Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 07:42 PM   #21

Looks like a version of Mobil 1, and a Penn Platinum European will work as do many more. Not sure which ones are available or can be ordered in the USA

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol...229.51_en.html
camperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #22

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OKK7YEQ/...=INHRNJA88U9O0

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #23

I was all set to buy a Ford chassis and in my final round of research I test drove an MBS right after driving a rented Ford Sunseeker for a few days. The difference was night and day. The MBS was quieter, had smoother power, handled far better, and had much more room in the cockpit. The fact that it gets better gas mileage and looks sharper were extras for me.

I've been on the road with my new MBS for two weeks now, and I couldn't be happier. It drives so comfortably that I feel like I can go all day, and when I need to I can parallel park it in town pretty easily. For me, those are the reasons to get an MBS.

I think I paid about $13k extra for it through an online dealer compared to a comparable Ford. To me, it feels totally worth it.
konrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:14 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by konrad View Post
I think I paid about $13k extra for it through an online dealer compared to a comparable Ford. To me, it feels totally worth it.
When we were researching I found that the MBS is generally about $10K more expensive than a comparable gas unit. I refer to it as the M-B tax... The good news is the resale value of a MBS is also about $10K higher.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #25
JRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperboy View Post
I use Rotella T 5W-40 full synthetic in my 6.7 Powerstroke. Costs me around $20 gallon at Walmart. As long as it meets the specs that MB calls for there is no reason to use any oil that costs $10 quart. Since I wouldn't drive 15k miles anyway it would be a once a year change so the extended life does me no good. If you are still worried do a Blackstone and have your oil analyzed

MB requires the new low SAPS 229.51 spec oil. While it is quite common in Europe it is still hard to come by in the states and is EXPENSIVE. Unfortunately this is the same oil that is required in the 3.0 VM diesel engine in the Grand Cherokee and the Ram 1500.

BTW, Mobil 1 ESP is still right around $10 a quart. You may find some deals a buck or so a quart either way but the above guesstimate @ $10 per quart is pretty accurate.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:52 PM   #26
2012 Solera

Available from Amazon - both Mobil 1 and Mercedes - http://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-Benz-...s=Sprinter+oil
http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-121218-0...8QEKMR9004N4DB
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:10 AM   #27
Tinkerer and Putterer

It sounds like this won't be a full time rig so the length of time the diesel will be in the tank could also be an issue. I went gas for the increased towing capacity (7500lbs vs 3500 lbs for the current fleet of FR Cs), gasolines ability to sit for longer periods of time without going bad, cheaper oil changes, no added DEF expense, and my mechanical knowledge. Repair costs for the chassis didn't really factor in because I knew that the rig would sit more time than it was on the road and the drivelines in gas RVs should be fine for 100K miles before you need to break a seal. You will need to flush fluids, replace tires, hoses and belts etc but that cost is about the same across the board. Now when the Mrs and I full time we will be going diesel mainly for my driving pleasure. In my experience the gas mileage improvement never offsets the added DEF, fuel and maintenance costs of a diesel.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas