Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #1

Dead Under Floor Slide

Help - Anyone know where the fuse is for the slide. Manual says it's in the fuse box but not there.

Also any suggestions for accessing the slide motor? How the heck do you get to it? I have an underfloor slide that just has the U-Shaped dinette in it.

Getting ready for a trip in two days, it went out just fine. No response when pushing the retract button. I was able to crank it in, moves easy.

Hoping it's just a fuse. They replaced the motor under warranty when new but that's over a year ago now.

Forester 2451s
Old 10-26-2016, 07:15 AM   #2

I have a 2017 2431S with a dead slide motor as well. The fuse was in the fuse box and the controller was in an outside compartment on the left side of the vehicle. It is a small box about 3" X 3". Since you don't see the fuse, I would find the controller and check there..

On mine, the rocker switch is a 2 pair wire that runs underneath the floor to the controller. The power must run about the same since the rocker switch is close to the fuse box. The controller then has two 3 pair wires going to each motor. There is a 1 pair wire for power to the controller as well. (I would suggest checking that.)

My controller failed which made it look like there was a blown fuse.

Hope that helps you figure out yours.
kranki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:49 PM   #3

Dead Under Floor Slide

Well shoot. Slide is working intermittently. Worked fine last weekend, started a five week trip Thursday and not working again. Can't find fuse or controller. Took the skirt off the slide today and don't see anything that looks out of order. Accessed the switch and there is no power to the switch. I suspect it is one of the safety relays that prevents slide from moving when engine is running, maybe one of others. Will look for a fuse more tomorrow. Slide sounds normal when it works.

Suggestions appreciated! Especially from owners with above floor slides like a u-shaped dinette.

Forester 2451s
Old 11-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

I'm not sure how the fuse/circuit breaker set up is on a Forrester. On my Lexington there is a removable panel to the power management box which has the battery cables running to it. Inside the box are circuit breakers and fuses for the heating pads for the tanks, and mini circuit breakers, one for each of the 3 slides on the Lexi.
If you Forrester has some kind of box like this, check for a bad circuit breaker. The slide motors should be protected bu a circuit breaker, not a fuse, as the slide motors work directly off the 12 volt batteries.
The box is made by Precision Circuits Inc, and is labled as a Battery Management System.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
I'm not sure how the fuse/circuit breaker set up is on a Forrester. On my Lexington there is a removable panel to the power management box which has the battery cables running to it. Inside the box are circuit breakers and fuses for the heating pads for the tanks, and mini circuit breakers, one for each of the 3 slides on the Lexi.

If you Forrester has some kind of box like this, check for a bad circuit breaker. The slide motors should be protected bu a circuit breaker, not a fuse, as the slide motors work directly off the 12 volt batteries.

The box is made by Precision Circuits Inc, and is labled as a Battery Management System.

Grumpy

Thanks Grumpy. Had been in the box twice. Third time was a charm. Darn fuse had bounced out and down in the bottom. I suspect it wasn't seated properly following motor replacement when new or maybe those washboard roads on recent trip out west bounced it out. Either way using diagram on the door I plugged it back in and now works like a charm. Really happy because cranking the slide in and out was not much fun and we are on a 5 week trip!

Unusual fuse. Think I need to find a spare.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1479491833.182816.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	125417
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1479491848.084566.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	125418
Old 02-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #6

I'm glad you found your problem. Being the curious person I am, I didn't have my 2017 3051S at home for a week before I removed the access panels by the stairwell. Almost every component was not fully plugged in. I'll be checking these periodically to see if it's a recurring issue.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #7

I wanted to add a couple of other things that I found out later. One, be careful. The motors are about $500 each and the controller is about $500 as well. So, a new system is about $1500 without labor. When the tech started testing the system, he eventually jumped the motors at the controller which activated the specific motor. If one is very careful, they might be able to move the slide by jumping the motors individually for limited movement at a time. The tech was convinced that the motor did not fail. However, its limit sensor did. Of course, they have to replace the entire unit. So, the dealer replaced a motor and the controller, because they felt that both failed. Forester says that you can "pull a pin" on the motor, move the slide out by hand, then replace the pin. On my unit, the forward motor is easily accessed. However, the rear unit is in a corner that can be very difficult to get to. So, it would not be an easy thing to accomplish. Hope that helps someone.
kranki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide