Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I would be curious about how long the fridge would run after shutting at the tank. I may test it.
Another problem is that if the fridge didn't have its flame on when you turned off the gas, it could turn on during your fueling minutes after you turned the valve off.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
Always on to run the Refer. I turn it off when pulling in to fuel up the truck.

WHY??????????????????
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #43

The Dometic RM1350 series installed in the Foresters have a great method to address this so-called problem. If you set the refrigerator to Auto mode and it’s running on gas the gas automatically shuts off for 15 minutes after you turn the motor off. If you want it off beyond that time period just switch to manual. Fifteen minutes is usually sufficient at the fuel pump.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:59 PM   #44

Yes. All the time.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:07 PM   #45

Ours is always on when travelling and fueling. Never gave it thought to shut it off when refueling. I'll have to ask some of the hundreds of refer trailers I've seen at the truck stops if they shut their trailers off when they refuel. Guess we've made it thirty years without hitting the button at fuel stops so I'm fairly confident we'll make the few years we have left.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:16 PM   #46

Always. Never have turned it off. If fuel splashes up anywhere near the refrig I figure that I have bigger problems to worry about.

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger5301 View Post
I'll have to ask some of the hundreds of refer trailers I've seen at the truck stops if they shut their trailers off when they refuel.
I though refer trailers used diesel generators to power their cooling units.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:43 PM   #48

Probably a little more important is not running the fridge when refilling the permanently installed propane tank. I’ve never measured the distance but my fridge is pretty darn close to the propane fill valve. Tractor Supply folks insist on verifying the propane supply valve is selected off.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #49

Babock, you could be correct, I just remember seeing some with what I thought was an lp tank mounted under the front of the trailer. I've never pulled one, I'm stuck with a triple axle grain trailer. I'll pay more attention next time I'm at one of the truck stops and probably still ask.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:25 PM   #50

Does anyone travel with their Propane On?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Another problem is that if the fridge didn't have its flame on when you turned off the gas, it could turn on during your fueling minutes after you turned the valve off.

100% correct. In the South/summer time I don’t think you have to worry about it turning off during the day. Lol
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger5301 View Post
Ours is always on when travelling and fueling. Never gave it thought to shut it off when refueling. I'll have to ask some of the hundreds of refer trailers I've seen at the truck stops if they shut their trailers off when they refuel. Guess we've made it thirty years without hitting the button at fuel stops so I'm fairly confident we'll make the few years we have left.

I have been wrong thousands of times, but I’m pretty sure they aren’t absorption units.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:55 AM   #52

I use my Refrigerator on propane while traveling. I have had to use the generator while running to keep things cold on a long trip when I was out of Propane.
johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOUSER View Post
It has occurred to me that if I ran with the propane on, I could use my refrigerator to keep food cold while in transit.

Up to now, I have always packed frozen and cold items into an Ice Chest and filled it with ice for the 2 day run from Virginia to Florida. It's not a problem with the ice chest solution. Am I looking at a safety hazard or a high propane use issue?

Downsides please. All opinions welcome.

v/r rch
Try Search here on this web site !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #54

Sometimes I avoid asking a question on here and other forums, because somebody always jumps in and tells me to search. Well, I do. Some search engines on some forums are completely useless. Then I ask and still get the same response. Fortunately, these negative responses are far outnumbered by the more helpful folks and I get the answer I need or at least pointed in the right direction. I've owned an RV for 16 years and sometimes still have questions, I sympathize with the newer RVer and how they don't have to learn everything the hard way like I did.

If a person asks a question and you're tired of reading it...can't you just scroll on?

If a newbie was next to you at a campground and asked you if you could show him how to plug in his 30 amp, would you tell him to go do a search?

Myself, I feel good when someone asks a question. I try to help if it's a subject I know well enough. I at least read everyone's answers. Sometimes you learn something new.

If people stop asking questions, won't the forum wither away and die?

I'm sorry if this upset anybody, it just seems to not be a very useful suggestion.
Goatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatdog View Post
Sometimes I avoid asking a question on here and other forums, because somebody always jumps in and tells me to search. Well, I do. Some search engines on some forums are completely useless. Then I ask and still get the same response. Fortunately, these negative responses are far outnumbered by the more helpful folks and I get the answer I need or at least pointed in the right direction. I've owned an RV for 16 years and sometimes still have questions, I sympathize with the newer RVer and how they don't have to learn everything the hard way like I did.

If a person asks a question and you're tired of reading it...can't you just scroll on?

If a newbie was next to you at a campground and asked you if you could show him how to plug in his 30 amp, would you tell him to go do a search?

Myself, I feel good when someone asks a question. I try to help if it's a subject I know well enough. I at least read everyone's answers. Sometimes you learn something new.

I'm sorry if this upset anybody, it just seems to not be a very useful suggestion.
I understand, but think about it from the point of view of those that have seen the same question over and over and over on here because someone didn't take the time to type something as simple as "propane on" in the search box at the top of every page on the forums. Part of learning is doing your own research, not only is it often times much faster (A search for "propane on" returns many results and answers) it saves people from having to repeat the same answers over and over. Many times such threads are on a contentious topic (Oil, which WDH, gas or diesel, etc) where folks provide their opinions and then argue when someone has a different opinion.

Nobody is saying not to start new posts or ask questions, simply see if your question has already been answered by doing a search. That's one of the great features of forums and the internet in general; People can find answers quickly and easily.

If you find answers but they don't go into the detail you need or your question is a little different and not covered then by all means ask away, but when people come along and ask a question that has already been answered multiple times it doesn't add any value and encourages people to be lazy instead of doing their own research (Or even reading the manuals that came with their RV that explain the basics).

Hope this helps you understand where the "Please search" attitude comes from.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #56
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I'm not sure...

But I believe it is the law to shut LP tanks off when refueling...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I'm not sure...

But I believe it is the law to shut LP tanks off when refueling...
Can't find a single law that says that. All the LP laws I find have to do with commercial vehicles and transporting LP, those laws don't apply to RVers.

If it were federal law then there would be stickers warning about this on every RV and in the RV appliance manuals. Ever seen such a thing? I haven't.

The only legal limitations and prohibitions are for certain specific roadways.

Quote:
LP-GAS PROHIBITED:
Maryland/Baltimore: Baltimore Harbor and Fort McHenry (I-95) tunnels. Alternate route for RVs with propane over the Francis Scott Key Bridge is I-695. Massachusetts/Boston Harbor: All. New York/East River: Between Manhattan and Brooklyn: Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Between Manhattan and Queens: Queens Midtown Tunnel. New York and New Jersey/Hudson River: Between Manhattan and Jersey City: Holland Tunnel. Between Manhattan and Fort Lee: Lower level George Washington Bridge (I-95 South) and George Washington Bridge Expressway. Lower level Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Between Manhattan and Weehawken: Lincoln Tunnel.

LP-GAS RESTRICTIONS:
Virginia/Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel: RVs equipped with ICC-approved compressed cooking tanks not exceeding two 45-pound capacity tanks (or two permanently mounted containers with maximum total capacity of 200 pounds) may cross the facility provided that, in the opinion of the toll collector or police sergeant after inspection, the tanks are completely shut off and securely attached. Texas/Houston Ship Channel: Washburn Tunnel between Pasadena and Galena Park: Maximum of two 7˝-gallon containers (30 pounds gas each) or one 10-gallon container (40 pounds gas) of DOT (ICC)-approved type, with shutoff valve at discharge opening. Valve must be closed when in tunnel. LP-gas as vehicle fuel prohibited. 7˝-gallon containers (30 pounds gas each) or one 10-gallon container (40 pounds gas) of DOT (ICC)-approved type, with shutoff valve at discharge opening. Valve must be closed when in tunnel. LP-gas as vehicle fuel prohibited.
Otherwise it comes down to opinion. When fueling the signs say "no open flames." There are no open flames with RV appliances other than the cooktop, though the furnace and water heater could be debatable due to their operation and the amount of heat produced out the vents. Open flame literally means a flame that is out in the open such as from a candle, lighter, torch, match, etc. that could easily catch someone/something on fire or cause injury.

If a fridge flame is enough to cause a fire or explosion while refueling then that's the least of your worries.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #58
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatdog View Post

Goatdog, first, please don't avoid asking a question. As you have pointed out, that is what these forums are for.

As to search suggestions... as mentioned, (especially for newbies) they need to learn how forums work and part of that learning process is searching.
Again... there is nothing negative about learning... and searching is learning. There is an entire section about searching in the FAQ section of the forum so I'm not sure negativity has any correlation.

If you search and can't find the answer you need, simply preface your question by saying you did a search and that lets the rest of us know you at least looked but couldn't find your answer. Simple enough but if you ask the same question that has been answered twice this week, three times last month and hundreds of time before that, it indicates you didn't do your diligence as a forum member.

We are all here to help each other and hopefully we can continue to do so.
This is really one of the better R/V forums for information about all things R/V not just Forest River.

Oh... and to your analogy of helping someone in a campground... you bet if someone needed help with a hook-up, I'd be glad to assist. If they came back 10 more times that week and asked the same question, I'd be suggesting something different.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Goatdog, first, please don't avoid asking a question. As you have pointed out, that is what these forums are for.

As to search suggestions... as mentioned, (especially for newbies) they need to learn how forums work and part of that learning process is searching.
Again... there is nothing negative about learning... and searching is learning. There is an entire section about searching in the FAQ section of the forum so I'm not sure negativity has any correlation.

If you search and can't find the answer you need, simply preface your question by saying you did a search and that lets the rest of us know you at least looked but couldn't find your answer. Simple enough but if you ask the same question that has been answered twice this week, three times last month and hundreds of time before that, it indicates you didn't do your diligence as a forum member.

We are all here to help each other and hopefully we can continue to do so.
This is really one of the better R/V forums for information about all things R/V not just Forest River.

Oh... and to your analogy of helping someone in a campground... you bet if someone needed help with a hook-up, I'd be glad to assist. If they came back 10 more times that week and asked the same question, I'd be suggesting something different.

X?? If someone is a new member then the site is a bit overwhelming. Search can be touchy and somewhat difficult to “see the answer”. I often have to search 2-3 times-different ways to get to a solution....knowing I have seen a thread on it. The non-mobile site in the Advanced Search category is a bit easier to navigate as you can filter more, but I don’t see that on the mobile site.

OP and others do what you do, keep your chin up(and defenses), know that people are from different areas and backgrounds and we don’t all think the same.

I may or not have mentioned before, but I posted on a a/c question and got bit/corrected by someone. I have 35 years of residential/light commercial HVAC experience, a decent amount of auto a/c experience and some refrigeration experience. I also pittle with ice machines. I have even done a little work on Arkla Servel gas fired(absorption) systems. I ain’t blowing my horn...I am just saying I ain’t stupid.
To the end of the rant...corrected my post stating I was incorrect...bla bla. It seems like I rebutted just a bit with no avail and gave up. My only hope was some other dude knew that I knew the correct answer.

One more thing. I posted that a truck chassis MH a/c compressor might be purchased for $200-250 and someone fired back a comment that I was wrong as it cost $1300 on their Honda....did someone say variable displacement swash plate compressor? I am talking reciprocating radial or axial compressor.

Sorry. Rant over.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:22 PM   #60

I didn't really want to keep this going, but...the I-95 Tunnel at Baltimore prohibits propane tanks, as does the State highway 29 tunnel in Trenton, Nj as well as Both the Lincoln and Holland tunnels in NY/NJ. I'm pretty sure the Queens midtown tunnel in NY too. One of the RV map books lists all the tunnels through which propane tanks are prohibited. It's been a few years, but as I recall the Hoover Dam requires tanks to be shut on vehicles crossing the dam itself, not the bypass.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, propane, travel