Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #1

Dash DVD not playing on main TV???

I finally got around to putting a DVD in my 3051's Jensen 9726BTC in Dash entertainment/GPS unit.

I was told the video there would display on the main TV in the overhead compartment. It doesn't.

I've tried everything - of course I change the TV source to AV but I've tried them all naturally. I see the DVD content on my in Dash player and the sound in the surround sound speakers (though I don't think the sub woofer is working) but the TV says No Source for anything other than the Antenna (TV) setting.

Is there some trick I'm not getting? I've looked for settings on the in dash player, but find none that switch the playback to the AV cables.

Perhaps this wasn't connected at the factory? Is there some way to get into the back of the in dash Jensen to check/correct this?
Old 07-11-2015, 10:39 PM   #2

While the DVD is playing you should have a button at the bottom of the screen for Rear TFT. Press it. It will bring up a screen of possible inputs to display. Look for one called disc. If you don't see disc then swipe the screen left (meaning press and hold your finger against the screen while dragging your finger left. You should then see the disc input. Press that and you should be in business. Make sure the tv is on AV.
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #3

Yeah, I've seen the Rear TFT button. When I press it I see the DVD option. But I also see "Rear TFT" with a red X through it and it says "Rear Off". When I tap Disc it just shows the video on the dash unit. I've tried it both with and without the parking break set. With it set you see the video on the dash unit. Without it set you see a notice to please set the parking brake.

When I tap "Rear Off" I just see the video on the dash unit. Needless to say I've tried them all many times.

Here's a screen shot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JensenRV.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	82626  
Old 07-12-2015, 12:11 AM   #4

When you press disc and it switches back to dash view that is normal behavior but it should be pumping video through at that point. I wonder if you have a damaged composite cable. I pulled my unit from the dash to ground out the brake wire for DVD in motion othe front screen. I noticed that the factory had taped all the RCA connectors. If you are planning to get into it then you could test with a different composite video cable, otherwise I think you'll need to take it in for warranty. Sorry man... That sucks.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:35 AM   #5

Kinda goofy but seems like mine work if I have the TV in AV mode the put the disc in. Switching TV to AV mode after disc starts and nothing comes thru! Rainy weekend camping help me find that one.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #6

Mine has a damaged composite video cable. When I pull it out of the input in the TV part of it stays in. If I wiggle it around it will work, but definitely needs to be replaced! Maybe yours is the same.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #7

I don't even want to think about how difficult it would be to replace that cable.

I've removed and replaced the cable at the TV a dozen times. I plan to test the TV today and see if there is any issue there. Replacing the TV... easy. Replacing that cable? Very difficult.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
I pulled my unit from the dash to ground out the brake wire for DVD in motion othe front screen.
How do you remove the dash unit or is that just a head unit and there is some remote box somewhere else?
Old 07-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #9

I was originally going to try to replace the cable, but I think I can buy an rca end and solder it instead. Auto connections are ok.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #10

It wasn't easy. First, the dash trim pulls straight out from the clips. I wasn't able to remove the whole dash piece because I couldn't get it around the steering column. So instead I shifted it enough to remove the screws around the stereo. That was the tricky part. I had to set to both screws from the side and from the front. I should have taken some pictures at the time.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
Kinda goofy but seems like mine work if I have the TV in AV mode the put the disc in. Switching TV to AV mode after disc starts and nothing comes thru! Rainy weekend camping help me find that one.

That's really interesting. Mine seems to work after no problem. My biggest gripe are the horizontal lines that run across the screen on the rear TV . In my opinion this because the video cable is poor quality.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #12

Quote:
That's really interesting. Mine seems to work after no problem. My biggest gripe are the horizontal lines that run across the screen on the rear TV . In my opinion this because the video cable is poor quality.
Steve, when running a dvd in the indash dvd player, what TV's can you view that on? Haven't played with that part of our system yet.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #13

Just the main tv over the dinette
Old 07-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Just the main tv over the dinette
Just tried it out, worked first time. Now I just need to be able to get to the earphone jack in the bedroom. Impossible without removing the TV which is hard mounted to the cabinet, so I'm going to add a metal mounting bracket back there so we can remove the TV from the bracket like the bunk room TV does now.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #15

Quote:
My biggest gripe are the horizontal lines that run across the screen on the rear TV . In my opinion this because the video cable is poor quality.
Actually it's not the quality of the cable-it's just that RF/coax is the very lowest quality signal. AV, component, S Video, and HDMI are all higher resolution (I listed them in order of signal quality).

My Satellite Receiver puts out a beautiful image with HDMI but RF signal via coax looks terrible on a higher resolution flat screen TV.

I've been researching "HDMI over Coax" as a way to get a better signal into the bedroom TV. Or maybe even sending a HDMI signal via wireless adapter. Both are available.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #16
2012 Solera

Horizontal lines

Quote:
Solved this, and an audio hum issue, on our 2012 Solera "S" with ground loop isolators on both stereo lines and on the video coax. See my post (#8) on this older thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tem-50684.html.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #17

Thank you so much!!!!
Old 07-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Just tried it out, worked first time. Now I just need to be able to get to the earphone jack in the bedroom. Impossible without removing the TV which is hard mounted to the cabinet, so I'm going to add a metal mounting bracket back there so we can remove the TV from the bracket like the bunk room TV does now.

Would this work instead? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004LG...J5TGZHP3TMPF89
Old 07-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #19
2012 Solera

For more detail on the ground loop isolators, see my post #83 on this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d-44705-9.html
Note the Stinger isolators on Amazon look to be many times more expensive now than they were when I did this mod - I would use something else today!
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Problem is, you can't get any size hand behind the TV where the earphone jack is. Need to be able to get behind the TV using a swing bracket or a fixed one you can lift the TV off of like the bunk TV. No other way to get to that jack. What's nice about using the earphone jack is, once plugged in it cuts out the TV speakers so as not to disturb anyone else.

Tags
dvd