Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #1

Dometic 15000 AC Question

Our thermostat has a high and low setting for the fan speed. it seems to keep the RV cool on low speed normally. We are now full-timing in a park that charges $.18/kwh for electricity. So for the first time I am tuned in to the costs of running the AC here in the South Carolina summer heat! Is there going to be a noticeable difference in usage between high and low? Thanks for any input!
Old 07-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #2

Hi/Low refers to fan speed. Put it in Auto and the fan should run in Low until the compressor starts. It then switches to High. Minor difference in electric consumption based on fan speed.

18 cents per KWH sounds pretty high. I wonder what the electric company charges the CG. We have to pay 12.5 cents at home and we think that’s high.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #3

Thanks emm-dee. The rate is awfully high - I've never paid more than $.12. But we have a good monthly rate of $355 that includes everything else, so I guess we'll stay put.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperry View Post
Thanks emm-dee. The rate is awfully high - I've never paid more than $.12. But we have a good monthly rate of $355 that includes everything else, so I guess we'll stay put.
Well, you gotta point there. You could use a lot of electric and still be way ahead.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:01 PM   #5

Selecting a fan speed (HI/LO) for the AC is a matter of preference. However; if a fan speed (HI/LO) is selected the fan will not shut down if and when the set temp is reached. AUTO typically starts in high fan speed and will revert to low fan speed when the AC has cooled to the ambient to within about 4 degrees of the thermostat setting and then revert to low fan speed. The fan will shut down with the AC when the thermostat temp is reached. Typically the fan speed will be low when the AC again starts up to bring the temp back down to thermostat setting.

Added. In fan AUTO the fan speed will automatically revert to either HI or LO as needed.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #6

emm-dee: I live in SC. We pay a co-op 18cents/hour...but some of that is paying for the recent Sumter Nuclear bankruptcy. We're in a KOA in NYS presently. No xtra for power. Camp owner pays $15K/month for summer power. He pays commercial rate here which is 29cents.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
emm-dee: I live in SC. We pay a co-op 18cents/hour...but some of that is paying for the recent Sumter Nuclear bankruptcy. We're in a KOA in NYS presently. No xtra for power. Camp owner pays $15K/month for summer power. He pays commercial rate here which is 29cents.

Thanks for that info. I guess I shouldn’t be complaining about 12.5. I was hoping our rates would go down when a big solar farm (30 megawatt) was put in about a mile from my house but didn’t happen. All the output is being sold to Georgia Power and I sure don’t want to have to deal with that outfit.

Tags
500, dometic, forester