Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 10:42 PM   #1

Drawer stop/hold (for lack of a better term)

Hello,

We have a 2017 Forrester in our unit, we have two drawers directly below the wardrobe closest. The top drawer suddenly would "close/stay closed" and I saw that the little plastic clip was messed up/broke (NOT the part that attaches to the drawer itself, but the framework of the cabinet)

We are leaving on a huge trip in a couple of weeks and I know this is a simple little plastic, probably a 3-4 dollar part, BUT, does anyone know a part number or where I can order a replacement??? (I'll probably order two if I can find a place?)

I'll attempt to attach a pic.

Thank you very much!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	8-18-2019, Drwarer stop.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	212843
Old 08-18-2019, 11:04 PM   #2

This type latch seems to be know as a Grabber Catch. Brand names vary, but they all look and operate the same. I just order them from eBay sellers. Sometimes they ship from Elkhart, Indiana. The 5 pound pull version seems to work well for me for smaller drawers, but the 10 pound version seems to be more commonly available.
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:10 PM   #3

Thank you - I appreciate it!!! After reading your post, we checked amazon and at the risk of not getting the exact same model, we found some that look very similar so we ordered. I don’t mind having extra if these are different and we’re able to make them work, great, if not, maybe we’ll find the exact ones before our trip.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #4

I just replaced 1 of mine. Bought a 4 pack from Amazon. Not oem brand, but works fine.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #5

I know you've already ordered a new catch, but for next time, you can get replacement catches of all types at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.
One of the first things we do with a new RV is replace all the cheap, weak drawer and cabinet catches with stronger catches. Saves us from doing them one at a time later.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #6

We ordered a Sunseeker 2860DS in February. When driving it home one of the door catches broke. The factory was gracious about sending me a bag of replacements, but on our first camping trip a second drawer latch broke. (FR: WHY SUCH POOR CATCHES?) Rather than using the factory catches we elected to replace all of our drawer catches with something sturdier. I don't have photos to share, but we went to RVupgrades.com and bought 4 two packs of their RV Designer H221 brass door catches, product code 31-1459. A two pack costs $5.71. We now have 25 nights aboard our camper and haven't broken a catch since installing the replacements.
Camp2Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
Drawer stop/hold (for lack of a better term)

Don't know if you have the same part that came with my RV or not. My RV is a 25' 2016 Forester 2401W MBS.

I've had to replace three. I've found that too much weight in a drawer will be the problem for me.

Remove affixed to the wood trim (not the drawer) and you will see stamped into the part the name of the manufacturer and the part number.

I bought replacements from amazon.

Part #: XOOOVPIH23 Decorite 5838-RV Black Push Latch - 5lb-Cl-308

Good luck!
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #8

Thanks everyone!!! LOL, not sure whether to laugh or cry about the cheap quality??? Does make me feel better that we've stayed in ours 194 days now and 23,000 miles before the "first one broke". Upgraded latches sound like a good idea!

And as for weight, the drawer only had underwear, socks and a couple of lightweight pull over shirts, so OH well, we'll get it fixed and be on the road - thank you all!
Old 08-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
I just replaced 1 of mine. Bought a 4 pack from Amazon. Not oem brand, but works fine.
I laugh at myself sometimes looking for OEM brand for replacement... then I say to self, why do I want to purchase that... that is just what broke, so let's try something different!

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #10

We have owned 2 sunseekers and the third one should be delivered this week we have never had any major problems with them. The drawer latches have always been the biggest problem they are either mounted incorrectly (screwed into the edge of plywood) or just not strong enough for the drawer.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #11
jkoenig24

I believe the OEM latches are rated at 5#. On eBay, I found 10# latches which have been woking MUCH better (I need to get another pack as well as the pot metal hinges that are on the louvered doors hiding the washer/dryer).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:56 PM   #12

Had same issues with drawers in our Lexington.

Replaced all weird weak costly plastic latches with these from Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ric...tch/1001073123
Old 08-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #13

This was an exact match for the latch's installed in the RV from the factory.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is now my fourth season and I have had three of them fail. I purchased 5 of these and just leave them in the RV. If one fails I just unscrew it and then screw in the new one. This way I can use same screws and holes and do not have to remeasure or make new screw holes. I don't particularly like these latches as it seems they are prone to failure but just have not had the time to find a good replacement and then do the work of replacing them.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #14

Just got the 4-pak I ordered from Amazon and it matches the old one exactly so I slapped it in and we're good to go with 3 extras now!

OK, to be perfectly honest, I often share that I'm both mechanically and tech challenged, but to prove it, I couldn't figure out how to remove that damn drawer to save my life so replacing the receiving end of the latch would be how Stevie Wonder would do it, and that was NOT easy!

LOL, my wife says "don't you think we should get a short screwdriver like the one we just used to leave in here?" And I suggested us two dorks should probably just ask someone someday HOW to remove the drawers from the drawer guide, because it HAS to be easy, right?

Once again, thanks for the help folks!!

Bogey
Old 08-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post

LOL, my wife says "don't you think we should get a short screwdriver like the one we just used to leave in here?" And I suggested us two dorks should probably just ask someone someday HOW to remove the drawers from the drawer guide, because it HAS to be easy, right?

Once again, thanks for the help folks!!

Bogey
Actually, it is pretty easy to remove the drawers once you know the secret trick. Look at the picture below and you’ll see a little black plastic “lever” where the two parts of the slide join. Pulling that lever releases the two parts to allow removal. You have to hold the release levers simultaneously on each side. They move in opposite directions...meaning the left moves up and the right moves down (or opposite, meaning the left moves down and right moves up...don’t remember which).

To reinstall the drawer put the slider rails together and close. The levers will automatically reset.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:26 PM   #16

I did NOT see those levers when we were out there but I’ll try again tomorrow- thank you!!

UPDATE: LOL, I was sure I didn't see those little black levers (I actually looked for something like that as I've taken house drawers out before) so I just grabbed a flashlight and went out and looked - there they were!!!!

Thanks again!!!!
Old 08-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #17
Site Team

One lever goes up, the other side goes down.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester