Old 11-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
Also keep in mind that the deep cycle batteies service life, is shortened considerably when you take them below 50% repeated times. If your third battery you are referring to is the vehicle battery, those don't like deep discharge even more. Here is a link you might want to look at. The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
All three batteries have been to zero four times. I doubt that they have much longevity left.
But, I'm going put a BateryMINDer 2012 on them and see what happens.

2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #22

A battery minder is designed to maintain when they need the last bit to bring them to full charge. Your motorhome has a converter that charges batteries in a three step process from near death to close to full charge. Unless you have seperate batter charger you might have better results bringing them up to snuff then use your float charger to top em off. Good luck.

2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
A battery minder is designed to maintain when they need the last bit to bring them to full charge. Your motorhome has a converter that charges batteries in a three step process from near death to close to full charge. Unless you have seperate batter charger you might have better results bringing them up to snuff then use your float charger to top em off. Good luck.
Can't leave the batteries in the M/H, no electricity at the storage yard. They'll freeze solid with no charge left, so I'll put them in the garage, put a charge on them and switch over to the BatteryMINDer 2012. Supposedly it's keep them topped off, without boiling off the electrolyte, and also desulfate them. Don't know if it will work, this is the first time I've used it.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiniii View Post
I'll put them in the garage, put a charge on them and switch over to the BatteryMINDer 2012. Supposedly it's keep them topped off, without boiling off the electrolyte, and also desulfate them. Don't know if it will work, this is the first time I've used it.
Yes, they work. I have two different VDC BatteryMinder products and both have extended or resurrected my batteries. I use this one BatteryMinder Battery Tester Maintainer attached directly to my batteries and it uses the onboard charger to desulphate the batteries (it works on both house batteries though only connected to one).

I use this one BatteryMinder 12248 for lawn equipment batteries. Typically my lawn tractor battery would last a year since BatteryMinder has been used to trickle charge and desulphate I have gone 3 years since I battery change.

On the boil off issue, you have something drawing enough current to make the onboard battery charger to stay in medium or high charge mode. With everything off, check for current draw from the batteries using a DC amp meter.
Even with my house disconnect off I measure about 1 amp draw. In a week that is 168 amps.
Disconnecting the negative is one way to eliminate battery drain caused by small electronics in the coach but even a disconnected stored battery losses power.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #25

I use Battery Tender Jr brand units and have had good luck with them. The batteries are 5-7 years old and still going strong on my ATV, snowmobile, and mower.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #26
Denver, CO

Please report what you find out with the battery resurrection project. Whilt ATV and lawnmower batteries are interesting, I guess. It is the large Deep cycle, which are very different that are of interest.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
It is the large Deep cycle, which are very different that are of interest.
When I had my first TT - within the 1st year I had to replace the battery. It would drop to 11 volts soon after unplugging from shore power. I maintained that battery keeping the fluid level full and not leaving the charger on all the time. I replaced the battery and also installed the VDC BatteryMinder Maintainer. When I traded that TT in I had 3 years on the same battery and it was still going strong. I installed the VDC BatteryMinder Maintainer on the new TT, 2 years on that battery before I traded that TT in for the Forester. And yes, the VDC BatteryMinder Maintainer is now in the Forester.
I firmly believe sulphation killed the first battery in our first TT. The VDC BatteryMinder products by my experience do what they say.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #28

I just was going to find out about the "round" switch by the step what is that for? You answer my question. I have a 2013 3051S, but the dealer never mention what it did!! Thank you very much. raydee66

raydee66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery