Old 05-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #1

Decal maintenance.

I posted the in the General area and no responses. Any help would be appreciated.

As a newbie, I have read (I think) all the threads on the cleaning and waxing our RV's to help me with our new Forester. I appreciate all the experience you all bring to the forum but one question I have after reading all of this is can I use my Maquires Marine polish/wax on the decals. In all the threads some people say yes, others say you should not.
I am in the process of getting ready to wax my Forester for the first time and I would like to get off on the right foot. Does anyone have any concrete evidence one way or another on the use of polish/wax on the decals? Your help would be appreciated.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
WFD

Unfortunately you won't know for sure till a few years from now if they dry out from wax. I hear ya....some say they wax over without problems, others have had to replace decals. I suppose it depends where you live, southern climate vs northern. To be on the safe side I decided to avoid waxing the decals. Now obviously some does get on the edges of them as I wax the void areas between the decals..I figure it wont be a huge deal if a bit gets on them.
What I have done after reading many posts in here, is I bought a bottle of Aerospace 303, and use that on decals as well as on rubber parts around windows,etc. It really does seem to live up to all the praise it gets. Best price seems to be on Amazon, it's very difficult to find elsewhere. People claim to use it on tires as well. It's a very good UV protectant.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:25 PM   #3

Thanks WFD I appreciate your response.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:49 PM   #4

I cannot say I have "concrete evidence" but, I treat them the same as the 3M graphics on my truck.

3M instructions are here:
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...hics-wraps.pdf
Old 05-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #5

Thanks Madmax. This is good information to read through.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
GM

The mfg sometimes depends on what colors are used. We have used 3M and some other mfg that I do not remember. It is the same type of media as the vehicle wraps, so seems like the 3M sheets is the best advice.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #7

Thanks Mr. Clemens.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:01 PM   #8

I use NuFinish polymer liquid polish on the RV including the decals. It has no abrasives which many polishes do. Manufacture recommends for decals as long as they have a shinny surface. So far so good for almost two years.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
Cyber Phrenologist

The way my 5th wheel is stored in the yard the curb side faces south. Always.

The heat and UV light has caused only the darkest decals on that side to appear to shrink and crack, the cracks getting wider as the decal continues to shrink. The trailer was built July 2008. I have only used various brands of RV was and wax soap, treating the decal the same as the rest of the exterior.

Only the darkest decals have done this, and to touch them in the summer time they are much hotter than the rest of the trailer wall.

Not whining, the trailer is getting older and holding up pretty well. I think the only solution to prevent this is a shelter or cover.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
The heat and UV light has caused only the darkest decals on that side to appear to shrink and crack, the cracks getting wider as the decal continues to shrink...

Only the darkest decals have done this...
I bought a black paint pen and filled in the cracks. Not an ideal solution but an "OK" solution. You have to be much closer to the trailer to notice. The unpainted cracks were very obvious.

This is not an ink-based magic marker. This is an oil-based paint marker (or paint pen) There is a water-based paint marker as well. Be sure you get the oil based kind for best results. A good crafts store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels will have them. About $3.00

2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance