Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #1

Dream Dinette Table

Seeing if anybody else wife is having the problem mine is.
The table is too high to sit at, makes you feel like a little kid and not comfortable.
When we were at the RV show the sales guy said it was adjustable to any height but it is not. It only locks in one position at 31" inches from the floor. She works on our computer for her business even when traveling every day.
A comfortable height is 27" inches.
Talk to the manufacturer of the mechanism for the table and they said it only locks in one position and it should be lower than 31". It should be for the model Forest buys at 29" but because of how they mount it up a sill it is two inches higher. She was going to tell her sales guy to talk to Forest River about how they mount them.
So now item on my honey do list is fix her table. I have a couple of ideas and thinking about moving the latch to stop it in one direction and a detent pin in the other direction.
Anybody got any other ideas on how to fix the problem or is everybody else wife happy?
allagante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #2

What kind of rig do you have? Travel trailer? Fifth wheel? Motor home?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #3

X2 , exactly what tabke are we talking here?? Just Switch it to a post mount style and make the posts whatever length you want/need?....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #4

It is a 3051S with the magic table with no post
Old 07-23-2014, 07:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksilvi View Post
What kind of rig do you have? Travel trailer? Fifth wheel? Motor home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
X2 , exactly what tabke are we talking here?? Just Switch it to a post mount style and make the posts whatever length you want/need?....
Guys, he posted in the Forester - Class C section.

It is a Cass Hudson Dream Dinette which is a sidewall mount dinette.

To allegante look at this photo:

I'm thinking you can slide the mechanism mounted to the table out a little which in turn would lower the table. You might have to inspect and double check to make certain. You want to be certain you don't get too close to the end/edge.
A post on the table is found here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tte-27009.html

I have my own Dream Dinette question but I will start my own post rather than hi-jack this one.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #6

allagante, I saw this mod on the Dream Dinette - basically installing a slide bolt as a locking mechanism. This may provide a solution versus moving hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dreamdinette lock.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	58760  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #7

Thanks bgilly
Moving the mechanism and using the latch would stop it from going down, but not up. The slide bolt is a good idea to also add, to lock it in the other direction. been looking for a detent pin which may be easier but have not found the right size yet. Also probably want it to be able to go to the original height when I have to get under it to plug things in where the electrical connection is in the back corner.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by allagante View Post
Moving the mechanism and using the latch would stop it from going down, but not up. The slide bolt is a good idea to also add, to lock it in the other direction. been looking for a detent pin which may be easier but have not found the right size yet. Also probably want it to be able to go to the original height when I have to get under it to plug things in where the electrical connection is in the back corner.
The thought on moving the latch was to give you the lower height you want. It should stay down even though it has rail left to raise back up but my experience is I have to lift up on the table a little to assist the gas shock to lift. I assume the manufacturer designed it to be balanced this way so the table is not popping up on its own.
I found when I release the locking pin and push down on the table - it stays at the position wherever I stop. Problem is when the table "floats" like that, I wouldn't dare putting anything on it.

You could make a detent mechanism in the nylon sliding block but it would take some machining to get your detent holes in the proper place on the track and the detent mechanism into the nylon slide block.

Bobby
Old 07-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #9

Mine will raise by itself. Maybe because it is new. Need to take a couple of cold ones and go lay under the table and think about it for while to think of the easiest way to get want she wants.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #10

Or, it could be that mine has a weaker gas shock.

No matter, I wouldn't chance it unless it can be locked in place.

Bobby
Old 07-25-2014, 04:25 AM   #11

Or maybe she could find a cushion to sit on that would raise her to a comfortable height. That would probably be the simplest solution...
Pamelaq is offline   Reply With Quote