Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #1

DISH satellite hook up for a 2401 Forrester

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK, so we finally bought a DISH Tailgater satellite with wally receiver. The brochure for our coach said it was pre-wired for satellite, so I figured I'd plug into one of the two outside coax connectors - NOPE!

IF I plug directly into the back of the Wally receiver, we get a great picture, but if I connect it to either coax connection (one by the man door, or the main TV one back b/w the electrical and water) we get a "complete signal lost" message?

Not being very smart about this stuff (ok, not even a little smart...) I just assumed there was some fancy thing behind the walls that said it was now hooked to satellite?

The last thing in the world I want to do is run that darn cable through a partially open window to the back of the cable box I really hope someone can tell me I'm missing something simple/obvious or even "here's the fix, but it isn't easy". After spending $500 on all our equipment, I really want this to work right.

Like I said, GREAT picture when running cable through the window directly to the back of the wally receiver, but...

And yes, I tried to look for other threads. I can take a pic of the connections in the cabinet behind the TV if that would help anyone have an idea on what we're missing.

Thank you.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:13 PM   #2

If it is like my 2109S, the end of the satellite coax from the outside is merely tied up behind the radio and not long enough to do much with either.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #3

Our Class C, Forrester said prewired also. It was not. I had to take it to the shop and pay to get my Dish wired. Very disappointed that you write this, as it apparently has happened to more than mine. The reason I had to pay was because it was out of warranty by the time I bought the dish. Yes, we had to pull the wires through the window.
5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:04 PM   #4

I have no idea where the prewired satellite connector is on a 2401 but on my 2018 3011DSF it's on the roof. The rear sidewall connector is for cable tv and goes to the OTA TV amplifier (the one you have to turn on for OTA and off for cable). That outside connector can be used for satellite but the cabling has to be modified so the sat signal doesn't pass through the amp.
tkljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:21 AM   #5

Thx for the replies but it appears we’re kind of screwed on this one 😡
Old 09-25-2018, 07:13 AM   #6

Does yours have the dual coax connector on the outside? If so, remove the connector block (three screws) and pull it out and look on the backside to see what color coax is connected to the satellite side. Mine was black. (Orange was cable). I stumbled upon an unused black coax bundled with the other coax at the antenna amp control.
I realize that yours might be entirely different.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:15 AM   #7

https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Jumper-...70_&dpSrc=srch

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK, so we finally bought a DISH Tailgater satellite with wally receiver. The brochure for our coach said it was pre-wired for satellite, so I figured I'd plug into one of the two outside coax connectors - NOPE!

IF I plug directly into the back of the Wally receiver, we get a great picture, but if I connect it to either coax connection (one by the man door, or the main TV one back b/w the electrical and water) we get a "complete signal lost" message?

Not being very smart about this stuff (ok, not even a little smart...) I just assumed there was some fancy thing behind the walls that said it was now hooked to satellite?

The last thing in the world I want to do is run that darn cable through a partially open window to the back of the cable box I really hope someone can tell me I'm missing something simple/obvious or even "here's the fix, but it isn't easy". After spending $500 on all our equipment, I really want this to work right.

Like I said, GREAT picture when running cable through the window directly to the back of the wally receiver, but...

And yes, I tried to look for other threads. I can take a pic of the connections in the cabinet behind the TV if that would help anyone have an idea on what we're missing.

Thank you.
Don't worry you're not alone in this one. I too just bought the Pathway X2 and Dish Walley for my Crusader. It clearly says satellite and cable prepped. I tried to connect to the satellite port and I get no signal. I bought one of those flat coax cables and run it through my window and all is well and sealed. It was a bummer but it still works.

2006 F-250 CCSB 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke
Air Lift 5k bags w/ onboard compressor
2022 Keystone Raptor 351
B&W Companion
Brendon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #9

As ALWAYS, thanks very much for the replies!!! I pulled my mess of boxes and what not back out of the MH and we're going to set it off to the side for a while, hook up my boat and go camping/fishing for a few days and tackle it again on Monday, or at least way options.

Thank you!
Old 09-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #10

What’s a Wally receiver?
kwf1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #11

It's just a small DISH receiver that is part of the satellite package I bought.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #12

Jshea

You can run cable and satellite off the same outside cable hook up. On the inside where your tuner hooks up you can pull that wall plate off, disconnect the cable and install a special splitter with one cable input and 2 cable outputs. Each output has a different frequency. One for cable & one for satellite. Get 2 pieces of short coax and run one to the cable output on the wall & one to the satellite output . Splitter is not expensive.
J.Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #13

Again, thanks very much for the replies - LOL, there is a glimmer of hope in some of these replies, and I will give it an attempt this weekend when we get home!

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwf1958 View Post
What’s a Wally receiver?
It is the box you need to use inside with the Dish antenna to get tv stations.
5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #15
pburch

Hey Guys;

I used to install these systems in my prior life! Lol The coax connection on the outside of your unit has to go directly to the back of the receiver ( power to the dish is run thru the coax) so, the coax may be going thru a splitter behind your TV, or to your TV antenna amp. Find the coax coming from the outside, remove it from the splitter, or amp, and use a F-81 barrel connector to connect a coax jumper to the back of the receiver, and you will have a picture!!!!
2021 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L 4 x 4 3.73 Gear 6' 4" Bed
Along with "Abby" and "Charlie" our Fur Babies
pburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #16
Adult Member

On our 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS it is on the roof. We ran a 100 ft cable down to the ladder where we keep it so we do not have to install everytime.
punkinpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #17

It is also not uncommon for the cables to be labelled incorrectly. On our unit, there is 3 cable connections in the wet bay. One is for cable TV, one is for satellite living room and one is satellite bedroom. The cables were hooked up wrong. The satellite living room and the satellite bedroom were swapped. If you this applies to your setup, I would check the cables.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #18

Dish hookup

I have the Pathway X2 and the wally box. I installed a separate outlet for dish, camper came with a cable outlet. Worked great no need to good thru window, just screw in coax and you're good to go. Now if I'm where cable is available just use my dish coax in to the cable outlet
wolffj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #19

Read the body of work on what people have........and you will find coax cabling in these units is different for each one.......even of the same model. I was lucky that mine are labeled right. But I had to pull the plate at both ends to ensure that each was color coded right. Some are all black though, so that'd be no help. Mine are gray, orange, and black. Find both ends of the orange (etc) and you have a direct run. Satellite receivers require a direct run.

If you can't ensure a direct run, you have to build one.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #20

got a buddy coming over this weekend and we'll take another run at it! I WILL post up my results; hopefully GOOD results!

Thanks!

Tags
forester, lite, satellite