Hondas darker colors "check" more than any other manufacture I've seen. This use to be more common back in the days of lacquer paint, because it never actually cured, so as it dryed out it shrunk and started cracking.
But that looks completely different than OP's cracks.
Hopefully you can figure something out soon!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #15

SNB, I can't offer much help on your gel-coat issue but I would like to have more information about your unit. How do you keep it stored? Is it in an enclosed building or under a fabric type cover or covered at all? What area are you in - extreme cold temps or fairly consistent?
I have a hard time telling if it is the paint that has the spider crack or if it indeed is into the gel-coat.
I am still awaiting the repair on the side wall crack at the living room slide opening on my 3171.
This is my first full body paint RV and on previous RV's I had experienced delamination and oxidation. I was hoping the full body paint and gel-coat wall would virtually eliminate all exterior material problems (less the scratching of the paint work).

Bobby
Old 03-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #16
SNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
SNB, I can't offer much help on your gel-coat issue but I would like to have more information about your unit. How do you keep it stored? Is it in an enclosed building or under a fabric type cover or covered at all? What area are you in - extreme cold temps or fairly consistent?
I have a hard time telling if it is the paint that has the spider crack or if it indeed is into the gel-coat.
I am still awaiting the repair on the side wall crack at the living room slide opening on my 3171.
This is my first full body paint RV and on previous RV's I had experienced delamination and oxidation. I was hoping the full body paint and gel-coat wall would virtually eliminate all exterior material problems (less the scratching of the paint work).

Bobby
Two winters it was stored inside. Last winter, it was stored outside here in Montana, so we did get cold as most of the country did.

The irony is that I now have a 30' RV garage at the new house we moved into last summer. It is 2' too short for the 3171DS. We decided to store it outside last winter to save a little money to be able to afford extending the garage to fit it... So, next winter it will be back inside since getting the garage extending is now a priority...
Old 03-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #17

Is it possible that this would be caused by the weight of snow load on the roof?