Old 07-03-2019, 08:26 AM   #1

Question Do alignment or wait

So, getting ready to take a 2100 mile journey to the New England states. Would it be worthwhile, in your all's opinion, to have the alignment completed as listed here or just wait until we get back?

I have 1200 miles on my rig now

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #2

You have a limited time frame to do the alignment if you want FR to pay for it... Talk to your dealer and find out what may be covered and for how long.

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:49 AM   #3

It made a world of difference in the handling of mine. I would do it. I paid for mine!
Old 07-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #4

Why would you wait?
Old 07-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
You have a limited time frame to do the alignment if you want FR to pay for it... Talk to your dealer and find out what may be covered and for how long.
My dealer is 3 hrs away. My local shop would do a great job, I think, so I would just pay for it and then get FR to reimburse, if they would.

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreTheGiant View Post
Why would you wait?
The couple of shops that I spoke too both recommended not to get an alignment until you have 2K-3K miles on the rig. The explanation was that the front end components will wear some during this period and if you get a alignment right after purchase, you may find yourself having to get another alignment soon after hitting this mileage because of that wear. Knowing this, I decided to wait to have the alignment done even though it took me past the reimbursement period from Forest River. For the $150 that it cost, this strategy was worth following just so I would not have to do it twice.

RVr
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
The couple of shops that I spoke too both recommended not to get an alignment until you have 2K-3K miles on the rig. The explanation was that the front end components will wear some during this period and if you get a alignment right after purchase, you may find yourself having to get another alignment soon after hitting this mileage because of that wear. Knowing this, I decided to wait to have the alignment done even though it took me past the reimbursement period from Forest River. For the $150 that it cost, this strategy was worth following just so I would not have to do it twice.

RVr
If it wears that much more, then there is something wrong. I have 94000 miles on mine and no front end parts have been replaced other then shocks.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:44 AM   #8

caster alignment

Some E350/E450 have handling issues, some do not, the following may explain the difference:

Ford ships all E350/E450 cut aways with identical fixed, non adjustable
caster/camber collars, "one size fits all". You can recognize these collars because they are keyed and cannot be rotated. They are marked "F8UA-AA 0+.25" on the passenger side and "E97A-CA +0-0" on the drivers side.

The RV builder almost never changes the Ford collars, as a result:

If the final RV build is nose down one degree then the runtime caster will be about +3.5 degrees. These units can have a real wandering problem.

If the final RV build is nose level then the runtime caster will be about +4.5 degrees. These units are probably indifferent.

If the final RV build is nose up one degree then the runtime caster will be about +5.5 degrees. These units are probably just fine, possibly excepting the 31+ footers.

So, some RVs have a problem with wandering at highway speeds and some do not have a problem. JMO.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #9

Alignment

My horrible experiences told me to get it done NOW!.. After around $10,000 damages, II bought new Hercules tires and my Firestone dealer told me my axles were not aligned. I had that done, including some replaced springs, and just had all bearings repacked by trustworthy professionals. I would never buy another trailer without having the axles aligned, repacking the bearings and putting on reliable tires.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
My horrible experiences told me to get it done NOW!.. After around $10,000 damages, II bought new Hercules tires and my Firestone dealer told me my axles were not aligned. I had that done, including some replaced springs, and just had all bearings repacked by trustworthy professionals. I would never buy another trailer without having the axles aligned, repacking the bearings and putting on reliable tires.
He is discussing his Ford Motorhome chassis.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment