Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
I love this thread. Where was our Factory Rep when we couldn't get the residential fridge to work on batteries due to the fact that the inverter was never installed. Or, when I had to buy a cable tester, terminals, and a crimper to get most of the coax cables redone and installed in the correct inputs, etc., etc.

Don't understand why Class Cs deserve a Factory Rep that cares and responds to customer issues, and Class As do not.

You need to realize that Brian is a Factory Rep for class C's, but his participation on this forum is not part of his job. He is here on his own, not as an "employee" of FR. He is one of those rare exceptional people (these days at least) who goes way beyond what he is paid to do in order to meet people's needs--including solving problems. Should other factory reps learn from him and join the forums for the products they represent? Maybe so. Should customer-oriented companies like Forest River make it a paid part of someone's job to be on a forum like this? Maybe so.

Don't forget there are other--"official"--ways to get help from the manufacturer. And in my experience with FR, there are many fine people ready to help. I have emailed and talked with April to get warranty issues resolved and she has been most pleasant and helpful.

These forums are for owners and other interested people to share experiences, ask and answer questions, etc. The fact that we have a factory rep participating actively in the class C forums is a big bonus for us--but not something we should automatically expect. These forums are not owned or operated by FR.

As I have said before, Brian, thanks for being here.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #32

It's great that he visits the site to get feedback, and that he is not here as a FR rep is noted.
Not hijacking from the OP, but he has obviously had his share of problems with his unit. And I am not complaining about mine because I did buy it used.
But, you all who buy new units, both low and high end should expect to get a quality product for your money, and not something that needs repair right off the bat. If I had bought mine new, I would have been outraged by some of the stupid and dangerous things I found to have been let out of the plant. Took me all of 15 minutes to fix and some wire clamps and wire ties to fix.
I know it's not his responsibility to get these problems taken care of, but since he is here, and works for FR, he should make these concerns and problems known to those who can make a difference in their products.
grumpy

Old 06-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #33

How many folks bought a GM or Toyota
car? How many times your car had to go back for warranty or a recall? Just asking!
Old 06-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #34

Hmmmm, let me see. 6 Subarus, 3 wife's, 3 mine in 24 years, over 300,000 miles, no recalls. 2007 Mustang GT, 74,000 miles, no recalls.
A recall is something entirely different, a problem or defect that was found after a part was made, and than FIXED by the manufacturer, at no cost to the owner. It.s not shoddy workmanship, just a poorly designed part. And remember, a recall involves all the vehicles in a class, old and new weather under warrenty or not, one year or 20 years old.
What I'm refering to are the obvious, and I do mean obvious and noticable defects that come out of a plant. If quality control were taken seriously by FR and other rv manufacturers, the first posts from newbies wouldn't be about their problems with slides that don't work, leaks from water lines, leaks from improperly installed seals, trim comming loose because of no screws, electrical problems, ect.

Stress cracks in a 2 year old roof on a $90,000.00 rv with 3000 miles. Problem--yes. Defect--yes. Fixed or offer to fix--no. And that is what we as consumers are stuck with. And, we as consumers are partially to blame, because we continue to buy products that have known problems, from manufacturers who can but won't do better.
grumpy
Old 06-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #35

Ok rekwiat, again with comparisons to auto manufacturering, that is just an excuse, how many recalls gm or Toyota has, has absolutely no bearing on the quality of product F/R puts out. Yes Mr. CLEMENS has helped me with issues and it is appreciated, and I think him doing this on his own time shows his dedication to the product. I looked back in this forum and have seen many many threads about problems on brand new units from small items to major items for quite a while. But I guess the thing is that yea Mr. Clemens reads these and has done some wonderful things helping people with problems. It seems that the corporate mentality of F/R is that once we sell the rv we will deal with the problems, no need to eliminate the problems, because their defect ratio is below the established corporate limit. What ever that limit is it maybe 2 or 5%, but cutting edge companies are saying that is to high we want to shoot for 0 defects and they put that mentality into the workers. Like why did the tech who knew he screwed up my closet door try to hide the issue by jamming in 2 screws instead of stopping and either fixing it or get a supervisor. WHY, because it is cheaper to let it out the door and let the consumer deal with it. But I am on my soapbox again. I guess I was overly sold on F/R and that their product is soo much better than competition by the dealer that I was just knocked down a notch when the main door wouldn't lock after first day and cabinet doors fall off after being opened maybe 2 dozen times, the folding door to be room came out of track, the screens on skylights don't fold properly and the right rear stabalizer is leaking fluid. Yes these are all little stupid things but when they happen over and over then it is something.BUT you will never get my 3051S away from me, I plan on running it till it won't run no more. I STILL LOVE MY RV.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
You need to realize that Brian is a Factory Rep for class C's, but his participation on this forum is not part of his job. He is here on his own, not as an "employee" of FR. He is one of those rare exceptional people (these days at least) who goes way beyond what he is paid to do in order to meet people's needs--including solving problems. Should other factory reps learn from him and join the forums for the products they represent? Maybe so. Should customer-oriented companies like Forest River make it a paid part of someone's job to be on a forum like this? Maybe so.

Don't forget there are other--"official"--ways to get help from the manufacturer. And in my experience with FR, there are many fine people ready to help. I have emailed and talked with April to get warranty issues resolved and she has been most pleasant and helpful.

These forums are for owners and other interested people to share experiences, ask and answer questions, etc. The fact that we have a factory rep participating actively in the class C forums is a big bonus for us--but not something we should automatically expect. These forums are not owned or operated by FR.

As I have said before, Brian, thanks for being here.
Still Jealous
Old 06-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #37

I totally believe in buying American made products whenever possible. However with RVs it's now kind of like cars were in the 60s and 70s, not great quality. Unfortunately like with cars, I think it's going to take some foreign competition to get the quality where it should be. Also when I visited the factory last year, they were building piece rate. The dayshift team had a quota of 16 units per day and their day ended when all were completed. Basically the faster they got them done the sooner they could leave. It's possible but tough to manage quality in that situation. Don't know if other manufacturers work that way or if FR still does.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #38

I too like USNMM... love my 3051s, after looking at lots of other makes my wife and I had to have it!!! Its just the little things (besides the items I have listed already )like the 37 fifteen amp fuses laying in the coach battery compartment that noboby cared to pick up after droping them and the two lose screws laying on their side that are embeded in the roof vent sealent ( plus many others)that shows the workers on the assembly line have to clean up their act. Once again just my opinion
Old 06-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #39
Plain Old Member

I think jfrauts comments are kind of funny, at least I can relate to some of it. Spare parts. Over the last several motorhomes and trailers, I have quite a collection of spare parts left behind, like fuses, wiring, screws of all types etc. I even got a brand new black flush nozzle out of the black tank discharge once (during testing before it was used thank goodness). The only thing I hadn't really been able to use is the sawdust. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

On another note, Brian helped me out a bunch when we had our Forester. Toured the plant, met Brian in person. Great guy. So I say thanks for all the help he provides us with.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #40

So funny how when you are about to buy a rv and search don't find any negative...then you go buy it and find the negative post....we just took ownership of a 2015 same model motorhome......we can not get the speakers on ceiling to come one...a bit hard to use the tv and have air conditioner on with out speakers..... Any suggestions

Tags
2014, 305