Old 11-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #1

Dealer or Forest River?

I have a brand new 2015 Forester 2861DS with a problem. The RV is less than two months old. Only ľ of the rope light attached to the awning lights up (factory installed). The rest looks twisted. I made an appointment with the dealer where I purchased it to have it fixed. I sent pictures of the rope light, the label on the awning arm with the serial number, model number, SKU number as requested by the dealer a week before I brought it in for service. The dealer said he would order it from Forester River as the RV is under warranty. I called to find out the status a week after I brought it in and was told the part still hasnít come in yet and they will call when they received the part and install it.

Now you think they wouldnít have me bring it in until the part was at their location. They probably can use the space on their lot.

I do not know where the problem is with the dealer or with Forest River. The dealer says he ordered it and is waiting for Forest River to send it to him. Why does is take almost three weeks to receive a part from Forest River (unless the dealer didnít send in the part request in yet).

You may think I am impatient, but when you have a new RV that you would like to plan a trip and canít use it you may understand my frustration.

You can buy this part from Camping World for $39.00.

If I could get the part from Forest River (without paying for it) I would install it myself and forget the dealer.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Ken

Old 11-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Carknocker Family

My first thought is that the dealer did not order it. I would use my camper, after all it is just a light. Wait till you don't have plans to go camping and then pursue the fix with warranty work. JMO

2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #3

I have read this type of complaint often in this forum. Getting authorization from forest river is slow..your dealer maybe combining warranty parts in a bulk order as way to reduce shipping costs. Please use the camper and enjoy it.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Dealer or Forest River?

My dealership ordered a microwave to replace the defective one in my new unit. I saw an email from FR warranty saying FR was OUT of microwaves and was awaiting a new shipment. Your problem could be with the dealership or FR. I'd find out what the dealer says is the holdup.

I enjoyed my trailer until the dealership told me the new microwave had arrived!

Sent (I think)

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #5

There's three different places you are dealing with. The dealer, FR and the company that makes those lights.

Go get your camper, use it like you want. Have the dealership ship the part to you. Change it yourself or when you have it in hand, bring your camper to the dealer.

Yes it is very aggravating at times dealing with dealerships and parts.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
RKR

I've had my 5r just over a year. After the dealer fixed a few things from the shakedown trip I fixed the rest myself at my expense. I didn't have the time nor felt I had the patience to deal with my dealer ( who was great for the shakedown repairs) and Forest River. I replaced my converter and microwave myself at my cost. I didn't want to put factory junk back in it. I did my homework and upgraded both items.This was also during camping season and I didn't want it sitting on the dealers lot. Just get done and get back to camping.

Sent from my high tech gadget
Old 11-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
I've had my 5r just over a year. After the dealer fixed a few things from the shakedown trip I fixed the rest myself at my expense. I didn't have the time nor felt I had the patience to deal with my dealer ( who was great for the shakedown repairs) and Forest River. I replaced my converter and microwave myself at my cost. I didn't want to put factory junk back in it. I did my homework and upgraded both items.This was also during camping season and I didn't want it sitting on the dealers lot. Just get done and get back to camping.

Sent from my high tech gadget
I feel the same way. 90% of what goes wrong can be fixed for under $25, and done better. Not worth putting up with horrible service and not having my 5th wheel for weeks or more.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #8

I am dealing with the same issue. The dealer blames Forest River so I called Forest River and they blamed the dealer. Based on my previous experiences with the dealership I bought my trailer from being very positive I am pretty sure the problem is Forest River. Today I emailed a warranty rep and he didn't even know Forest River made Evo. If he doesn't know what his company makes I am sure he can't handle getting parts to the dealers on time.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for their reply to my issue. I will wait a couple more days and then next week I will go to the dealer and pick up my RV. Tell them when the part comes in to call me. I will start using and enjoying my RV because I really don't need the light.

Thanks Again,

Ken
Old 11-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #10

I took my 5er in for warranty work July 23rd. We still don't have parts, I went and picked it up, a $90 round trip I'll have you know, went on vacation and now I'm just going to fix it myself along with the other things I just fixed my bloody self.

The dealer blames FR, FR isn't responding. I don't know the truth but do know I'm handy enough to just fix it on my own.

Just go get it and fix it yourself. When you buy a Forest River product you do not have a warranty you can actually use.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, forest river