Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 11:05 PM   #1

Does the Extender for auxilary propane tanks feed the generator in Soleras

I have a new Solera 24R, and have no regrets. Until now.

The on-board propane tank is of fairly limited capacity, and I installed an Extenda-Stay system (Amazon.com: Camco 59123 Propane Brass Tee with 4 Ports and Extension Hose: Automotive) to allow for flexibility of additional external propane in the form of conventional 20 lb tanks.

However, whilst the installation of Extenda was smooth and easy, the connection of a barbeque propane tank, resulted in a low flow/pressure into the interior of our motorhome.

We can run the kitchen stove propane gas burners from the external tank, but the flames diminish sharply as we run more than one burner.

The on-board generator will not run with this external tank. I have replaced everything but the extenda kit (no point in doing that!)- and nothing helps.

My question, therefore, is this. Is this extenda kit able to run an on-board propane generator (I fear, and, currently, believe not).

If not, what are my alternatives? I would really like to be able to bypass the on-board propane tank, and run the propane generator with an external propane tank (esp. the common barbeque tank).

Is this possible? I have scoured all the usual forums, as well as the Amazon review site for the product, and, not getting a clear answer (although there are hints- but hints only- that this Extenda system is perhaps only useful for only adding an external barbeque grill-not what I want). There are mutterings about the low flow/pressure for this system.

Any comments welcome. I cannot believe I am the first to have this issue. Since the on-board LPG generator uses ~10x the propane that the stove jets use, and since I want to conserve the on-board propane, is it possible for me to plug in an external propane source as described above using an Extenda kit to run the generator?

If not this kit, what kit may be able to do this?

Thanks
plstaylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #2

I think you identified the problem when you said the generator uses 10 times the rate of the stove. It would not surprise me if your manual said to refrain from using other propane powered appliances when the generator is running unless you have a very large tank. Propane tanks are sized not so much on how much propane is in them but the rate of flow that can be maintained. The devices use propane gas not liquid so the liquid in the tank must evaporate or be turned to gas. This requires heat input which is limited by the tank size and design. I don't think a regular 20# tank will support generator operation since it is made for just a grill or stove. You would have to tie several together. I installed a emergency house generator (17K) and the gas company told me I needed 2 80 gallon tanks to support the flow rate needed at full power. I think that was overly conservative though.
You should be able research what size tanks are needed by contacting your generator supplier or it might even be in your manual. I have seen in industrial applications a device called an evaporator that could be added to increase heat absorption and flow rate but I don't know if anyone makes one for this application.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
Commercial Member

This got answered in the following thread. Great video post in there as well.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...t-46244-2.html

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, propane, solera, tank